Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

HalfFullGirl

First Name
Kimberly
Reaction score
First Name
Kimberly
Vehicles
To be R1S owner
Occupation
Operations Manager
My house came with a telsa level 2 wall charger installed by the previous owner in the garage. I currently have the rivian wall charger in my configuration but might remove it and use a telsa adapter. Waiting to see some feedback from early deliveries that use the telsa charger.
Lucky!
Advertisement

camaroz1985

Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Suburban, Atlas
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to wait for this, but ended up picking up a Chargepoint Home Flex. Was a little more than buying it with the truck, but I can use it for the next year and a half with our Volt. Already use a Chargepoint charger at work, so it is nice to not need yet another app.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Went through this thread again, but is there an advantage to the Rivian vs ChargePoint or others? Seems like some of the others are better? Wish there was a breakdown of each. I don’t need a Rivian branded one if I end up with a R1T and a Fisker Ocean (preorder R1S as well)

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I was planning to buy it, but now I'm doubting I'll be able to fully use it without upgrading my panel. Mine is 125A only...

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
The big thing about the Rivian EVSE is that it is a 48A capable charger at a very good price ($500 if ordered with the vehicle). As I’ve posted already, I bought a Clipper Creek 40A model because my wife got her EV earlier than we anticipated and we needed an EVSE sooner than Rivian was could was willing to deliver. I really like the Clipper Creek models. They are really tough and easy to install. Plus, the Clipper Creek technical support and sales folks are AWESOME. I’ll be hopefully getting my Rivian R1S (June/July timeframe) at the same time we’re doing a big solar install at my house so I’ll likely have them run a second EVSE specifically for the Rivian that is 48A.

So, all of that is to say that I only think the Rivian branded one is “worth it” if you can wait for your EVSE until Rivian wants to deliver it _and_ you are able to install and use the 48A capability. Else, I find Clipper Creek to be a better value.

Advertisement

Advertisement