Sponsored

Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

HalfFullGirl

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be R1S owner
Occupation
Operations Manager
My house came with a telsa level 2 wall charger installed by the previous owner in the garage. I currently have the rivian wall charger in my configuration but might remove it and use a telsa adapter. Waiting to see some feedback from early deliveries that use the telsa charger.
Lucky!
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to wait for this, but ended up picking up a Chargepoint Home Flex. Was a little more than buying it with the truck, but I can use it for the next year and a half with our Volt. Already use a Chargepoint charger at work, so it is nice to not need yet another app.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Went through this thread again, but is there an advantage to the Rivian vs ChargePoint or others? Seems like some of the others are better? Wish there was a breakdown of each. I don’t need a Rivian branded one if I end up with a R1T and a Fisker Ocean (preorder R1S as well)

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I was planning to buy it, but now I'm doubting I'll be able to fully use it without upgrading my panel. Mine is 125A only...

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
The big thing about the Rivian EVSE is that it is a 48A capable charger at a very good price ($500 if ordered with the vehicle). As I’ve posted already, I bought a Clipper Creek 40A model because my wife got her EV earlier than we anticipated and we needed an EVSE sooner than Rivian was could was willing to deliver. I really like the Clipper Creek models. They are really tough and easy to install. Plus, the Clipper Creek technical support and sales folks are AWESOME. I’ll be hopefully getting my Rivian R1S (June/July timeframe) at the same time we’re doing a big solar install at my house so I’ll likely have them run a second EVSE specifically for the Rivian that is 48A.

So, all of that is to say that I only think the Rivian branded one is “worth it” if you can wait for your EVSE until Rivian wants to deliver it _and_ you are able to install and use the 48A capability. Else, I find Clipper Creek to be a better value.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I _was_ planning to get the Rivian charger. It's a great value for the price. But, then my wife got her new Volvo XC40 Recharge and we needed a hard-wired EVSE _right now_. I talked to Rivian CS and they would not ship the Rivian EVSE before I take delivery of my truck. So, I took the Rivian EVSE off my pre-order and got a Clipper Creek HCS-50 instead.

@svet-am how do you like this charger with the Volvo? my Dad is taking delivery of his Recharge in a few weeks and is trying to figure out which one to get.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I initially had it spec'd, but removed it. My better half is talking about her next car being an EV (yay), so I have a double-EV future to consider. Hardwiring the Rivian charger limits flexibility, without incurring extra cost for a swap. It's likely that we don't have service capacity for 2 EVSEs either. My thought is just putting in a 14-50 plug to allow an easy EVSE swap/upgrade as needed. I'm ok with slightly sub-optimal charge rates at home.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
@svet-am how do you like this charger with the Volvo? my Dad is taking delivery of his Recharge in a few weeks and is trying to figure out which one to get.
It is rock solid. No complaints. Thinking of getting a second for my Rivian hen it comes rather than the Rivian branded EVSE. And their customer support is second to none.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Yeah the house came with paid off solar too so pretty lucky indeed. ?
This is the one thing I will regret about when I sell my home. I have a really good solar set up that will be paid off by the end of this year that produces and stores a good amount of electricity. So much, that I actually have FPL buy units of electrons off me every 3 months or so. I won't be able to take it with me when I buy my new home. Whom ever buys my home will have that towards their advantage when they purchase it.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
This is the one thing I will regret about when I sell my home. I have a really good solar set up that will be paid off by the end of this year that produces and stores a good amount of electricity. So much, that I actually have FPL buy units of electrons off me every 3 months or so. I won't be able to take it with me when I buy my new home. Whom ever buys my home will have that towards their advantage when they purchase it.
I hear you, moving is going to be painful. ?

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
It is rock solid. No complaints. Thinking of getting a second for my Rivian hen it comes rather than the Rivian branded EVSE. And their customer support is second to none.
Appreciate it!

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Was planning on purchasing the Rivian wall charger, and even would have purchased it alone ahead of vehicle delivery, but Rivian was too slow and we bough an Ioniq 5 and needed something soon. Went with the 40A NEMA 14-50 Grizzl-E: https://grizzl-e.com/product/usa/smart/grizzl-e-smart/
What's the advantage of this over just using the Rivian portable charger (understanding that might not have had that option w/ the Ioniq).

Am I better off using the portable charger directly into the 14-50

or

Am I better off using 14-50 to plug in something like the grizzly?
Sponsored