Sponsored

Anybody heard from a guide yet?

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 4Runner
On Friday 5/7 I reached out to CS to ask about timing and logistics of guide outreach. Like many others, I wanted to get a sense of timing so I didn't miss a call. They only gave a vague answer that I would be contacted "by Thanksgiving", which wasn't very reassuring given my March 2019 pre-order date. I was hoping for something a bit more encouraging for an outreach timeline.

They did make a note in my account that I preferred an email to first schedule a call so I can plan ahead with my questions and not worry about a call out of the blue. Another interesting tidbit CS relayed to me:

We will be offering plant pickup, but I do not know whether that would expedite the process. When your guide reaches out, I would let them know if you are interested in picking it up if it gets you behind the wheel faster!

That's the first I've heard for word on a factory pick up option, which I'm still intrigued about (very cheap flights from Denver to the BMI airport).

Has anyone heard from their guide yet to specify a final configuration?
Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot
FWIW, I had a brief chat with CS and she told me that they would be reaching out by email first, to schedule a call. I think that has been covered in another string, but thought I would mention here.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
On Friday 5/7 I reached out to CS to ask about timing and logistics of guide outreach. Like many others, I wanted to get a sense of timing so I didn't miss a call. They only gave a vague answer that I would be contacted "by Thanksgiving", which wasn't very reassuring given my March 2019 pre-order date. I was hoping for something a bit more encouraging for an outreach timeline.

They did make a note in my account that I preferred an email to first schedule a call so I can plan ahead with my questions and not worry about a call out of the blue. Another interesting tidbit CS relayed to me:

We will be offering plant pickup, but I do not know whether that would expedite the process. When your guide reaches out, I would let them know if you are interested in picking it up if it gets you behind the wheel faster!

That's the first I've heard for word on a factory pick up option, which I'm still intrigued about (very cheap flights from Denver to the BMI airport).

FWIW we must think alike. :clap:. Started a new conversation earlier today to monitor this. See the 'First Contact' thread. Trying to gather data points to help the community figure out when they will be contacted which should help us get a better idea of when we will be able to schedule our delivery.

Plant pickup would be cool. We should add that to the details part of the thread to see if it WOULD accelerate our delivery. Good idea!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I asked about what affects the queue for getting a Guide call; if it was order number, or order number and config and they said it was that and more. I am still on fence of color, and frankly T vs S at this point, but it seems we might not get to see real life cars before they want us to lock in the config.

I'm stuck between Launch Green (too brown?) and Forest Green and Ocean Coast (is it white or gray?) vs Forest Edge (I don't think looks good with Forest Green exterior).

And I think I want the 7 seater, but man the R1T seems way more engineered with features!

We don't have access to order numbers on our end, however the order in which Guides reach out will be based on that combination of things I provided. We will initially be building similarly configured vehicles grouped by paint color, interior package and option choices. In order to provide the best ownership experience, our delivery schedule is synced with the growing coverage of our Rivian service Centers, Mobile Service Fleet and available charging infrastructure. We will be announcing the locations of our service centers soon. If a Guide reaches out and provides a delivery window that doesn't work for you, we will definitely work together to find a time that's more convenient.

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

A while ago I chatted with CS and basically said that I'm open to a variety of configs if it means I get delivery earlier. They said they would note that in my account and it might help.

I selected Launch Green on the assumption that it would mean faster timelines. I like few of the colors so if it means a month earlier or more, I'm willing to switch. Plus the lack of real photos of LG have me doubting that I'll like it. I think location is going to play a big early factor as I wouldn't be surprised if all the initial orders went to NYC, Chicago and LA.

OP
OP
WaitingInDenver
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 4Runner
Clay & Sean, I'm in the same boat as both of you: 1) originally selected a R1S (that's the rendering they sent which is currently taped to my wall), but switched to the R1T during November '20 configuration because of all the options and R&D put into the truck and 2) selected Launch Green/Forest Green assuming that would be among the earliest build lots.

Agree that NYC, Chicago, and LA are likely targets for the first deliveries, but I'm hopeful that those of us willing to make the pilgrimage to Normal might be able to get one sooner. Factory pickup would eliminate the need for all the infrastructure and staff in each of the markets, not to mention shipping R1Ts out via semi truck to all corners of the country. Why wouldn't they want to churn out some on-site deliveries?

For a $60 one-way flight to Normal from Denver plus a 10-mile Uber trip from BMI to Rivian I'll jump at the chance. Hell, they can even use me as a guinea pig to test their direct-to-consumer delivery model. Rivian - call me!

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Agree that NYC, Chicago, and LA are likely targets for the first deliveries, but I'm hopeful that those of us willing to make the pilgrimage to Normal might be able to get one sooner.
I think Colorado would be very high on the list for first deliveries. Not only is CO EV and direct sales friendly but if selling “adventure” why start with major cities outside of IL and CA?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Factory pickup would eliminate the need for all the infrastructure and staff in each of the markets, not to mention shipping R1Ts out via semi truck to all corners of the country. Why wouldn't they want to churn out some on-site deliveries?
Factory deliveries will not completely eliminate the need to ship to certain destinations. You might be one of say 10 people from your region who are willing to pick up at the factory, but if they have to ship 90 more there anyway then you aren't saving them much of a hassle because they still have to set that infrastructure up. But if you live in a far-flung area where there are only a handful of orders, it might make sense for them to knock them all out with a factory pick up.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Factory deliveries will not completely eliminate the need to ship to certain destinations. You might be one of say 10 people from your region who are willing to pick up at the factory, but if they have to ship 90 more there anyway then you aren't saving them much of a hassle because they still have to set that infrastructure up. But if you live in a far-flung area where there are only a handful of orders, it might make sense for them to knock them all out with a factory pick up.
Plus I do not think picking up at the factory will help move you up in the queue.

The way I read their plan, they are targeting the areas based on their support infrastructure more than number of deliveries in that area.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
My guess is that first deliveries will be in areas where you see the Amazon Rivian delivery vans operating. They have to be able to service those too..

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Plus I do not think picking up at the factory will help move you up in the queue.

The way I read their plan, they are targeting the areas based on their support infrastructure more than number of deliveries in that area.
I agree. Most likely THE biggest determining factor for getting an early Rivian will be proximity to a Rivian service center. You'll probably have to be within 200 miles (a guess) of one. At this point I'm expecting to be way down the list solely based on my location, even though I reserved the minute Rivian started taking reservations. There is some hope, Tesla had a service center in a city about 100 miles from us when I bought our model s in 2013. We'll see.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director

In Colorado too and hope we are high on the list for several reasons:
1) lots of charging locations announce for CO
2) top off-road and adventure destination
3) pretty straight delivery path from Normal and Denver could well be a distribution hub
4) jobs for service people seem to have been filled a few weeks ago
5) Amazon vans out testing in CO
The bad:
6) no progress at all at the Walnut Street location (drove by there on Friday)

Fingers Crossed for CO

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I know I'm an outlier here. I might be willing to wait an extra month if it meant I could pick it up at the factory. Part of the fun and mystique of this journey is the possibility of getting to visit where it all came from. Any roadtrip to California will hopefully include visiting the design center and the Old theater in O.C., as well.

I want to meet the team, experience the entire process, and share stories. If I just wanted a new truck, there are over a thousand of them for sale within spittin' distance of my home. Most all of them are cheaper, run on fuel found everywhere, gas up in less than five minutes, yet not a one of them will ever get to see the inside of my garage. I'm buying Rivian. It just happens to come in a yet-to-be-revealed shade of green package called the R1T.
Sponsored