Sponsored

Anyone have water in their front camera?

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I noticed the other day that my front camera view was VERY blurry. I finally found a minute to take a look at the camera and this is what I found. Camera is about a third full with water. All those spots are on the inside. I logged a Service ticket.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone have water in their front camera? PXL_20230328_001137985
Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Yep. Taking mine to the Service Center on Friday to get it replaced and re-sealed.
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone have water in their front camera? IMG_7158.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone have water in their front camera? vlcsnap-2023-03-22-12h23m46s361

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
That’s immensely frustrating, but should be a quick fix.

The lack of Radar for adaptive cruise has already caused me issues in the rain. I hope they improve the algos.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That’s immensely frustrating, but should be a quick fix.

The lack of Radar for adaptive cruise has already caused me issues in the rain. I hope they improve the algos.
They do have, and use, RADAR for ACC.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

My ACC hasn't been affected by the water in the camera, surprisingly. On my most recent road trip, I started to wonder if the camera that is used for ACC isn't the one that is mounted up at the top of the windshield.

I started to suspect this because we would get "camera obscured" messages, but when we checked the front camera view, it was fine. Then we would run the wipers and the ACC would work again.

This is all just my theory with nothing but personal experience to back it, but it does seem to suggest the bumper camera is not the exclusive source of data for ACC.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yep, R&R'd in 2.5hrs labor. Noted widespread issue - not quoting tech, but that's in essence what he said. Can't do on site- has to be done at SC. PIA.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
They do have, and use, RADAR for ACC.
Interesting. I get “camera blurred, cruise deactivated” messages on my truck in bad weather.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Interesting. I get “camera blurred, cruise deactivated” messages on my truck in bad weather.
Yes, it requires the camera be clear, but it also uses RADAR.

OP
OP
SACDFJC

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Rivian scheduled and appointment in May for the repair. I added a few other small items to the list since the truck has to go to the SC to be fixed. It sounds like they just replace the camera. I'll report back post fix.

Reactions: Rad

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My ACC hasn't been affected by the water in the camera, surprisingly. On my most recent road trip, I started to wonder if the camera that is used for ACC isn't the one that is mounted up at the top of the windshield.

I started to suspect this because we would get "camera obscured" messages, but when we checked the front camera view, it was fine. Then we would run the wipers and the ACC would work again.

This is all just my theory with nothing but personal experience to back it, but it does seem to suggest the bumper camera is not the exclusive source of data for ACC.
I can't see the bumper camera as being the source.

It's likely very easy to test this theory by covering up the camera in the windshield and then seeing if driver+ still works.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It uses both.

It does make sense to use both as radar as issues detecting stopped objects, and issues with locating exactly where a return is coming from.

So I can see the camera being additional data for redundancy and safety.

The problem is whoever implemented the code/algorithms didn't do a very good job. I've never driven an adaptive cruise control system so negatively impacted by mild/moderate weather as driver+.

The only thing that comes close to as bad is back when Tesla switched to Tesla Vision and ditched the radar. That was a mess for a few months and then it started to improve.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

It's definitely the windshield cameras. The field of view on the bumper cams is not well suited to driver assist, and it's poor quality with no wiper coverage.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

It's definitely the windshield cameras. The field of view on the bumper cams is not well suited to driver assist, and it's poor quality with no wiper coverage.
I can confirm. As I said, my bumper camera is completely obscured, but I was able to run with ACC this morning with no issues or errors.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I can confirm. As I said, my bumper camera is completely obscured, but I was able to run with ACC this morning with no issues or errors.
Same for me when my camera was filled with moisture - no issues whatsoever using ACC, and that was over a period of 6 weeks until I could afford the time off to get to the SC for an R&R.
Sponsored