Sponsored

Anyone else notice their speedometer is actually much more accurate now?

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Since taking delivery the speed actually shown on my truck is faster than my actual ground speed. So if the truck speedometer says I am doing 65MPH, I am actually going about 61 or 62 MPH. About a 5% difference. I was told by a few people at Rivian that this was intentional but the large variance is too big and they are going to fix that.

Soooo I noticed early this week that my speed is very close. Now when I am showing 65MPH I am actually going 64MPH, seems to be off by less than 1 or 2 percent now. Nothing in the last update about correcting the speedometer. I am glad they did as when I "think" I was doing the speed limit I was actually going to slow and pissing people off. Also the top regulated speed of 115 was not obtainable!

Curious if others can pull out a GPS app to test their speed and see if this was "silently" fixed for everyone.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It was fixed loudly in the last patch.

First I've heard of not being able to hit 115, but I haven't heard of anyone trying. My tent and awning have been on my truck since the update and that stuff isn't rated for that kind of speed. I'm guessing you topped out at 112? That's the 1-2 mph over 110 that my truck seemed actually capable of.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I haven't used my GPS but the radar showed me still 5-6 mph high last weekend. I keep meaning to pull out my GPS or radar gun and check. I have found phone apps vary too much.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
The release notes for the most recent software update included more accurate speedometer. I tested mine with a GPS app and found it to be within 1 or 2 mph at freeway speed. Not great but acceptable.

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I must have missed that in the update. But I am happy they fixed it. My understanding is manufactures in general are intentionally making the speedometer lower than it really is to avoid legal issues. Better for you to think your going too fast and actually to slow than the other way around. But it was off a lot. Seems to be within 1mph now.
Sponsored