Anyone considering the Nikola Badger alternative?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
I did initially - but I got 100% of my money back.
And I can too if I think it’s not going to be for me. That has yet to be seen for me.

Joewillie

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
My wife and I have been R1T fans from the time it broke out on the scene a couple years ago, enough to plunk the deposit down in late 2018, № 3400+/-

But I made a grave error the other day and showed my wife a pic of the VW i.d. Buzz (dumbest names ever) and now she is on fire over that microbus ev.

Rivian and the coronavirus has thrown a wrench in our timeline for our next vehicle, as our lease ends 4/2021 so I'm really losing sleep about what to do next spring. I don't know how to span a 6-8 month gap between lease end and a possible Rivian delivery. If I do another 2 year lease that could take me to a possible VW ev bus release. But the retro VW has me wanting more info.
VW Buzz web.jpg
VW Buzz web.jpg

U100

Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nikola's larger point is that the functionality of the Nikola One truck is irrelevant because the company now indisputably has a functional prototype of the truck's successor, the Nikola Two. The hype around the Nikola One helped Nikola raise funds that it then used to pay more experienced companies, including Bosch and Iveco, to help it design and build its subsequent vehicles. This strategy culminated with last week's announcement that GM will build Nikola's Badger pickup truck.

Nikola's fortunes are now tied to the success of the Nikola Two, Badger, and other products. If those products are successful, it probably won't matter that the Nikola One was never drivable.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/nikola-admits-prototype-was-rolling-downhill-in-promotional-video/?amp=1
Good points. Also notable is that the company that raised the issue of their non-drivable Nikola One has a significant short position on their stock - so any negatives they can raise about Nikola helps them.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Unfortunately, it's more than Nikola One's functionality. It's a pattern of deceptions and misrepresentations. Now the SEC has opened an investigation, and if Nikola gave out false information as a publicly listed company, the repercussions may be severe.

In other words, the Nikola One is the tip of the iceberg. GM may have resources and reasons to not care about Nikola's misrepresentations, but the other 89% of Nikola investors may not be so forgiving. And the SEC is not Nikola's only worry since more than a few Nikola investors will likely bring suit.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicles
‘19 Tesla Model 3, ‘20 Jeep Gladiator,’13 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, ‘91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, ‘88 Jeep G Wagoneer Limo, ‘88 Jeep J-10, ‘82 Jeep J-10 Stepside, ‘77 Jeep J-20 Ambulance (AM725), ‘83 Datsun 280ZX ...
Occupation
Fire Fighter, Retail Sales
I’ve mentioned before that my most anticipated EV is the Rivian and it will be my daily driver. I have a deposit down on a Cybertruck too, which I will have fun w for about a month and then flip, because it is just too crazy of a design for me. I also have 2 deposits down for the badger. I agree it is definitely a wait and see game with Nikola, and I’m willing to plunk down a few refundable hundred $, to see in person w/my son, something materialize this December. After which I’ll make up my mind as to how much sense it makes to stay w/them at that time. I believe hydrogen is the next step in progress, towards a greener future and investing in it early of course makes sense.
But is Milton the right leader? His own words said, “ he got into this, to make money!”. The wave runner and quad machine was an after thought to make his camping trips quieter. The badger is just a capitalization of the times. That doesn’t mean the products will be duds though, even if his mission statement is a dud!
RJ on the other hand sold me 100% w/his mission statement. Having a plan for the future use of the “depleted” batteries that still have 80% life left to live, making parts of the world better. Not being recycled after 20% use (Tesla and others) and actually negating the net positive of the life cycle of an EV including its construction costs (carbon foot print as a whole) when compared to ICE vehicles.
I believe RJ wants to make the world a better place along with making it fun to be in.
RJ let’s his actions do the talking. I don’t here anyone complaining about his actions and behavior, unlike Tesla and Nikola leadership. I did like Milton when I first heard of him and the badger project, but all the talk talk talk he does on social media is disappointing. Elon’s mouth gets him into trouble too, regardless of his brilliance. BTW, I own a model 3 and absolutely love it, which is why my family is getting rude of all ice cars and transitioning to EV’s. (Except one Jeep,lol).
I guess my main point here is. I’m proud of how RJ and rivian have acted, currently behave, and hopefully continue to represent U.S. pride, ingenuity and commitment to the planet and its people.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Nope. I'm still keen for a Rivian R1T. Rivian has been around for long enough and has enough financial backing that I'm very confident of a great end product.
I don't get the amount of negativity I'm seeing on this forum. They're still in preproduction and Covid19 has obviously put a spanner in the works. I'm in Oz so I know I'm going to have to wait longer than you all, but I know it'll be quality when it does come.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
@Coast2Coast

Nikola’s statement, which was sent to TechCrunch, doesn’t answer the question of whether the SEC is in fact investigating the matter. The company said that on September 11, Nikola’s legal counsel “proactively contacted and briefed” the SEC regarding its “concerns pertaining to the Hindenburg report.”

“Nikola welcomes the SEC’s involvement in this matter,”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...ellers-claims-against-nikola-report-says/amp/

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
Also I do not believe Trevor Milton is a good leader at all. Not my type of character. With that being said, I’m not going to not buy a product because the seller is a jackass. If the badger does come to market and is built by GM, that’s a good start for them and possibly Good product for me.

RJ is the poster boy for how we’d like a company owner To behave and produce.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
I'm not trying to run down Nikola and Trevor, but I'm talking about Nikola's situation, as I see it. Just because Nikola "proactively" contacted the SEC and "briefed it" doesn't stop an investigation. The SEC protects investors and the market from listed companies that make false and misleading statements, which Nikola has. It's not just Nikola One. It's also the Nikola Two (how far along is development; how much of the technology is proprietary), the Badger (how advanced are its batteries and fuel cell technologies), and numerous other misleading statements. Once you're a listed company and tens of thousands of folks rely on your public statements as matters of fact when they invest, you can't shade, hide or misrepresent information.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
As we all know Elon Musk got slammed by the SEC for saying that he had to money to take Tesla private at 420 a share. I never did figure out how they got him because he did have the money. Essentially he basically gave them the finger and went on with business as usual. Gotta admire the man.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
As we all know Elon Musk got slammed by the SEC for saying that he had to money to take Tesla private at 420 a share. I never did figure out how they got him because he did have the money. Essentially he basically gave them the finger and went on with business as usual. Gotta admire the man.
They got him because he did not have the money (or at least could/would not provide them the info). He had entered into preliminary negotiations with the Saudi Arabia sovereign fund, but no deal or terms were agreed upon.
It took him less than two days after the SEC filed the complaint to agree to personally pay $20 million and Tesla itself also was fined $20 million. Not a sign that he actually had funding. Add in the tweets about hurting the "shorts" and gloating after the stock price rose in response to the "funding secured at $420" tweet and you have a pretty complete picture of a CEO intentionally manipulating a their companies stock price by releasing false or misleading information to the public/investors.

I don't find anything to admire in those actions.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
He did have the money. His net worth at the time was multiples of what was required. Where did he get the 40 million to pay the fines? He just threw it in the SEC's face, observed that it didn't matter to him one whit that he had to resign as chairman of the board as he controlled the board via his majority stock ownership position and resumed business as usual. That's what I admire.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
He did have the money. His net worth at the time was multiples of what was required. Where did he get the 40 million to pay the fines? He just threw it in the SEC's face, observed that it didn't matter to him one whit that he had to resign as chairman of the board as he controlled the board via his majority stock ownership position and resumed business as usual. That's what I admire.
He did not personally have the money and said it was coming from the Saudis (before he said he was also exploring other sources to raise the money for taking it private)
The fine was $20 million to him, and $20 million to Tesla itself (and therefore all shareholders).

There are rules and restrictions on the behavior of people in positions like a CEO that come with the power (and responsibility) to carefully filter what information is released and when it is released in order to protect shareholders from price manipulation. Musk was very forthright that the manipulation of the share price was calculated and intentional in order to hurt the "shorts". Short selling in itself is a tool that sophisticated investors use when they feel a stock is overvalued and a market correction is coming. A small minority of short sellers may put out information that may be false or misleading in order to influence the stock price, but they are (usually) legally allowed to do so. They don't have the weight behind their statements that someone like a CEO has (hence the additional restrictions and responsibilities that come with the CEO position).

I'm sorry that you admire that type of behavior.

His statements not only hurt the short sellers, but also investors that bought Tesla stock based on his statements, only to see it's value drop abruptly when the false nature of his claims came to light.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Looking at it just a moment ago I wouldn't say I got too badly hurt. I guess I consider my share of the $20M a good investment.