Sponsored

Any updates on the automatic tonneau cover coming back?

lubes

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S pending delivery, BMW i3
Has anyone heard any updates on the automatic tonneau cover and if Rivian plans to bring it back?
Sponsored

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Service told me today that it is still a top priority and said hopefully soon but recognized they didn't hit the Q1 date. So... Not much to go on.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Don't call us.....we'll call you. But hey...let's build more hubs in So Cal.

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

From Reddit just a few hours ago:

Rivian R1T R1S Any updates on the automatic tonneau cover coming back? C8CF72A7-27E0-4DB8-A70D-3A61FBA304A4

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Pretty disappointing on the powered tonneau....

Sounds like all they plan to do is try some beefed up parts, and for those with actual failures, they will start trying to fix them again.

Once warranty is up....then the gig is up....either start paying to keep fixing or find an alternative solution.

And that these beefed up parts don't inspire enough confidence to even think about putting back on the production line....

Also what is with the timeline....still in testing? My warranty will be half gone if not more by the time they even start trying these new "repairs".

Why no mention of any extended warranty on these parts. That almost seems like a mandatory need here. Extend the warranty to significantly beyond standard. That is pretty normal in cases like this in auto industry.

I don't think I have ever heard of anything like this....to stop fixing them....wait for over a year to roll out the fix.....and then not include extended warranty on said fix....

Last edited:

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
I got a similar non-committal answer from service when I got pissed of enough to ask when it's coming. Kinda figure they'll end up just refunding the cost of it for the easy way out, which is lame. Mine was disabled at delivery as they couldn't get it working, right now I'll be happy if they figure something out before I've had it for a year.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I got a similar non-committal answer from service when I got pissed of enough to ask when it's coming. Kinda figure they'll end up just refunding the cost of it for the easy way out, which is lame. Mine was disabled at delivery as they couldn't get it working, right now I'll be happy if they figure something out before I've had it for a year.
I am close to my 1 year anniversary. Still not sure how a class action hasn't happened on this already. Seriously ridiculous and indicative of low priority for them.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I am close to my 1 year anniversary. Still not sure how a class action hasn't happened on this already. Seriously ridiculous and indicative of low priority for them.
Probably because most purchasers agree to binding arbitration during the purchase price.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Probably because most purchasers agree to binding arbitration during the purchase price.
I seriously don't think that stops a class action lawsuit. If it was that easy, then all transactions would have that in terms and conditions. Unless you are an attorney in that field and you know that putting that in the contract factually prevents all class action lawsuits from happening?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I seriously don't think that stops a class action lawsuit. If it was that easy, then all transactions would have that in terms and conditions. Unless you are an attorney in that field and you know that putting that in the contract factually prevents all class action lawsuits from happening?
I am not an attorney. I would encourage you to call an attorney if you would like to start an action.

I simply stated my opinion from reading the document presented to me by Rivian at the time of purchase. It was just my opinion, similar to yours that "If it was that easy, then all transactions would have that in the terms and conditions."

However, if the bar to accuracy is simply that one be a practicing attorney, I would offer this from a firm that would appear to have a better handle on this type of law than either of us.

From the referenced article:

In Concepcion, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that class action waivers in arbitration agreements are enforceable. Section 2 of the FAA provides that agreements to arbitrate are “valid, irrevocable, and enforceable, save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract.” AT&T Mobility L.L.C. v. Concepcion, 563 U.S. 333, 344 (2011). So long as a defendant can show a valid agreement to arbitrate and a valid class action waiver, then a putative class action plaintiff will be unable to proceed on a class basis.​
That article is however from 2020, and the legal basis for it may have changed, though I would suspect a firm such as this might curate their articles pretty carefully.

But, any number of people likely did not sign the agreement to binding arbitration. There were apparently somewhat less than 15,000 vehicles sold with "automatic tonnea covers". I say that because my serial number falls in that range and auto was not an option for me. Reduce 15,000 by the number you believe did not sign the agreement, the number that are OK with what they have, and the number that spec'd manual.

My guess is you end up with somewhere between 3500 and 7500. So move Perhaps you can link up with them and pursue something?

I sincerely wish you all the best with regard to getting either a working tonneau cover or financial satisfaction. As for me, I'll get neither, as I was forced to delete the powered tonneau cover from my spec in December and will likely only ever have access to a manual version of some kind.

Somehow, I'll survive.....

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am not an attorney. I would encourage you to call an attorney if you would like to start an action.

I simply stated my opinion from reading the document presented to me by Rivian at the time of purchase. It was just my opinion, similar to yours that "If it was that easy, then all transactions would have that in the terms and conditions."

However, if the bar to accuracy is simply that one be a practicing attorney, I would offer this from a firm that would appear to have a better handle on this type of law than either of us.

From the referenced article:

In Concepcion, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that class action waivers in arbitration agreements are enforceable. Section 2 of the FAA provides that agreements to arbitrate are “valid, irrevocable, and enforceable, save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract.” AT&T Mobility L.L.C. v. Concepcion, 563 U.S. 333, 344 (2011). So long as a defendant can show a valid agreement to arbitrate and a valid class action waiver, then a putative class action plaintiff will be unable to proceed on a class basis.​
That article is however from 2020, and the legal basis for it may have changed, though I would suspect a firm such as this might curate their articles pretty carefully.

But, any number of people likely did not sign the agreement to binding arbitration. There were apparently somewhat less than 15,000 vehicles sold with "automatic tonnea covers". I say that because my serial number falls in that range and auto was not an option for me. Reduce 15,000 by the number you believe did not sign the agreement, the number that are OK with what they have, and the number that spec'd manual.

My guess is you end up with somewhere between 3500 and 7500. So move Perhaps you can link up with them and pursue something?

I sincerely wish you all the best with regard to getting either a working tonneau cover or financial satisfaction. As for me, I'll get neither, as I was forced to delete the powered tonneau cover from my spec in December and will likely only ever have access to a manual version of some kind.

Somehow, I'll survive.....
I am just honestly curious how ironclad those agreements are. Seems like everyone would throw them in and prevent class actions. Maybe it is that easy and companies like Tesla have missed that opportunity. Or maybe some other technicality I don't understand. But I think Tesla has had numerous class actions against it, so it seems odd they wouldn't have the same thing in their contracts.

I am not really interested in what a class action would produce and would actually likely ask to be excluded from the class if it were to come to that. Mine actually works bit I do rarely use it and clean the tracks and lubricate often.

I was just saying I am surprised somebody hasn't picked up on fact there is a pretty good size number of people who paid for something that in many cases doesn't work and Rivian has only offered an IOU someday for a fix. And now many are over a year old.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Does it matter though? In my anecdotal experience, class-actions make the lawyers rich, and the participants less so. I would seriously doubt a class-action would get us more money than just a straight refund of the add-on from Rivian, but I'd rather none of that happened, the cover takes up a chunk of space and weight, so I'd much rather it could be used.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
There is no announcement of a re-introduced PTC and a strong hint that it may never happen for one reason: to not freeze current sales. This was a big deal to Rivian while designing the R1T and it is as unique and exclusive as the Gear Tunnel, 4 motor drive, and 3.5 ft water proofing (or whatever it is). That is to say they will DEFINITELY reintroduce the powered tonneau cover. But will it be this month? This year? Mum’s the word.
Sponsored