Sponsored

Anyone driven their R1T from Central Oregon down US-97 to California?

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
It's pretty much a charging wasteland on US-97 between Bend and I-5, although there's a ChargePoint Station in Klamath Falls. I'm curious to know if any Rivian owner's have made the trip and if they have any recommendations. Both the Rivian app and ABRP think I can get to Dunsmuir, CA in Conserve mode, if I charge to 100% from home to start.

Would like to hear if anyone has real world experience, as I hope to be able to drive to Livermore in early December for my daughter's wedding.

Thanks - Steve
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

US-97 has been closed a few times lately due to wildfires in Southern Oregon/Northern California. Make sure it's open before you try.

Note that there are *NO* >50 kW chargers along that route - be prepared for long charging stops.

I've driven that route in a Tesla, not in my Rivian yet. (Furthest I've gone that way is LaPine State Park.)

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
US-97 has been closed a few times lately due to wildfires in Southern Oregon/Northern California. Make sure it's open before you try.

Note that there are *NO* >50 kW chargers along that route - be prepared for long charging stops.

I've driven that route in a Tesla, not in my Rivian yet. (Furthest I've gone that way is LaPine State Park.)
I think by early December there shouldn't be any fires. But "Trip-Check" is your friend.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I have not but some folks I spoke with in Yakima last weekend has driven their Mach-E up 97 without any issues (and coincidentally were driving up from Livermore). Not like for like, but the R1T has better range than the Mach-E, but is also faster to charge so they are less inconvenienced by 50kW chargers.

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I have not but some folks I spoke with in Yakima last weekend has driven their Mach-E up 97 without any issues (and coincidentally were driving up from Livermore). Not like for like, but the R1T has better range than the Mach-E, but is also faster to charge so they are less inconvenienced by 50kW chargers.
Good to hear! Any idea on how many stops they took and if they had problems with the any of the chargers?

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Good to hear! Any idea on how many stops they took and if they had problems with the any of the chargers?
I don't know how many stops, but they said charging was fine / no major issues.

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I don't know how many stops, but they said charging was fine / no major issues.
I'll probably take a 2/3 day trip down to the Mt. Shasta area in a couple of weeks just to get the lay of the land.

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Am planning to take a trip from Bend to Napa, Palo Alto, Venice, and finally Irvine the week of 10/20. Will post on how charging is if you haven’t gone yet.

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Just finished a trip from Bend, to Vacaville, Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo, Marina Del Rey, and finally Irvine. Charging in Klamath Falls is a must(charge point) , then after that Andersen, Ca (EA). After that it's smooth sailing with chargers. Didn't find it too difficult to charge. R1T was such a pleasure to drive (mainly in AP). Looking to post my travel experience in detail, and hopefully post pics of the trip. Hope this helps

MikeFVF51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 Pro RWD, VW Routan
Occupation
Retired Sales Manager
Just finished a trip from Bend, to Vacaville, Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo, Marina Del Rey, and finally Irvine. Charging in Klamath Falls is a must(charge point) , then after that Andersen, Ca (EA). After that it's smooth sailing with chargers. Didn't find it too difficult to charge. R1T was such a pleasure to drive (mainly in AP). Looking to post my travel experience in detail, and hopefully post pics of the trip. Hope this helps
Did you try any of the free fast chargers at CalTran rest stops on I-5? We were surprised that most worked at 50kW and gave 30+ miles while using the facilities.

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
No. I used the EA in Andersen and Willows, CA. I was going to use the CP in weed but didn’t want to rely on that and decided to use EA in Andersen to charge at 150k (350k was down at the time)
Sponsored