Anyone considering the Nikola Badger alternative?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
This is a good point. They were in "stealth mode" for what seems like an eternity and I don't think they could have waited much longer to reveal. To start production they likely badly needed the investments that they ended getting and also needed the brand name to be out there so people became aware. They have the money and the pre-orders, now they are to the point where they just need to deliver, and the sooner the better.

Who do you see manufacturing their design? Also, wouldn't whoever does agree to manufacture it be adding to the competition of a market that they might want to get into in the near future? Those are both genuine questions, I really haven't given it much thought. Ford has the electric F-150 already in the pipeline and GM seems to be investing in their own EV designs. Toyota looks to be betting on hydrogen so they might be interested considering that is a part of the design of the Badger. I just have trouble seeing how a legacy auto maker will agree to build a car designed by a start-up.
Idk who they would partner with but I imagine it would be just for production help as well as maintenance help.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
TPA
I on the other hand see Nikola as probable vaporware. All of their products are artist's renderings. As far as I can tell, they have no working prototypes (I've heard rumors that they have some prototype semi's) and I haven't seen any demonstration that they have any proprietary technology. The only thing that gives me any hope that they are legitamite, is the companies that have invested in them.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
I on the other hand see Nikola as probable vaporware. All of their products are artist's renderings. As far as I can tell, they have no working prototypes (I've heard rumors that they have some prototype semi's) and I haven't seen any demonstration that they have any proprietary technology. The only thing that gives me any hope that they are legitamite, is the companies that have invested in them.
They have working vehicles, as far as if those vehicles are running on hydrogen I do not know. If you look on YouTube they have their semi trucks moving around and pulling.

jacobh

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Website
www.besustainable.com
First Name
Jacob
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Model X
Occupation
Web Design + Development
Nikola would really have to compete on price + range in order to convince someone who's a fan of Rivian to switch. Rivian's design and branding combined with what your getting is hard to compete with. Its a high end design compared to Nikola's "utility over design" approach. The Badger isn't that great looking... but if your driving a Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado presently... design aesthetics isn't at the top of the list anyway.;)

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
Nikola would really have to compete on price + range in order to convince someone who's a fan of Rivian to switch. Rivian's design and branding combined with what your getting is hard to compete with. Its a high end design compared to Nikola's "utility over design" approach. The Badger isn't that great looking... but if your driving a Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado presently... design aesthetics isn't at the top of the list anyway.;)
The actual looks of the Nikola are still somewhat of an unknown. Translating artist renderings into a prototype and then into a production vehicle often involve changes to the aesthetics.

jacobh

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Website
www.besustainable.com
First Name
Jacob
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Model X
Occupation
Web Design + Development
The actual looks of the Nikola are still somewhat of an unknown. Translating artist renderings into a prototype and then into a production vehicle often involve changes to the aesthetics.
Understandable. If it looks anything like the mockup on the Nikola website... looks like they might be going after the Ford Raptor fan base.
nikola-badger.jpg

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
There is just an opinion, just like the people out there that think the Cybertruck actually looks nice. I think the badger looks better than the Rivian R1T. Yes it does look similar to the ford raptor, but much more mean looking. Im not looking for a vehicle that looks crazy and years ahead of its time ( cyber truck ). As far as competing on price and range they are in the same category. Nikola starts at 60k for a 300mile truck and Rivian starts at 69k for what I am guessing is their smaller battery which may intact be less than that. So idk where you see the big differences there. Yes Rivian is years ahead of nikola in terms of production and testing, but all companies tart somewhere and in this era it takes time to make a solid product.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
Nikola starts at 60k for a 300mile truck and Rivian starts at 69k for what I am guessing is their smaller battery which may intact be less than that
RJ said at the beginning of the year the $69k will now get you the mid-level (135 kWh BP) and include the electrochromatic roof. A few have postulated each larger battery pack level will cost about another $10K. Given that, the smallest BP level, 105kWh, would then start at about $59k.

Unfortunately there really hasn't been much said by Rivian after RJ's comment, plus that information has yet to be reflected on their website.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
At the Mill Valley/SF event in 2019, RJ said a well equipped, mid-size battery 135kW (w/ 325 mile range), R1T/R1S with electrochromatic roof would be around $70K. This represented about a $9-10K drop in what had been the reported pricing, up until the event.

So if Nikola really prices a Badger with 300 mile range for $60K, that's impressive but I'll believe it when I see it. So far, no prototypes, no testing, no engineering, no factory, no battery partner, no running test mule/s, no nothing. That sounds harsher than I meant it to sound, but so far, there is nothing concrete, except for some computer generated images.

All the stuff Nikola doesn't have, Rivian does. A lot of the engineering's been done, the skateboard architecture's set, the suspension, performance, battery management system, factory, investors and orders, Rivian is well on its way

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Reaction score
First Name
Lionel
Vehicles
BMW740i, Trailblazer, Audi Cabriolet
Check this out about the Nikols Badger
Nasdaq Sinks 90; Nikola, Workhorse Signal End of EV Run-Up | The Motley Fool
https://flip.it/ujYwQQ

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
So far, no prototypes, no testing, no engineering, no factory, no battery partner, no running test mule/s, no nothing. That sounds harsher than I meant it to sound, but so far, there is nothing concrete, except for some computer generated images.
According to the Nikola website, they don't need a battery partner. They have new technology that allows a 500 mile battery to charge in 15 minutes today, and 5 minutes tomorrow. They will provide an adapter to use existing CCS charging stations (but at lower power due to the 400 kW limitation of the CCS standard)
No mention of how or where this new battery will be manufactured, nor who will build and install these new DCFC stations with well over 1 megawatt charging power.
If they have this battery tech, why bother with building vehicles? Exponentially more money from selling these miracle batteries. They claimed in 2019 that they would have a working battery at Nikola World 2020 and at that time be ready to show one charging and discharging (apparently they hadn't quite gotten a few minor features like the ability to charge/discharge working when they made the announcement of the "game-changing battery cell technology")

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
I won’t hold my breath for anything from nikola but it’s exciting to see these EV companies starting to get going. These batteries are also on the brink of much longer range for much cheaper prices. In the next 5 years there will be a big difference in BEV population. The future is bright!