Sponsored

Any word on home link / garage door opener?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Also, lots of people have community gates/doors that have RF codes but they can't necessarily add MyQ or other internet-connected controls.
This is one of the reasons I suggested MyQ support in addition to something like Homelink and not as the exclusive garage door tech.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would have thought somewhere in the review mirror but its frameless and from all images I did not see any buttons on it. I know there is a opener on the visor but most likely for the garage from the video that is only used for a day or two so no need to program.

1617119403401.png
Certianly no buttons visible there and knowing Rivian's aversion to buttons, I wouldn't expect them to have any (even though this is a case where I feel there would be an advantage to physical buttons). That said, my Volvo has a frameless mirror like that but still has the Homelink buttons underneath.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Me: Hey, Alexa, please open my garage door.

Alexa: Hey DuckTruck, please work with me. It's 2 a.m. Your house was three driveways ago. Would you like me to take the wheel?

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I love how Tesla automates opening and closing the garage door by my car's proximity to it.. I'm hoping for the same approach with my R1S.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I love how Tesla automates opening and closing the garage door by my car's proximity to it.. I'm hoping for the same approach with my R1S.
My fear with this capability is that soon after full self-driving is downloaded via OTA, I'll wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of the garage door closing and hear the faint sound of Rivvy and Alexa laughing, as they pull away for a joyride without me. Kids, these days!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As long as it's configurable... My wife parks in the drive way and we don't want the garage opening every time she gets home.

Reactions: Rad

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hopefully it doesn't do it automatically... the R1S won't fit in the garage ?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

As long as it's configurable... My wife parks in the drive way and we don't want the garage opening every time she gets home.
You make your wife park in the driveway, while you park in the garage? Well played! So do I. haha

Hertukin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
Police
Why do you need hard buttons when everyone has touch-screen smartphones these days? I generally have all the automatic HomeLink garage door and driveway actions very well triggered and popped up by a notification on my phone. Although, you may have problems with an older version of the app or outdated automatic doors. Who knows? Do you want the hard buttons because you're afraid the touch button might give some glitch or crash? The garage door installation company should give you a year or more warranty.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Why do you need hard buttons when everyone has touch-screen smartphones these days? I generally have all the automatic HomeLink garage door and driveway actions very well triggered and popped up by a notification on my phone. Although, you may have problems with an older version of the app or outdated automatic doors. Who knows? Do you want the hard buttons because you're afraid the touch button might give some glitch or crash? The garage door installation company should give you a year or more warranty.
It is generally frowned upon to operate touch screen smart phones while driving, too.

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I want hard buttons for things that I need to operate while the vehicle is moving, such as radio controls, 4wd, and garage doors. Hard buttons are sometimes safer and more quickly operated than a touchscreen.

Touch buttons are cool and all, but sometimes they just don't make sense. Sometimes it's better to be able to feel for and operate buttons with your eyes on the road.

It's illegal in my state, where Rivians are built, to operate a phone while driving, and I know several people who have been pulled over and ticketed for this. I don't want to be next.

I don't think anyone could argue it's safe to be using a touchscreen phone while moving even though most of us do it from time to time.

Also, keep in mind eve smartphone manufactures recognize there is a time and place for physical buttons. That's why there are physical buttons for volume and power on/off on nearly every phone, and some phones have buttons for additional functions such as turning the ringer off. Yet some car companies like Tesla and apartment Rivian still call garbage that making everything operate from a smart screen, while possible, is not desirable.

On a side note but still related... Before Tesla came along did anybody ever say "Man, adjusting these AC vents manually sure is hard. I wish I could operate them by searching though a touchscreen menu while driving and then have them moved for me using tiny electric motors."

This is yet another function that is being over engineered and made needlessly complex using a touchscreen for no good reason.

Last edited:

rockdogz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I asked about this today at the event at Agua Dulce and the first couple of people didn’t know and had to go ask for an answer. The answer was that it would be on the screen introduced in an OTA update.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I chatted with Rivian CS this morning and asked for more details on the garage door functionality.

The agent clarified that their solution is not HomeLink. This is not necessarily a problem as HomeLink is just a brand name we associate with RF-based door control, but I then asked if it supported traditional RF-style commands or if it required an internet-connected opener.

At first the agent said you would need an internet connection for the initial setup of the door, but once it was synced you could open/close the door without it. Since this didn't make much sense I probed a bit more, asking if this internet connection was required of the vehicle, the door opener, or both. The response was an apology and a "clarification" that it may require an internet connection from both the vehicle and the opener, both for setup and continued use. I was then asked for the manufacturer of my opener, but I explained that a broader answer is important, not one that's manufacturer-specific.

They are supposed to ask for more details and follow-up with an email. This doesn't sound promising for those of us hoping to retain RF-style integrations for non-connected garage doors or community gates.

I still can't believe they are delivering vehicles and don't have clear answers to questions like these.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I chatted with Rivian CS this morning and asked for more details on the garage door functionality.

The agent clarified that their solution is not HomeLink. This is not necessarily a problem as HomeLink is just a brand name we associate with RF-based door control, but I then asked if it supported traditional RF-style commands or if it required an internet-connected opener.

At first the agent said you would need an internet connection for the initial setup of the door, but once it was synced you could open/close the door without it. Since this didn't make much sense I probed a bit more, asking if this internet connection was required of the vehicle, the door opener, or both. The response was an apology and a "clarification" that it may require an internet connection from both the vehicle and the opener, both for setup and continued use. I was then asked for the manufacturer of my opener, but I explained that a broader answer is important, not one that's manufacturer-specific.

They are supposed to ask for more details and follow-up with an email. This doesn't sound promising for those of us hoping to retain RF-style integrations for non-connected garage doors or community gates.

I still can't believe they are delivering vehicles and don't have clear answers to questions like these.
To get specific, does the vehicle have an RF transmitter that operates in the 300-390 MHz range which covers most garage door openers (newer HomeLink actually supports 288-433 MHZ)?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

To get specific, does the vehicle have an RF transmitter that operates in the 300-390 MHz range which covers most garage door openers (newer HomeLink actually supports 288-433 MHZ)?
I checked the fcc post we had awhile back and it doesn't look like anything in that range.
Sponsored