Sponsored

Any recommendations for 12V cooler for frunk?

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Wanted to check with the community to see if any of you have used a 12V cooler for the frunk.
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
10 months later still using the icego. Iā€™d recommend it but suggest not using one in the frunk in very warm temps (>90F), it can get pretty toasty in there.
I saw in the original thread that someone said the electrical draw from this unit was like charging an iPhone. I find that kind of hard to believe. Can you provide any real world insight on the range you would expect to lose as a result of leaving this plugged in? Thank you!

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I saw in the original thread that someone said the electrical draw from this unit was like charging an iPhone. I find that kind of hard to believe. Can you provide any real world insight on the range you would expect to lose as a result of leaving this plugged in? Thank you!
Warning: math is about to happen

From my original post using DC power it was drawing about 33W when the compressor was on. So worst case scenario the compressor runs non-stop for 24 hours. 33W * 24 hours = 792 Wh or ~0.63% of the 125kWh available.

In any realistic situation you would probably use half that much because the compressor wonā€™t always be on (assuming you donā€˜t put it in the front trunk on a 100F day).

It gets a little more complicated if you have to put it in camp mode or something to keep the 12V on while the truck for example while camping or something but still mostly negligible next to things like vampire drain, driving , etc.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I love quoting myself šŸ™ƒ

Check out the custom C [=0===0=] L 40 quart 12VDC frunk cooler/freezer being developed by the @BoxGods team! We need like 50 more folks onboard to get this project into production. It pairs well with the frunk water tank too!

Here's the Rivian forums link: https://www.rivianforums.com/powere...12-gal-water-tank-w-washdown-sprayer-concept/

And a direct link to the project: https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/10/12vdc-frunk-cooler-freezer-project

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
Thanks for this thread, I just put my order in. The Iceco Go 20 still looks like the best option. Are there any usage tips those of you who have been using can share?

Sponsored

Neighbors

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius
Occupation
Media Development

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

So if you were like me an lurked on this thread you might have noticed that the Iceco go20 (white) was on sale for less than 350 through the holidays.

I failed to jump and now the "budget" option is back up to 450.

Not wanting to spend that much I have taken a leap and tried a newer unknown offering.

I recently purchased the Wolfbox 12v Portable Refrigerator.

At time of writing, on Amazon they offer a 19q ($300)or 26q ($330) model.
There is also a $50 coupon lowering it to $250/$280 respectively

I purchased the 26q.

Initial impressions:

has battery protection modes, and displays connection voltage, may use this as a secondary battery monitor if I get brave enough to hard wire to 12v system

It feels on par with the dometic cfx series I have been able to get hands on in REI.

single zone, but the freezer part is consistently 10C colder than main compartment

thermostat seems accurate, buying a little thermometer this weekend to see exact variance

Interior light is nice and missing on many more expensive offerings

The lid can be opened from either side or completely removed

I also like that it is a more rugged/ camping looking as compared to the iceco Tesla interior dystopia vibe, personal preference though.

I haven't been able to verify who makes the compressor, but it is very quiet (my Levoit air filter on low was louder than this on Max to cool to 0F.

I will provide pics of it in the truck later with some live measurements in popular locations.

Last edited:

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
So if you were like me an lurked on this thread you might have noticed that the Iceco go20 (white) was on sale for less than 350 through the holidays.

I failed to jump and now the "budget" option is back up to 450.

Not wanting to spend that much I have taken a leap and tried a newer unknown offering.

I recently purchased the Wolfbox 12v Portable Refrigerator.

At time of writing, on Amazon they offer a 19q ($300)or 26q ($330) model.
There is also a $50 coupon lowering it to $250/$280 respectively

I purchased the 26q.

Initial impressions:

has battery protection modes, and displays connection voltage, may use this as a secondary battery monitor if I get brave enough to hard wire to 12v system

It feels on par with the dometic cfx series I have been able to get hands on in REI.

Dual zone capable

thermostat seems accurate, buying a little thermometer this weekend to see exact variance

Interior light is nice and missing on many more expensive offerings

The lid can be opened from either side or completely removed

I also like that it is a more rugged/ camping looking as compared to the iceco Tesla interior dystopia vibe, personal preference though.

I haven't been able to verify who makes the compressor, but it is very quiet (my Levoit air filter on low was louder than this on Max to cool to 0F.

I will provide pics of it in the truck later with some live measurements in popular locations.
Does this fit in the Frunk? Thanks!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Warning: math is about to happen

From my original post using DC power it was drawing about 33W when the compressor was on. So worst case scenario the compressor runs non-stop for 24 hours. 33W * 24 hours = 792 Wh or ~0.63% of the 125kWh available.

In any realistic situation you would probably use half that much because the compressor wonā€™t always be on (assuming you donā€˜t put it in the front trunk on a 100F day).

It gets a little more complicated if you have to put it in camp mode or something to keep the 12V on while the truck for example while camping or something but still mostly negligible next to things like vampire drain, driving , etc.
Just want to highlight the camp mode issue here. The fridge itself uses almost nothing. Keeping the truck energized uses an awful lot by comparison. Camp mode increases my vampire drain significantly (from ~1-2% to ~5+% per day).
Sponsored