Sponsored

Any reason to buy the 5 seater instead of 7 seater R1S?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I've ordered the 7 seat R1S as that works better for our family. Then I got to thinking about the 5 seater and wondered what value or reason there would be to buy that over the 7 seater. I thought maybe it offers something the 7 seater doesn't have. And I concluded there's almost no reason to buy the 5 seater, no matter your family size or storage needs. There is nothing extra you get with the 5 seater. No extra space, no larger rear cargo area, no extra space for a full size tire. When you fold down the 3rd row, it'll have almost the exact same cargo space (negligible difference). The only difference would be a little bit of weight but with a 7000 lbs vehicle, its negligible again.

I contacted CS to ask if there was anything else different that I might have missed but they confirmed what I wrote above. So, why not get the 7 seater, even if you want only 5 seats? You can keep the 3rd row folded. And you have that there when you need it in a pinch or need to haul a couple of extra people.

What do you all think?
Sponsored

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
I have thought the same thing. A few inches of extra storage space seems completely inconsequential. I would pick the 7 seater all day, just to have them.

I still cannot believe they are priced the same.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I have thought the same thing. A few inches of extra storage space seems completely inconsequential. I would pick the 7 seater all day, just to have them.

I still cannot believe they are priced the same.
Same thought as well. I do believe sometime in the future, Rivian will ask for extra $ for 7 seater (vs 5 seater). Pretty much every single automaker will make you pay extra $ for extra seats. It is currently a bargain that both 5 & 7 are priced the same.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I've ordered the 7 seat R1S as that works better for our family. Then I got to thinking about the 5 seater and wondered what value or reason there would be to buy that over the 7 seater. I thought maybe it offers something the 7 seater doesn't have. And I concluded there's almost no reason to buy the 5 seater, no matter your family size or storage needs. There is nothing extra you get with the 5 seater. No extra space, no larger rear cargo area, no extra space for a full size tire. When you fold down the 3rd row, it'll have almost the exact same cargo space (negligible difference). The only difference would be a little bit of weight but with a 7000 lbs vehicle, its negligible again.

I contacted CS to ask if there was anything else different that I might have missed but they confirmed what I wrote above. So, why not get the 7 seater, even if you want only 5 seats? You can keep the 3rd row folded. And you have that there when you need it in a pinch or need to haul a couple of extra people.

What do you all think?
Only other thing I can think of is range. We'll have to see what the "longer range" R1S brings. If that variant is available in 7 seats, and there's not 2 different longer range variants dependent on 5 or 7 seats (7 seater being the shorter "longer range" variant), then yeah, no reason not to go with the 7 seater.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

What do you all think?
If the 5-seat version was available with a full-size spare then Iā€™d probably get the 5-seater with spare.

Otherwise, why would I give up the ability to carry 2 extra passengers? Even if needed infrequently, the 7-passenger configuration gives you 2 seats, 2 seatbelts, possibly 2 extra side side/curtain airbags, and possibly extra HVAC vents for $0.00 and with no foreseeable downside. They may provide 7-passenger type airbags and vents in both configurations because it is more cost-effective to keep those parts the same than develop more 5-seat specific parts. Weā€™ll know eventually.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Originally the 5 seated was the configuration for the Max Pack R1S.

That was a while back, but now the Max Pack isn't an option.

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I would get a 2 seater option if they had it. The more seats, the more likely you will be the default transporter in family gatherings. Kidding aside, I have a hard time believing they would let the extra space go to waste. gotta see it to believe it. Even if there were two more inches of interior height in the back or under floor storage, I would stay with 5 seater.

p.s. CS told me the reason you canā€™t have full size spare is that R1S is shorter than R1T so additional depth wouldnā€™t solve the problem.

SkyLander

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The reason I reserved a 5 seater is that I'm a dog person and I really want any extra air conditioned space possible. The "hope" is that the 5 seat configuration removes the seat belts + extra cup holders + extra 7 seat specific things. I would gain that for dog crates or other things that I would end up using.

When I look at any larger SUV that has a 3rd row I don't actually gain extra interior space because any full size SUV benefits gets lost with all the extra stuff for the 3rd row besides the extra seats themselves. This is compared to a mid size 2 row.

I am never planning on needing or wanting the 3rd row. As far as I can tell this is really the only large SUV that has 2 rows as an option. Which is exactly what I've been looking for. Aside from a dodge Durango SRT I think. You can remove the 3rd row as a configuration.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

What do you all think?
Plus better resale value

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

The reason I reserved a 5 seater is that I'm a dog person and I really want any extra air conditioned space possible. The "hope" is that the 5 seat configuration removes the seat belts + extra cup holders + extra 7 seat specific things. I would gain that for dog crates or other things that I would end up using.

When I look at any larger SUV that has a 3rd row I don't actually gain extra interior space because any full size SUV benefits gets lost with all the extra stuff for the 3rd row besides the extra seats themselves. This is compared to a mid size 2 row.

I am never planning on needing or wanting the 3rd row. As far as I can tell this is really the only large SUV that has 2 rows as an option. Which is exactly what I've been looking for. Aside from a dodge Durango SRT I think. You can remove the 3rd row as a configuration.
Iā€™m right there with you. I will need to see the 5 vs 7 configurations. I have had both configured but wonā€™t make final decision until I have seen both. Plus I may wait until max pack R1S.

Sponsored

GOLFISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Ridgline, Subaru Outback, Odyssey, Prius
Does Rivian give a rear cargo volume number with and without the third row?
I am thinking about my Honda van and how the third row folds flat into the rear cargo "trunk"

pinolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP, TLX

What do you all think?
Thanks for this info. I was on the fence about what benefits the 5 seater would have over the 7 seater. On their website they stated extra space but will stick with the 7 and duplicate what I already have in my daily driver.
Sponsored