Sponsored

Anybody else delaying their purchase for a 2023?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Hello all. I received contact from my Guide last week stating that they matched my R1T configuration and to get ready to start the 8-step purchase process. It sounded like the truck was already built and awaiting shipment.

With only 10-weeks remaining in the year I decided to delay my purchase and wait for a 2023 R1T. I ordered mine on 2/5/21 so I figured a few more months will be worth the wait.

My Guide said no problem and made some notes under my account. I configured the OC interior and also decided to wait for the new vegan dash option as well.

Is anybody else in the same boat?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Even Tesla has switched to Model Year designations that start with Oct built vehicles (my Model Y was an Oct 2020 build and the Title was a 2021 vehicle) so I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivian doing the same with 2023 MY vehicles showing up very soon.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Inb4 the "like Tesla, model years don't matter, hurr durr" comments.

They absolutely matter for resale if that is important to you. If it's not, move along.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I hear you. We will see if Rivian follows Tesla’s lead.

Sponsored

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
Same truck, higher resale value.
I just don't get this logic. These are trucks meant to be enjoyed. I feel bad for the people who are looking to flip or buying for monetary purposes and not enjoy it. You are missing the point. It's like the Ferrari collector who never drives the car like it was meant to be. If you want the Rivian, get it and enjoy it. Also, I can see Rivian not honoring the original purchase price for the pre March reservation holders on the second attempt. "Hey, we offered you it, you said no. Now its $100k." I have no regrets for taking delivery of my 2022 and enjoy the hell out if it.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I just don't get this logic. These are trucks meant to be enjoyed. I feel bad for the people who are looking to flip or buying for monetary purposes and not enjoy it. You are missing the point. It's like the Ferrari collector who never drives the car like it was meant to be. If you want the Rivian, get it and enjoy it. Also, I can see Rivian not honoring the original purchase price for the pre March reservation holders on the second attempt. "Hey, we offered you it, you said no. Now its $100k." I have no regrets for taking delivery of my 2022 and enjoy the hell out if it.
You are missing the point. You don't need to be a flipper to understand the importance of model year in resale, whether that's a day, a year, or five years from now. Eventually even the most diehard Rivian fan is going to upgrade. If you've waited years for your truck and you care about resale then what's another two months?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Same truck, higher resale value.
so for ice vehicles this was true because features and options would change. You do not see this with Tesla. Model years make minimal difference in resale. Honestly even mileage doesn’t make the biggest dent. Example below. Two Tesla different model years same options (one has wheel covers on but both have the same wheel option, newer model has the more expensive white interior which actually brings the price closer).
I don’t think model year will have much if any impact on Rivians unless they bring “model year upgrades” which it doesn’t seem like they’re doing. Seems more adjustments on the fly like Tesla.

Rivian R1T R1S Anybody else delaying their purchase for a 2023? EE01B442-F4B9-4285-844F-066D4B519687

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Delaying? You got jokes. 😆 I would put down cash on an EV truck from *any manufacturer* today if I could find one with a long bed, in a work truck configuration. In the meantime I'm content to wait for an R1T with a Max pack, so I can tow a trailer with it. Not ideal, but I expect Max Pack will be available before the Silverado EV or F-150 Lightning. C'mon manufacturers, are you listening? This cash is burning a hole in my pocket, LOL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I agree. While if it was just a couple of months and I was in control of the delay process, sure - makes sense. But with all the unknowns and the high likelihood of Rivian saying "nope, you just lost your price protection" I wouldn't make that move. Rivian will be under no obligation to hold the pre-hike pricing beyond the time your truck is ready, nor should they. Otherwise I'd wait for the 2024 at the same price :)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Must be nice to have a choice. Rivian is only delivering to one city in my entire country this year.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Typically, the model year is designated by the model that's selling on January 1, of each year. That's why the traditional auto makers used to release the new models in the fall...as that's the version they were planning to be selling on Jan 1.

I would't be surprised in Rivian did make a few changes for the 2023 models...just to differentiate them. Maybe even something as simple as a color palette change.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Typically, the model year is designated by the model that's selling on January 1, of each year. That's why the traditional auto makers used to release the new models in the fall...as that's the version they were planning to be selling on Jan 1.

I would't be surprised in Rivian did make a few changes for the 2023 models...just to differentiate them. Maybe even something as simple as a color palette change.
Model year changeover for most automakers is typically in the fall isnt it?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Our 22 with insta gratification has had 3 OTA’s in 60 days, feels like a bonus 23 MY already.

I’m also easily amused, so engaging an OTA over a cell phone while miles away from my truck was highly satisfying.
Sponsored