punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

My guide told me that new improved tonneau cover is still not an option to be added to the order. My delivery estimate was for june/july so i hit pause button as i want to have electric tonneau cover.
what you'all think about it? Do you think it is coming to production soon? Problem is that it can't be retrofit, so i can't take delivery now without one and have it added later. :(
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Someone was told by their guide that Rivian plans to start installing the new covers in existing trucks first to see how they do before adding it back into the production line, which does make sense but doesn’t bode well for people like yourself waiting to include it in your order. Could be quite awhile before you see it.

Megachimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 50th Anniversary, Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Video Game Developer
Best bet is to buy a used R1T that already has a working power tonneau. Get the truck now, save some money, get the tonneau, bob’s your uncle.

OP
OP

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Someone was told by their guide that Rivian plans to start installing the new covers in existing trucks first to see how they do before adding it back into the production line, which does make sense but doesn’t bode well for people like yourself waiting to include it in your order. Could be quite awhile before you see it.
thank you very much. that does make sense

OP
OP

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Best bet is to buy a used R1T that already has a working power tonneau. Get the truck now, save some money, get the tonneau, bob’s your uncle.
that is a worth to investigate. i will look around if there is any used truck available. actually i have seen truck with power tonneau in R1T shop so may be that is an option.

Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I have had my R1T since September (with power tonneau) I used it 1 time until RJ said they have a fix on the way recently, now I've used it several times, 1 time it was very loud and squeaky the other times it's been quiet and smooth, fingers crossed it lasts until the replacements are in full production swing

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
I have had my R1T since September (with power tonneau) I used it 1 time until RJ said they have a fix on the way recently, now I've used it several times, 1 time it was very loud and squeaky the other times it's been quiet and smooth, fingers crossed it lasts until the replacements are in full production swing
I am doing same. I bought a used with working cover, and try and use as infrequently as possible. Each I do use is with fingers crossed. Looking forward to fix rollout. Hopefully they can keep timeline of this summer as they previously stated.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I purposely looked to a used one with a power Tonneau instead of getting a new one. Price difference also helped though. I figured even if I found one with a broken power one, it would still at least get replaced under warranty with the new design.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

lol as a current owner with a broken cover that certainly doesn't give me confidence in the repair.

Half of me is like "After a year, no way do they botch the retrofit"

the other half is like "beg your guide for a manual + $1k refund so you don't have to deal with this"

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
lol as a current owner with a broken cover that certainly doesn't give me confidence in the repair.

Half of me is like "After a year, no way do they botch the retrofit"

the other half is like "beg your guide for a manual + $1k refund so you don't have to deal with this"
That's the big question, isn't it? I tend to believe they have been quietly testing it live for months so you shouldn't have to worry about it, but given they went to production with the first version it's impossible to know if that's true. I've been in the manual camp from day 1 but I feel for all of you with broken covers or waiting for a new truck with a powered cover!

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
That's the big question, isn't it? I tend to believe they have been quietly testing it live for months so you shouldn't have to worry about it, but given they went to production with the first version it's impossible to know if that's true. I've been in the manual camp from day 1 but I feel for all of you with broken covers or waiting for a new truck with a powered cover!
Most of the pre-production trucks they showed to journalists had broken covers but they moved forward with that design anyway. It really makes you wonder how many other parts Rivian knew would fail and decided to proceed into production with anyway.

I have a feeling these vehicles are going to really suck to own post-warranty. Given the wait time on interesting EV's it may be time to put down a deposit on your next vehicle before you even take delivery of this one if you want to get out before the warranty expires.

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
Most of the pre-production trucks they showed to journalists had broken covers but they moved forward with that design anyway. It really makes you wonder how many other parts Rivian knew would fail and decided to proceed into production with anyway.
That's so weird. I didn't realize that, and disappointing they didn't take advantage to fix it prior to the start of full production.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

I have a feeling these vehicles are going to really suck to own post-warranty. Given the wait time on interesting EV's it may be time to put down a deposit on your next vehicle before you even take delivery of this one if you want to get out before the warranty expires.
Given the relative lack of issues I've had so far (and a manual tonneau on the way which won't break), I feel comfortable owning this truck out of warranty. I will likely sell it before the battery warranty expires though, for a new Rivian...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's so weird. I didn't realize that, and disappointing they didn't take advantage to fix it prior to the start of full production.
They had a few different designs early on but none of them proved to be 100% reliable.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I was wondering why my ears were burning!

That someone was me - and my Guide Anthony broke the news to me a few weeks ago so @punjabi we are likely going to be waiting a while since you and I are in the same boat.

I was supposed to take delivery in DEC/JAN so I've been delayed now 6 months and it sucks but it's power tonneau cover or bust for me!

My least educated guess is that best case scenario it enters production by Q4. Worst case Q1 next year...
Sponsored