First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Hope you have good liability and umbrella coverage. Modifying a mandated safety feature; risky, big time. Hope this never comes up for you, but the feature is there for the people you don't see who also don't hear you. Fingers crossed for you both...
Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of the current sound. My druthers, if allowed under the PWS rules, would be the option of no sound if under 5mi/hour, but no ability to turn it off at higher speeds.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
That’s a good point. @mkhuffman , you may want to ask your insurance agent if you’re covered in that scenario, too: “Will I be covered if I intentionally alter the government-mandated Pedestrian Warning System on my EV and accidentally injure or kill a pedestrian?”
If I actually worried about that, I would turn up the volume on my PWS when in high traffic areas. But I don't. I just pay close attention to where the people are.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Regarding turn signals, I do the same thing you do. Regarding fake car noises, I don't. I hate them. Hate. I want a quiet car, and now I have the quietest possible. I highly recommend you be like Mike and get a quiet car.
Oh, I like a quiet car, too, but not at the expense of safety. I don’t know about the mental gymnastics involved in using turn signals to let people with sight perceive what you’re doing but denying people with visual impairments the ability to perceive you.

I would absolutely LOVE to drive along slowly off-road in near silence. Given a choice, I’d make the PWS the sound of tires crunching on gravel since I think it’d serve the purpose and be less artificial-sounding.

Taking my personal desires out of it, I am sure that the government has done studies to justify the requirement and extensive research to develop specifics of exactly what is required. I couldn’t sleep at night if someone got injured because I thought my desire for a quiet car outweighed the safety of pedestrians around me.

If consideration of others doesn’t sway you then do yourself a favor and ask your insurance agent about coverage if you intentionally disable a safety device and a person gets hurt as a result. At least you’ll know if you’re covered or if you’re risking a sizable chunk of your personal assets by giving your insurance company an excuse to not cover you.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I’m glad to hear the turn signal is quiet. The ones in my Toyotas are obnoxiously loud. I can barely hear the one in my GTI and I like it that way.
So you know. There are actually 2 turn signal sounds. The quiet nominal sound (water drop) and a more alerting sound when someone is in the blind spot area in the turning direction.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, I like a quiet car, too, but not at the expense of safety. I don’t know about the mental gymnastics involved in using turn signals to let people with sight perceive what you’re doing but denying people with visual impairments the ability to perceive you.

I would absolutely LOVE to drive along slowly off-road in near silence. Given a choice, I’d make the PWS the sound of tires crunching on gravel since I think it’d serve the purpose and be less artificial-sounding.

Taking my personal desires out of it, I am sure that the government has done studies to justify the requirement and extensive research to develop specifics of exactly what is required. I couldn’t sleep at night if someone got injured because I thought my desire for a quiet car outweighed the safety of pedestrians around me.

If consideration of others doesn’t sway you then do yourself a favor and ask your insurance agent about coverage if you intentionally disable a safety device and a person gets hurt as a result. At least you’ll know if you’re covered or if you’re risking a sizable chunk of your personal assets by giving your insurance company an excuse to not cover you.
You should do what I did then. Put a volume control on the speaker, so you can leave it on when in urban areas, and turn it down when camping or going off road. Then you will sleep well and have a quiet car when you really want it.

As far as my life goes, it is much more common for a car to be in my blind spot than for a blind pedestrian to walk out in front of me in the areas where I drive. I have never even seen a blind pedestrian when driving my car.

In all seriousness, in a really congested place with a lot of pedestrians I might turn it up so they can hear me. I really don't care if the car is quiet then. But in my driveway and most of the places I drive, the fake sound is totally unnecessary. Totally.

You have a lot more faith in government regulators than I do. Those people are not our best or our brightest, but you keep on trusting them to make decisions for you. And I will continue to resent them making decisions for me.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

You should do what I did then. Put a volume control on the speaker, so you can leave it on when in urban areas, and turn it down when camping or going off road. Then you will sleep well and have a quiet car when you really want it.

As far as my life goes, it is much more common for a car to be in my blind spot than for a blind pedestrian to walk out in front of me in the areas where I drive. I have never even seen a blind pedestrian when driving my car.

In all seriousness, in a really congested place with a lot of pedestrians I might turn it up so they can hear me. I really don't care if the car is quiet then. But in my driveway and most of the places I drive, the fake sound is totally unnecessary. Totally.

You have a lot more faith in government regulators than I do. Those people are not our best or our brightest, but you keep on trusting them to make decisions for you. And I will continue to resent them making decisions for me.
Nah, I would never do what you did because I’m unwilling to risk the safety of others simply to remove a minor annoyance to me. I wish everyone around you the best of luck so that no visually impaired or inattentive pedestrians ever meet up with you when you’re not aware of them, for whatever reason.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I like the turn signal, and find the chirp to be fine. Owl would be sweet, too.

I wish the audio dampening/warnings were a little less aggressive when parking. I know there's a pole there, I'm going like .5mph. This is what parking looks like in a truck (I think). Let me listen to my dumb podcast or whatever.

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
I"m in the minority, I like the sounds!
I like the sounds too!

Sometimes I even turn off the radio just to hear the motors. I waited for my truck for almost 3-years, and I have no gripes or pet peeves about anything about the R1T. Thanks to RIVIAN for their overly ambitious engineering that seems to be continuously improving.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nah, I would never do what you did because I’m unwilling to risk the safety of others simply to remove a minor annoyance to me. I wish everyone around you the best of luck so that no visually impaired or inattentive pedestrians ever meet up with you when you’re not aware of them, for whatever reason.
It is more than a minor annoyance to me, and I am not risking anyone's safety. But you think what you want to think, and have a great day!

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I love the lock sound--and would have loved to keep the owl sound for the winter.

The truck is amazing, even if the turn signal sound isn't great.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I think I'm in the 'like' camp. Can't say I even realised there was an active PWS system in the R1T. It's just the fan noise I guess? In 3 months it's been rare to have someone else drive the car while I've been standing near it. The newer Teslas have a super noticeable UFO-landing sound - glad it's not that.

The turn and lock sounds are fine IMO. The turn signal is very low and I've caught myself having the signal on far longer than needed many times, especially with music on pretty loud (which is always as a Stones fan).

The only thing that really bothers me is the removal of the Halloween sounds. Once an OTA puts stuff in, it should be left there as an option going forward.
Sponsored