Sponsored

Any Update on the Dearth of 20" AT Deliveries?

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I spoke with two different CS agents that told me the same thing, there isn't a shortage of wheels or tires, but they are batching specific builds.
Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
As an experiment, I swapped to the 21ā€ wheels (already had large/bm). Itā€™s been 5 days and no change in my account status. Either thereā€™s still a lottery component, or there are other factors at play. At this point, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thereā€™s a ā€œdonā€™t deliver a truck to this guyā€ flag in their system.
Could it be location?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Could it be location?
It's possible, although I see other R1Ts running around. I know several people in my city with them -- including order dates over a year after mine.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
It's possible, although I see other R1Ts running around. I know several people in my city with them -- including order dates over a year after mine.
Some service centers *seem* to only be able to have had minimal deliveries in their area after their initial opening.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Some service centers *seem* to only be able to have had minimal deliveries in their area after their initial opening.
Minimal deliveries to new locations would make sense so they can train new employees.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I wonder if switching on R1S will help. *dies laughing at the idea*

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I spoke with two different CS agents that told me the same thing, there isn't a shortage of wheels or tires, but they are batching specific builds.
if this was the case, why is my exact config, except for the wheels, listed on the R1 shop for a person that had factory pickup, when I have factory pickup as my location.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

There is a delay in getting the 20's from China and people are being quoted end of the year or 2023 for a 20' spare at this moment. It's an absolute and significant shortage....there is only one company building them (you can see this in my wheel thread) in China.....

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
There is a delay in getting the 20's from China and people are being quoted end of the year or 2023 for a 20' spare at this moment. It's an absolute and significant shortage....there is only one company building them (you can see this in my wheel thread) in China.....
You make a compelling argument to change my config to 21"

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Obviously customer support info is generally anecdotal, but I happened to get someone that had a lot to say about wheels:

CS: I haven't heard of any wheel shortages - only the Ocean Coast interior issues. I've seen quite a lot of vehicles with the 20" wheels get delivered, and I think they're the most popular ones amongst all the wheels we offer.

CS: When I got my Polestar 2, they also have a pre-configured page and I noticed they had a bunch of vehicles with the stock wheels. When I asked them about it, they said something about EPA regulations that they have to sell (X) amount of vehicles with that wheels since it's what the EPA-rated range is based on. My guess is that's why people who have R1 Shop access see the 21" since those wheels are what our EPA-range is based on. This is purely speculation though but I've seen a bunch of 20" wheels delivered

CS: Most of the people at the office with an R1T have 20" wheels too

CS: Almost nobody at the office has the 21" haha. But then again, most of them go off-roading as well

CS: But as far as delivery timing goes, not much difference with the wheels since all of them are readily available.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Obviously customer support info is generally anecdotal, but I happened to get someone that had a lot to say about wheels:
I think there's something to the EPA requirements. I doubt they can base their EPA estimates on something they ostensibly don't actually ship. I wonder if there's a certain percentage they have to hit.

That said I still don't believe them about the 20s being eminently available. Way too much smoke of there being 21s widely available but constraints on the 20s.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That said I still don't believe them about the 20s being eminently available. Way too much smoke of there being 21s widely available but constraints on the 20s.
Yeah, agreed that there's likely something to it. But it could also be us misinterpreting the signals (e.g. the R1 shop is filled with 21s not because Rivian is only doing 21s but because most people configure 20s so the excess/unaccounted for trucks have 21s).

That said, Rivian has been decently transparent about what will delay your order (e.g. OC, max pack, explore, etc.) so it'd be a little surprising if wheels would significantly delay your order and they wouldn't admit to that.

101kgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 540, Lexus GX460, 1965 Shelby GT350, 81 Bronco
Occupation
Design/Import
switched out to 21s, basically because getting a guide is all I think about so what the hell. not to mention @Mark_AZR1T thread about the customs has me convinced to drop the $ on that route.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
This is very odd because the CS agent I spoke with most recently (via chat) said the same thing almost word for word.

Iā€˜m not arguing whether there is a shortage. Iā€™m just going off of what multiple CS agents said. Also, I just saw a 20 get delivered in my area (DC/Virginia)
Sponsored