Sponsored

Anyone concerned about Touch Screens failure after a few years?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Some statistics from 2010 indicated that in the US roughly 50 children per week were backed over by vehicles. In 2015, NHTSA reported 284 fatalities and 12,000 injuries occurred due to backovers. That sounds pretty unsafe to me. Sure, you can say the odds are low that you or your chiildren would be involved in such an incident given there are well over 200 million drivers in the US but that is still a lot people being needlessly injured/killed. Regardless of where you draw the line before considering something "unsafe", it seems we at least agree that backup cameras do improve safety.
The Guardian did a piece on this a couple of years back, about how larger and larger SUVs lend themselves to creating "vertical" blindspots where you can't see smaller objects like children and animals because of how high up you are: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/oct/07/a-deadly-problem-should-we-ban-suvs-from-our-cities. I would go as far as saying that without cameras we will trend towards unsafe SUVs, so they are a necessity.
Sponsored

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Like others, I am concerned about putting functionality that is always needed into the touchscreen - turn signals, HVAC control, windshield wipers, lights, and sound-system management are all things everyone needs to use all the time. Physical buttons for those functions will not become obsolete.

Based on pictures of pre-production vehicles it looks like some of those functions will have physical controls, I hope all of them do.