Sponsored

Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
What's the advantage of this over just using the Rivian portable charger (understanding that might not have had that option w/ the Ioniq).

Am I better off using the portable charger directly into the 14-50

or

Am I better off using 14-50 to plug in something like the grizzly?
Rivian's portable charger is capable of 32A, vs the 40A of the Grizzl-E, so there's a little bit of a difference in charging speed (assuming your breaker can handle it). The portable charger also doesn't have wi-fi or "smart" capabilities, but I'm sure the basic features like scheduled charging will be possible on the Rivian directly or through their app.

Mostly I needed something ASAP without vague ever-increasing deadlines. The charger included with the Ioniq 5, in Canada at least, is just a Level 1 (120V) and 1.3kW, so you can gain only like 10% of an Ioniq charge per night, just barely covering commuting distances.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
What's the advantage of this over just using the Rivian portable charger (understanding that might not have had that option w/ the Ioniq).

Am I better off using the portable charger directly into the 14-50

or

Am I better off using 14-50 to plug in something like the grizzly?
If the lower 32 amp charging of the portable unit is ok for you it can be used.

It also depends if you plan on leaving the portable unit plugged in. With the Nema 14/50 plugs, it is not recommended to plug things in and remove them constantly. They are more designed for things to be plugged in and left there.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
FYI, with the price increases today, it’s now the $750 wall charger. Which turns it from bargain to slightly overpriced (until everyone else raises their prices).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf (2016), Mustang Mach E (2021)
Since I can get a rebate if I buy my charger through my public utility, dropping the Rivian charger was the easiest change to make in my configuration when they raised the price to $750.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
FYI, with the price increases today, it’s now the $750 wall charger. Which turns it from bargain to slightly overpriced (until everyone else raises their prices).
Yes at 500 for a 48 amp charger was a decent deal, easy pass at 750.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I would never buy their charger. There are plenty of 3rd party options that are making chargers that will work with lots of EVs. I bought a Tesla charger years ago when it seemed like the right idea but now I need an adapter to charge my friends non Tesla EVs when they come over. So I'm going to get the fastest most flexible charger I can get to replace my Tesla charger.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm pretty sure it's a $750 charger now ;)
Yep, and with that pricing change it went from "great value" to "meh" imho. The 5 year warranty might be its saving grace. Otherwise, the ChargePoint Home Flex is probably better for most people.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yep, and with that pricing change it went from "great value" to "meh" imho. The 5 year warranty might be its saving grace. Otherwise, the ChargePoint Home Flex is probably better for most people.
Or my 2013-era nissan leaf charger already on the wall.
Sponsored