Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’m a car guy from way back. I’ve totally bought into EV’s and eliminating the use of fossil fuels. I was hoping for the Rivian/Lincoln version, but since that’s not happening, I‘ve been debating between the 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge and the R1S. After a lot of research, I prefer to put my money on R.J. and his team. I’m very impressed with what they’re trying to accomplish. I put my deposit on an R1S Wednesday, July 1st.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
I'm not from Ohio but noticed you're from Columbus. I just so happened to read an interesting article today from Ars Technica about Columbus after they completely a multi-year challenge selected by Department of Transportation and was named America's first smart city.

"This Ohio city’s plan to get more people to buy electric cars worked"
Columbus, Ohio, exceeded its goal of more than 3,200 new BEVs and plug-in hybrids.

Did you happen to take advantage of the city created "experience center?"

The experience center sounded similar to the EV experience center(s?) in the UK. I first heard about it in a FullyCharged video series on buying an EV. Seems like the US (and other countries?) could benefit from having these experience centers scattered throughout the country. Of course it requires funding as was the case with Columbus that received $40M from the DOT.

OP
OldEVGuy

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’m very familiar with the experience center you’re referring to, but haven’t used it myself. Here’s the website they’re using for Smart Columbus: https://smart.columbus.gov/
There’s a link to the Experience Center on the site. It’s very nice, and has been successful. But, as you say, requires funding that isn’t always easy to find.

My son, who is a civil engineer, first turned me on to EV’s. He began working on projects for the State of Ohio and the City of Columbus, related to the charging infrastructure. In fact, the state just released the charging study report he helped write.
https://drive.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/driveohio/about-driveohio/resources/charging-study

I also follow FullyCharged and their YouTube channel. I’m hoping to make it to their next event in Texas, if this virus ever gets under control.

Advertisement

Advertisement