Sponsored

Anyone else notice PAAK working worse after 2023.6.2 update?

rockdogz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
When I first got my R1T, the PAAK was pretty finicky. I would walk up to the truck and would stand there for a few seconds, and only when I reached for my phone would it unlock. It's like I had to threaten to unlock it manually before it would actually unlock. Sometimes I had to actually go into the app and actually unlock from there.
After a few updates (don't remember which one in particular) the PAAK started working flawlessly. I would walk up to the truck and it would just unlock - every time. When I walked away it would lock fine - every time. However, after the latest update I'm back to the previous behavior where the truck sometimes unlocks but in general I'm having to reach for my phone again. Also, I'm intermittently experiencing an issue where the truck won't recognize my PAAK when I get in to start driving from home - I have to go into the app or turn bluetooth on/off. This happens more infrequently than the unlocking issues, but I never had this problem before. Anyone else? I had turned on the keyfob proximity when the update came through but I'll try turning off proximity on the fob since I don't use it and see if that makes a difference.
Sponsored

centexR1S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Tundra, CR-5
Occupation
Retired
When I first got my R1T, the PAAK was pretty finicky. I would walk up to the truck and would stand there for a few seconds, and only when I reached for my phone would it unlock. It's like I had to threaten to unlock it manually before it would actually unlock. Sometimes I had to actually go into the app and actually unlock from there.
After a few updates (don't remember which one in particular) the PAAK started working flawlessly. I would walk up to the truck and it would just unlock - every time. When I walked away it would lock fine - every time. However, after the latest update I'm back to the previous behavior where the truck sometimes unlocks but in general I'm having to reach for my phone again. Also, I'm intermittently experiencing an issue where the truck won't recognize my PAAK when I get in to start driving from home - I have to go into the app or turn bluetooth on/off. This happens more infrequently than the unlocking issues, but I never had this problem before. Anyone else? I had turned on the keyfob proximity when the update came through but I'll try turning off proximity on the fob since I don't use it and see if that makes a difference.
My recent problems support your post. I received my R1S in late January 2023 so I did not experience your early issues with the early updates. My iphone worked flawlessly from the start using the late 2022 software. Once I updated with the first OTA of 2023 both our phones started failing to start the car. The phones never fail to unlock the car yet often will not start the car it just unlocked.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
Mine has gone from "works perfectly" to "having to wait next to the front door for 10 seconds before it'll unlock, if ever".

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
PAAK improved for me the last couple of updates but for the latest 2023.6.2, I haven't noticed a change so far. I have an iPhone 13 mini.

Sponsored

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Mine isn't as good as it was before the update. Pretty flawless before...now I need to wait more often than not.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Mine has gone from "works perfectly" to "having to wait next to the front door for 10 seconds before it'll unlock, if ever".
Mine had an issue the first time driving after the update, but closing the app completely and reopening fixed it. Zero issues since

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
With my iPhone mine has gone from work on walk up, to wait next to the front door for 5/10 seconds before unlock

Heimat

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
pipefitter, rental property
Had the same problem after the update. Turning off the key fob proximity in the truck has helped but the PAAK is still glitchy.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
All posts about PAAK should probably include the phone model... the performance of mine changed quite a bit when I upgraded phones a few months ago.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Yeah, I was feeling pretty good about it on the last version, but it's definitely back to making me take my phone out way more often now.

Previously when this happened, I'd reboot the phone (and/or toggle bluetooth in control panel), and it usually would go back to working better for a while. That doesn't seem to be helping yet.

I do think there's a bit of closing in on the target for them here. Given that they are trying to get probably a couple hundred types of phone to work, as well as dealing with complexities of wireless communication & estimating distance in a noisy environment, it's not too surprising they go back and forth for each class of phone.

At any rate, it used to work better for me before, too.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Maybe a slight improvement for me. Seems quicker and more consistent. iPhone 13, R1T.

ER1T

First Name
Er
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT
Definitely more glitchy for me after the update. Multiple times I’ve walked up to my locked truck, and nothing happened. Reached into pocket to pull out phone, and by the time I unlocked and opened app, the truck unlocked. Also a few times when trying to unlock or open hood using PAAK, I’ll get a can’t connect error, then respond again after 10 seconds. Galaxy S21 Ultra

jbrumsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Miata RF, F-Pace S, Backdraft Cobra
Occupation
IT
I'm also experiencing the same thing on my iphone after the latest update. Most often that not I have to wait 5-10 seconds next to the truck for PAAK to unlock the truck. Before the update it was very consistent on unlocking as I walked up to the vehicle.
Sponsored