Any word on First Drive events in NE?

Thanksgramps

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS V Sport
With my max pack R1T scheduled "First half of 2023"... I am hoping they do a first drive event in Boston at some point to help with the wait. Has anyone heard anything?

I also wish Sugarbush wasn't 200 miles from my house so I could have more confidence in the large pack getting me their without sitting at a Hookset for an hour.
Sponsored

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

I also wish Sugarbush wasn't 200 miles from my house so I could have more confidence in the large pack getting me their without sitting at a Hookset for an hour.
My wife and I visit Stowe a lot in our Taycan which gets 200 miles in the winter. We stop in West Lebanon at the Electrify America stations. Thatā€™ll get you to and from Sugarbush with 15 minutes of charge time with the Large Packā€™s 250 winter miles.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
With my max pack R1T scheduled "First half of 2023"... I am hoping they do a first drive event in Boston at some point to help with the wait. Has anyone heard anything?

I drive from Somerville to Warren VT every weekend in the winter. I think the 200 miles wonā€™t be much of a. Issue unless itā€™s below 15 degrees. With the AT tires it might be close. Iā€™m hoping they make some snow tires for the 21s soon.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I drive from Somerville to Warren VT every weekend in the winter. I think the 200 miles wonā€™t be much of a. Issue unless itā€™s below 15 degrees. With the AT tires it might be close. Iā€™m hoping they make some snow tires for the 21s soon.
I drive from Medford to Bethel every weekend šŸ˜„

When we bought the place in January, temps of my drives were often in the single digits or teens, and I had to stop and charge for 5-10 minutes (might as well pee or grab some great chips at Hookset!).
Once temps were in the upper 20s I was making the whole trip in the Model 3, and now that it is in the 50s I get there with 20 percent remaining.
Well it also depends on how much I rush...
From what I can tell, it seems the Rivian will have just about the same range as my RWD LR Model 3.

I've noticed what seems a few cars making the same trips, notably a Polestar. Now it will be REALLY easy to spot Rivians each week!

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
I drive from Medford to Bethel every weekend šŸ˜„

When we bought the place in January, temps of my drives were often in the single digits or teens, and I had to stop and charge for 5-10 minutes (might as well pee or grab some great chips at Hookset!).
Once temps were in the upper 20s I was making the whole trip in the Model 3, and now that it is in the 50s I get there with 20 percent remaining.
Well it also depends on how much I rush...
From what I can tell, it seems the Rivian will have just about the same range as my RWD LR Model 3.

I've noticed what seems a few cars making the same trips, notably a Polestar. Now it will be REALLY easy to spot Rivians each week!
Itā€™s still anecdotal at this point but it sounds like the people that have had cold weather experience with the Rivians are doing better than the Tesla owners. Maybe itā€™s the bigger battery but A couple of owners on Facebook were only seeing 10 to 15% loss even in 10Ā° weather at over 70 mph. Bethel is only 150 miles?

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShrinkDoc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, VW Alltrack
Occupation
Psychiatrist
Itā€™s still anecdotal at this point but it sounds like the people that have had cold weather experience with the Rivians are doing better than the Tesla owners. Maybe itā€™s the bigger battery but A couple of owners on Facebook were only seeing 10 to 15% loss even in 10Ā° weather at over 70 mph. Bethel is only 150 miles?
Good to hear some experiences from other EV owners in MA who make the weekend MA-VT pilgrimage. We go to Westmore in the heart of the NEK regularly in the warmer months and occasionally in the winter for skiing. Since I don't have a charger at our cabin, I have to charge my Model Y at least once on the way up and again on the return trip -- usually in Ashland or Lincoln, NH. Unfortunately, unlike other parts of VT on 89 and 91, the northern reaches of 93 in NH and VT are a complete void when it comes to chargers. In the winter, I am usually cutting it very close on the return trip after losing a fair amount of charge sitting in single digit temps all weekend. As a result, I feel like I have to get the 21" wheels on my R1T to max out my range even though I 'm a bit concerned about driving the 2 miles or so of dirt roads that lead to our cabin in the winter on the 21" AS tires. I'd honestly prefer the 20" ATs, but practically speaking, losing that 40 miles of range is a no-go for the VT commute.

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 Chevy diesel, 1947 Dodge truck, MG midget
Occupation
Historic house steward
Good to hear some experiences from other EV owners in MA who make the weekend MA-VT pilgrimage. We go to Westmore in the heart of the NEK regularly in the warmer months and occasionally in the winter for skiing. Since I don't have a charger at our cabin, I have to charge my Model Y at least once on the way up and again on the return trip -- usually in Ashland or Lincoln, NH. Unfortunately, unlike other parts of VT on 89 and 91, the northern reaches of 93 in NH and VT are a complete void when it comes to chargers. In the winter, I am usually cutting it very close on the return trip after losing a fair amount of charge sitting in single digit temps all weekend. As a result, I feel like I have to get the 21" wheels on my R1T to max out my range even though I 'm a bit concerned about driving the 2 miles or so of dirt roads that lead to our cabin in the winter on the 21" AS tires. I'd honestly prefer the 20" ATs, but practically speaking, losing that 40 miles of range is a no-go for the VT commute.
Have any first drives been scheduled?

ShrinkDoc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, VW Alltrack
Occupation
Psychiatrist
Have any first drives been scheduled?
I havenā€™t heard of any. Now that Chelsea is up and running, hopefully theyā€™ll start scheduling some.

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

I just met someone working in the Chelsea service center. She said she hasnā€™t heard anything about an up-coming first drive event. She said that she only knows of them two weeks before because she has to prep vehicles. She also suggested that Rivian was hyper focused on delivering trucks. Soā€¦ maybe weā€™ll not see an event anytime soon.

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
First drive Boston is now open for reservations.

Sponsored

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
not seeing any option yet, fingers crossed

OP
OP

Thanksgramps

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS V Sport
I talked to one of the service center guys on Tuesday and asked about a first drive event in Boston. He suggested I watch online for an announcement. His reaction was surprisingly positive. Iā€™ve had my expectations managed before, and this wasnā€™t that.
Nothing in my Rivian account for a drive yet. Apr 2021 max pack res.
Refresh.
Refresh.

mdfr8as

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T + R1S preorders
We received in invite for a test drive. Available dates were June 9th or 10th. Unfortunately we are away! I spoke with CS and they were able to book us another spot on July 6th.
Sponsored