Sponsored

Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

Jyeh74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Is anyone buying the $500 wall charger? Does that charge faster than the standard charging wire that comes with the car?
Sponsored

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
IIRC from the delivery window surveys just about everyone is.

Charging my Model 3 on a normal 120V plug is 1 kW. So, 0 -> 100 would be 100H. You can fully charge a model 3 in about 6 hours on a level 2 wall charger. It'll be even more significant on a Rivian since they're 130 kWh batteries.

OP
OP

Jyeh74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
I thought the standard chargers that come with the car are the same 240V as the ones for appliances? They are slow but still charge the car in 8-10 hrs which would be fine overnight.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If this is thread-hijacking I apologize and welcome a deletion, but I think it's related to OP's question:

If I have the Rivian charger installed by an electrician how simple would it be to switch to a different brand in the future (Tesla, for example)?

Sponsored

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
If this is thread-hijacking I apologize and welcome a deletion, but I think it's related to OP's question:

If I have the Rivian charger installed by an electrician how simple would it be to switch to a different brand in the future (Tesla, for example)?
Teslas come with a J-1772 -> Tesla adapter, you use this when using a run-of-the-mill charger in the wild. So it's drop in.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
My house came with a telsa level 2 wall charger installed by the previous owner in the garage. I currently have the rivian wall charger in my configuration but might remove it and use a telsa adapter. Waiting to see some feedback from early deliveries that use the telsa charger.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Teslas come with a J-1772 -> Tesla adapter, you use this when using a run-of-the-mill charger in the wild. So it's drop in.
Oh yeah, I'm familiar with the adapter, but what about the whole charger itself? Maybe put another way, let's say I moved out of my house and wanted to take my Rivian wall charger with me, and the new owner had a Tesla wall charger they wanted to install. Would this be "simple" to do (meaning a non-electrician could do it)?

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with the adapter, but what about the whole charger itself? Maybe put another way, let's say I moved out of my house and wanted to take my Rivian wall charger with me, and the new owner had a Tesla wall charger they wanted to install. Would this be "simple" to do (meaning a non-electrician could do it)?
Shout out to @CommodoreAmiga for teaching me something in a different thread. The Rivian charger is configured for hardwire installations only. However, it is apparently possible to "hardwire" the Rivian charger to a NEMA pigtail that you can then plug into a NEMA receptacle. That way, if you move out, you should just be able to unplug the Rivian charger and take it with you, and then the new owner could plug in whatever EVSE is compatible.

Edit: Striking out my post. I got excited about "modding" a Rivian charger without knowing much about electrical codes, and that was spreading misguided information. Going through the thread, there are much more knowledgeable people (i.e., @ajdelange) and any future readers should read over their posts instead.

Last edited:

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Should be simple. All of the wiring and circuits should already be installed. Should just have to take down the Tesla charger and install Rivian with the existing wiring. (Side note: would still have a licensed electrician do the install. 240v is no joke if you get it wrong)

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Shout out to @CommodoreAmiga for teaching me something in a different thread. The Rivian charger is configured for hardwire installations only. However, it is apparently possible to "hardwire" the Rivian charger to a NEMA pigtail that you can then plug into a NEMA receptacle. That way, if you move out, you should just be able to unplug the Rivian charger and take it with you, and then the new owner could plug in whatever EVSE is compatible.
This sounds awesome. Would this limit the amperage at all?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

It's not hard. I pulled a hardwired EVSE down to replace it (warranty replacement) and the hardest part was just figuring out how to get the thing open to pull it off the mounting bracket. Which was explained in the manual. Each EVSE will be a little different, but they should all be pretty straightforward.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
For anyone considering buying a charger I'd suggest checking with your electric company and state for EV rebates/programs. My electric co offers a free L2 charger as long as they get access to slow it down during peak hours.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This sounds awesome. Would this limit the amperage at all?
Yes, you would have to set the dip switches on the charger to limit the draw based on your plug. If it is a Nema 50 depending on the wire and breaker it would be a 40 or 50 amp circuit so would be limited to 80% of that so 32 or 40 amp draw.

That would be the same though if hardwired if you are planning on using the same circuit.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Yes, you would have to set the dip switches on the charger to limit the draw based on your plug. If it is a Nema 50 depending on the wire and breaker it would be a 40 or 50 amp circuit so would be limited to 80% of that so 32 or 40 amp draw.

That would be the same though if hardwired if you are planning on using the same circuit.
Can NEMA 50 (with an adequate circuit) hit the peak of this unit? If not is there a NEMA plug/circuit combination that could safely draw the max current you could achieve with a hardwired connection on the same unit?
Sponsored