Sponsored

Any word on home link / garage door opener?

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Ridgeline, 2018 Porsche Cayman 718 S
Also another issue that can be avoided if they add CarPlay, since it opens HomeKit garage door openers as standard.
One gripe I have with MyQ...my MyQ enabled garage door opener DOESN'T support HomeKit unless I buy an additional part to just support HomeKit. *sigh*

Don't get me wrong, opening it from my Watch is cool and all, but telling Siri to do it would be better.

Or, you can... I dunno... just use one of these... and apply a slight amount of pressure with your finger tip to a slightly different device (or if you have the geo activated Homelink like the Tesla... have to move your arm AND press a button with your finger).

2YtfpOnaF4GDFkvAHaHa?w=208&h=208&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg
Sigh, and now one more thing I gotta remember to take out of the car.

I don't park my truck in the garage. I park my other car in there. And in fact I had to de-program HomeLink when I figured out that Honda leaves HomeLink powered even when the kit is off. So you want in to my garage? Just smash the window and hit the button. *sigh*

HomeLink would be ideal but not a killer for me. A voice command would also be an option, although I can see how folks would be unwilling to have to pay for that.
Sponsored

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I too want an integrated opener. Hope they add that.

FYI on the Homelink. We park our cars on the driveway. On a previous 2009 Murano and my 2011 Tundra, I snipped the 12 volt constant wire just above the mirror. The mirrors function normally, but only if the ignition is on. Might work on other vehicles also.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
If they have a component already in the car that can support sending out a signal, it could be just a matter of a software update in the future.

But it would be really interesting if they did not include a HomeLink. Most mirror manufacturers have the ability to do so and it does not cost much over a regular mirror.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If they have a component already in the car that can support sending out a signal, it could be just a matter of a software update in the future.

But it would be really interesting if they did not include a HomeLink. Most mirror manufacturers have the ability to do so and it does not cost much over a regular mirror.
Just replace the frameless Gentex mirror it comes with with one that has homelink in it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Well, my Tesla S automatically opens and closes the garage door within a setable range, up to 100’: no buttons to touch, not screen to touch. One would hope that the Rivian will do likewise.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well, my Tesla S automatically opens and closes the garage door within a setable range, up to 100’: no buttons to touch, not screen to touch. One would hope that the Rivian will do likewise.
So far we can only confirm that Rivian supports BYOR (bring your own remote).

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Just replace the frameless Gentex mirror it comes with with one that has homelink in it.
I have done just that on my Mazda, works perfectly. I wonder if any other components are in the exiting mirror, in that case you can just buy the Homelink after market panel and install it in the headliner. https://homelink.com/afterMarketHomeLink

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One gripe I have with MyQ...my MyQ enabled garage door opener DOESN'T support HomeKit unless I buy an additional part to just support HomeKit. *sigh*
FWIW I just fixed that. Took about 5 minutes. I installed homebridge in a docker container on my home NAS, added the myQ widget, and now "Hey Siri, open the garage door" works great.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

FWIW I just fixed that. Took about 5 minutes. I installed homebridge in a docker container on my home NAS, added the myQ widget, and now "Hey Siri, open the garage door" works great.
I might need to do this on my vsphere lab.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Maybe @Iwantatesla can comment what he sees in the UI for garage door opener? Awhile back it was in the UM, but has since been removed.

Sponsored

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might need to do this on my vsphere lab.
It was crazy simple and I'm mad I haven't done it before.

I'm also mad at the lame level of integration that Google Assistant has with myQ. Google is my voice assistant for home automation stuff and I can't just use it to open the door out of the box.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
It was crazy simple and I'm mad I haven't done it before.

I'm also mad at the lame level of integration that Google Assistant has with myQ. Google is my voice assistant for home automation stuff and I can't just use it to open the door out of the box.
I too am disappointed at the level of integration with Google Assistant.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Just giving this a bump. Can't believe they wouldn't install a simple programable garage door opener or at least integrate something with the software. It's been a long time since I needed to keep a universal remote clipped to the visor, sure hope we don't need to go back to that with a truck of the future..

EDIT: the "hey Siri" thing is cool, but I'm much too paranoid about security to go this route..

Reactions: Rad

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
EDIT: the "hey Siri" thing is cool, but I'm much too paranoid about security to go this route..
I have it, and it's been handy a few times -- but I would NOT want to use it as the primary method of opening/closing the garage door. There is considerable lag (anywhere from 10-60 seconds) and in a pinch it's a life saver but it would be awful to live with, every day.
Sponsored