Any word on expected Warranty and design life

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
I am curious if anyone has seen or heard any information on the type of warranty Rivian will offer and also what the design life and safety margin criteria were used during the engineering process.... These items may affect some people's purchasing decision for sure.

For instance I could swallow a standard warranty if the design life and safety margins used for components provide some assurance that the vehicle is engineered to be a long term reliable and durable vehicle.

How many charging cycles are the battery packs designed for under nominal conditions?

thank you
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I am curious if anyone has seen or heard any information on the type of warranty Rivian will offer
Some time ago I had heard/read a Rivian rep mention when asked about the vehicle warranty information that it will not be available until just before the launch in late 2020. Whether or not that pans out will see but in the mean time it's another one of those "don't hold your breath" for info any time soon.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
Kia is advertising an across the line 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Rivian R1T and R1S vehicles have far fewer parts than any Kia so why can't Rivian shoot to match that warranty?

Alan
Missoula

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
This article came up a little while ago, about the first(?) Model S to reach 1 million KM: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-1-million-miles-video/

The reactions on that news in a few places (various forums, reddit) was interesting, and not quite the same as mine. Many people were saying along the lines of "wow, this is proving EVs are so reliable", however if they had actually read the article, they would have seen it required a battery change halfway and 3 motor replacements! Although I probably won't be driving nearly that much, and you could argue that an ICE vehicle reaching 500K is already quite old, I think my takeaway is that for 1st gen products like the R1S/R1T, it's going to be VERY important for Rivian to offer a broad and long-term warranty. If they don't, I think a lot of people will put off buying the vehicles for the first few years to wait and see what happens, making it even harder for Rivian to become a successful auto manufacturer.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
...my takeaway is that for 1st gen products like the R1S/R1T, it's going to be VERY important for Rivian to offer a broad and long-term warranty.
Absolutely and therefore I think we can all rest assured that they will offer a broad and long term warranty. And they should be able to pull that off as they will clearly have several years of battery and motor testing under their belts by the time the products actually hit the market. They will obviously have to offer something like 8 years on the battery and drive train to be competitive with the other manufacturers, in particular Tesla. If they can do that with confidence then it doesn't matter so much if they have some nagging issue like the infamous half shaft problem with the Telsa X. And I think that at least initially warranty problems will be handled in such a way that the buyer is going to be happy even if the vehicle he has is a lemon by which I mean liberal replacement of failed drive train components and battery, liberal buyback offers, loaners delivered to your door etc.

If they don't, I think a lot of people will put off buying the vehicles for the first few years to wait and see what happens, making it even harder for Rivian to become a successful auto manufacturer.
I expect they have enough rabid deposit holders to cover their first year of production. But certainly if that first years production reveals lots of problems with the major component designs that will put off further sales. But it seems that Rivian is very thorough and very careful. I'm guessing that the trucks will be pretty robust along those lines.

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Administrators who ever started this forum should have waited. All I read are dreamers, people that are panicking, and down right attacks on Rivian. I need to some how clear all of my comments and get a life. Time to move on for me. I'm sure this will even provoke personnel attacks.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
If you want to know how long a Tesla lasts and the cost of ownership as comparison. Got check out tesloop. They have everything documented as well as 3-4 cars getting close to 450k miles not KM.
Sponsored