Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software

JAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I prefer the Rivian pedestrian sound 1000x to Tesla. From my inside my bedroom I hear my neighbor's Tesla every morning - the hovercar sounding whir. Maybe it's cute the first time you notice it but not the thousandth time, it's just stupid. In comparison, I like the nothingness sound of the Rivian hum.

I also hated the mach-e's delivery van style backup beep.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I prefer the Rivian pedestrian sound 1000x to Tesla. From my inside my bedroom I hear my neighbor's Tesla every morning - the hovercar sounding whir. Maybe it's cute the first time you notice it but not the thousandth time, it's just stupid. In comparison, I like the nothingness sound of the Rivian hum.

I also hated the mach-e's delivery van style backup beep.
Agreed, not a fan of the Tesla sound at all...and I hear them all day everyday in my neighborhood.

Also had an Audi etron GT drive by me yesterday, and was surprised at how loud it's PWS was. Was easily 5x louder than Rivian's.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
1) I donā€™t mind the blower sound. Itā€™s much less objectionable than a lot of other PWSā€™.
2) The chirp must be drowned out by the door latches because Iā€™ve never heard it. Or maybe Iā€™ve just never noticed it.
3) I like the pock-pock sound. I agree itā€™s hard to hear but I would cal that ā€œunobtrusiveā€. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Nope. Mountain Bluebird recorded in Yellowstone.
That was close, you almost got pitched into the Valley of Death!

(Monty Python And The Holy Grail reference for those who didn't get my original joke question).

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed, not a fan of the Tesla sound at all...and I hear them all day everyday in my neighborhood.

Also had an Audi etron GT drive by me yesterday, and was surprised at how loud it's PWS was. Was easily 5x louder than Rivian's.
Yeah, I agree. I hate that Tesla sound. I also feel my brother's etron is louder than my R1T. And then if you've ever driven the Kia Niro EV, you won't mind any noises other EV's make. lol. When Rivian was fixing some delivery items, Enterprise gave me one of those, and we couldn't use it early mornings because of how loud the reverse noise was. It would literally be loud enough to wake up the neighbors.

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Barn swallow

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The only time the sound would be needed is when backing up. If you use situational awareness, you can mitigate this risk. In general, itā€™s pretty annoying and pollutes the environment with sound. The Toyota and Nissan ones are incredibly loud and annoying.
Having had an EV for 3+ years, first the Kia Niro EV with the R1T added, I think some PWS sound is a good thing. Putting aside the visually impaired issue, which the PWS is designed to address, there have been a number of times when people looking at their phones looked up when they heard something they didn't recognize. This is preferable to having to honk at them or, worse, misjudge whether they are paying attention. That said, the musical warble on the Kia is much better than the R1T sound. Would be nice if we had a set of options, if not full ringtone flexibility. Volume can be an issue, too. My 2019 Kia is fine. Later models are much louder for some reason. There are long threads about this on the Niro EV forum https://www.insideevsforum.com/comm...iro-vess-reverse-chime-defeat-solution.11245/ https://www.insideevsforum.com/comm...-virtual-engine-sound-system-on-2020-us.9591/

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Having had an EV for 3+ years, first the Kia Niro EV with the R1T added, I think some PWS sound is a good thing. Putting aside the visually impaired issue, which the PWS is designed to address, there have been a number of times when people looking at their phones looked up when they heard something they didn't recognize. This is preferable to having to honk at them or, worse, misjudge whether they are paying attention. That said, the musical warble on the Kia is much better than the R1T sound. Would be nice if we had a set of options, if not full ringtone flexibility. Volume can be an issue, too. My 2019 Kia is fine. Later models are much louder for some reason. There are long threads about this on the Niro EV forum https://www.insideevsforum.com/comm...iro-vess-reverse-chime-defeat-solution.11245/ https://www.insideevsforum.com/comm...-virtual-engine-sound-system-on-2020-us.9591/
Legislation in 2020 changed some of the guidelines for PWS. For instance, prior to this being signed into law, Tesla did not incorporate this on their vehicles.

AsianPersuasian

First Name
SuperDave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Rivian "lock" sound is one of the best features IMO. It is quiet, discreet, and not obnoxious at all. On all my vehicles I either disable the lock sound or reduce the volume to the minimum. With my R1T, I don't feel the need to change anything.

Compared to my neighbor's F-150, which he insists on locking three or four times in a row just to be sure, even at 2am. The F-150 has a super loud honk, which can't be disabled or made softer. IDK why he can't just manually lock it and walk away. Or why he can't just press the FOB button once to lock the vehicle and hear the solenoids throw the locks closed. No, he has to click the FOB button two, three, four times ... I counted 16 times once.
I thinks he does it more to annoy the crap out of you! lol

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
The only sound changes I would want to see are:

Increase the volume of the turn signal based on travel speed, maybe on surrounding audio levels. But definitely it needs to be made louder when driving on the highway. I've had a few "old idiot" moments where I didn't realize I bumped the turn signal, and the signal was going off while driving because I couldn't hear it (and also, you cannot see that the stalk is engaged since it returns to neutral.

I actually like the calmness of the sound when at lower speeds.

Bring back the owl, and let us change that sound. Very low priority, but it would be nice.

Maybe implement different reversing sounds. They shouldn't be spaceshippy like Tesla, but I like the uniqueness of our friend's Model 3 when backing up.

Also, I don't have the issue with the bird chirp being hard to hear or being doubled. Mine always sounds great, and I love that I can tell easily in a parking lot that the truck locked while walking away. Our Tesla doesn't make any noise, so you have to look back and check every time.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I sense a birdwatchers brawl about to breakout on this forum šŸ˜‚

ā€¦the Cornell ornithology lab puts out a free phone app called Merlin bird ID. You can use it to sample bird calls and it will tell you which birds are present within the range of your phones mic. Iā€™m going to try it on the Rivian first thing tomorrow.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
ā€¦the Cornell ornithology lab puts out a free phone app called Merlin bird ID. You can use it to sample bird calls and it will tell you which birds are present within the range of your phones mic. Iā€™m going to try it on the Rivian first thing tomorrow.
I already tried that. Merlin can't recognize it.

But yes, Rivian has said it's a Mountain Bluebird. I briefly considered a personalized license plate of MOBL (the official abbreviation of Mountain Bluebird) for my Rivian Blue / Ocean Coast R1T because of the color and the chirp.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mountain_Bluebird/id#
Sponsored