Sponsored

Anybody want to sell their reservation for the launch edition?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Puppy not sold separately. They come in the gear tunnel ... I hope Rivian has AC in there....
They do not. Let's not have a repeat of the Laika incident.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You're just linking back to a post someone made on this forum?
I’m just quoting someone’s post, just like you did mine, and responding. I don’t understand what your question is.

Nothing prevents anyone from selling their rights under their Pre-Order Agreement to a third party. Rivian has the choice to honor or not honor the assignment of the agreement to someone else. So, any buyer can technically purchase the rights to a Pre-Order Agreement, but the buyer runs the very strong risk that Rivian will no longer honor that agreement. And of course, the Pre-Order Agreement is written so that Rivian can choose not to sell you a vehicle for any reason at their discretion.
If you sign such an agreement, who places the order? Who is allowed to contact the Rivian guide? Who gets the email updates and delivery windows? Who is actually contractually liable to pay Rivian for the vehicle? If the answer to all those is still the original holder, you’re basically talking about a situation where it ends up just being a private vehicle sale after the original holder goes through the whole process. Sure you can sign an agreement for that with a third party but it’s not a reservation swap or transfer.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can sell my LE. Just let me know what color and wheels you want. I'll take the full payment using bitcoin, where you can add your address.
I'll even send it to you with a box saying thank you for buying Rivian.
If you hurry, you'll even get a puppy. YES, I said a puppy!!! You can choose between these 2 beauties, if you send the payment before May. You can't beat this deal, so hurry and send your payment!!!

You can find me with this email: [email protected]

SmartSelect_20210416-140858_Google.jpg

SmartSelect_20210416-140843_Google.jpg
I have sent you 2 Bitcoin (sure hope you got it). I will take the second puppy (Rottie?) and expect the R1T in Blue, with black 20" wheels. Please throw in the Camp Kitchen too, since you are a nice guy. Oh yeah, If you can't deliver by Aug 1, 2021 you can refund my purchase in cold hard cash ($122,883).

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I have sent you 2 Bitcoin (sure hope you got it). I will take the second puppy (Rottie?) and expect the R1T in Blue, with black 20" wheels. Please throw in the Camp Kitchen too, since you are a nice guy. Oh yeah, If you can't deliver by Aug 1, 2021 you can refund my purchase in cold hard cash ($122,883).
By the time deliveries roll around, he might just hold on to your BTC and send you the cash depending on its value ?

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

By the time deliveries roll around, he might just hold on to your BTC and send you the cash depending on its value ?
As long as I get $122,883 I don't really care. (This coming from a guy who passed on Bitcoin at $299 because it would never succeed). LOL

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m just quoting someone’s post, just like you did mine, and responding. I don’t understand what your question is.
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just saying a person should probably not rely on a stranger's forum post, retrieved through a google search, as legal advice. The quote you posted is also technically false, but you shouldn't rely on my post as legal advice.

Anyone can assign their rights under their Preorder Agreement to Jasano for whatever Jasano and the purchaser agree is a fair price. However, a fair price would likely be close to $0 (beyond the $1,000 deposit) because Rivian can void any Preorder Agreement that was assigned.

If you sign such an agreement, who places the order? Who is allowed to contact the Rivian guide? Who gets the email updates and delivery windows? Who is actually contractually liable to pay Rivian for the vehicle? If the answer to all those is still the original holder, you’re basically talking about a situation where it ends up just being a private vehicle sale after the original holder goes through the whole process. Sure you can sign an agreement for that with a third party but it’s not a reservation swap or transfer.
I think you're hitting the real issue on the nose here. What "rights" does the Preorder Agreement really give a person? You have no obligation to purchase a vehicle; Rivian has no obligation to sell you a vehicle. Rivian has no obligation to provide you with contact to a "guide." Rivian has no obligation to deliver a vehicle to you at any date, or provide you email updates.

1. No Obligations
Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.

These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”). The Order Agreement and Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.

We may decline Preorders to avoid over-subscription or as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your Preorder is declined, you will be notified and your Preorder payment will be refunded.
Again, I'm not providing legal advice, but I think the Rivian Preorder agreement only really gives you three substantive things:

1. You can get a refund of your $1,000 within approximately 5-10 business days of contacting customer service (and get to keep your Rivian preorder promotional print). Section 6.
  2. Your $1,000 can be applied to the purchase of a Rivian vehicle if you sign a Final Sales Agreement. Section 4.
  3. Rivian will "will endeavor to produce Your Selected Vehicle in the future and your priority will be set by the date of payment of your Preorder Fee, [Rivian's] manufacturing schedule and execution of the Final Sales Agreement. There is no guarantee as to delivery date based on your Preorder." Section 5. However, Rivian can also decline to sell you a vehicle in their sole discretion as long as they refund your $1,000. Section 1.
Those are probably the only rights you could assign under the Preorder Agreement. But again, Rivian can void any agreement that was assigned.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
How do you know they cannot be swapped or sold
Out of curiosity, I chatted with Rivian CS about this. They confirmed pre-order reservations are not transferable or saleable. Sale will only be made to the person who's name and information were provided at the time of pre-order deposit.

Not sure to what extent they'll actually monitor or enforce that, but that's their current stance.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not sure to what extent they'll actually monitor or enforce that, but that's their current stance.
They won't. I've already changed the name associated with my pre-order...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
But they also haven't accepted an actual order from the account.

They may or may not balk when that time comes - or at the very least ask some questions.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But they also haven't accepted an actual order from the account.

They may or may not balk when that time comes - or at the very least ask some questions.
I'm 100% sure they won't say a single word about it. I've changed the name, address, phone number, email, cc number... Everything.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
They didn't say you can't go into your account and change the info. They said they won't honor your pre-order/reservation when it comes time to complete the sale. So until that time, we won't know if they stick to it.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They didn't say you can't go into your account and change the info. They said they won't honor your pre-order/reservation when it comes time to complete the sale. So until that time, we won't know if they stick to it.
I mean, sure, but that can be said for Any pre-order since these agreements are non-binding for either party.

And since CS changed the email address associated with the account for me (and asked zero questions) I think I'll be fine...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've changed the name, address, phone number, email, cc number... Everything.
I mean, sure, but that can be said for Any pre-order since these agreements are non-binding for either party.

And since CS changed the email address associated with the account for me (and asked zero questions) I think I'll be fine...
This implies you may have already sold it? If so, I hope it works out.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This implies you may have already sold it? If so, I hope it works out.
No, I didn't. It was a gift for me that was purchased as a surprise. I transferred it into my name, but they never asked.
Sponsored

Last edited: