Sponsored

Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage?

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
I feel like there was a thread with a truck on a lift and everyone was debating whether they were assembly workers, engineers, guides … I’m trying to remember how much of the underbody shields it might show …
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think people are getting a little too worried about the battery protection. The website describes stock protection that's robust (realistically it has to be for safety with the battery). You won't be able to see that to any degree when lifted, just like a Tesla.

The way I read it, the off-road package is really just piece of mind if you want to frequently drop your truck in rocks off-roading. Scratches and general use shouldn't do a thing to the base protection other than leave basic scratches.

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
I think people are getting a little too worried about the battery protection. The website describes stock protection that's robust (realistically it has to be for safety with the battery). You won't be able to see that to any degree when lifted, just like a Tesla.

The way I read it, the off-road package is really just piece of mind if you want to frequently drop your truck in rocks off-roading. Scratches and general use shouldn't do a thing to the base protection other than leave basic scratches.
I totally agree and mine will probably never see “that kind” of off-road so I’m fine spending the 2K on something else anyway. The engineer in me was just curious how different the standard vs. off-road package was (aside from the tow hooks and the tires that 50% probably opted out of anyway). There was a picture floating around of some folks standing under an R1T …

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
My guess would be that the battery area between the frame rails will be well protected regardless but the underside of the body outside of the frame rails and forward of the front tires/behind the rear tires will be thinner material, primarily to reduce wind drag but the off-road package would improve the impact resistance in those areas.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I totally agree and mine will probably never see “that kind” of off-road so I’m fine spending the 2K on something else anyway. The engineer in me was just curious how different the standard vs. off-road package was (aside from the tow hooks and the tires that 50% probably opted out of anyway). There was a picture floating around of some folks standing under an R1T …
Same. And I am getting the off-road package for insurance in the 1% chance that I actually follow through with some interesting driving. It's a miracle I've talked myself out of the max pack. Lol.

I'm curious what the actual add-on protection looks like as well, my comment was more intended to remind people that the existing battery protection should be totally fine for almost all use cases because it seems like some folks were under the impression there wasn't any major protection without the package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Same. And I am getting the off-road package for insurance in the 1% chance that I actually follow through with some interesting driving. It's a miracle I've talked myself out of the max pack. Lol.

I'm curious what the actual add-on protection looks like as well, my comment was more intended to remind people that the existing battery protection should be totally fine for almost all use cases because it seems like some folks were under the impression there wasn't any major protection without the package.
Totally agree. The Tesla battery shielding was good and they revised them I think after some hard lessons. I have to imagine Rivian is doing that as the baseline.

Last edited:

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Not sure how old this is and if those tow hooks are still part of the production version.
Rivian R1T R1S Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage? 1622318283546

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Found’em …
#1 looks like off-road package but shields clearly aren’t on yet.
#2 is hard to tell
#3 may be pre-production or is showing the non-off-road underbody (plastic or FRP?) aero covering

Rivian R1T R1S Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage? A9A0ED6E-A937-41DC-BD7E-82A13E56C88D
Rivian R1T R1S Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage? DE1FDCF6-86DE-4F4C-A534-DC9A9EED04A3
Rivian R1T R1S Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage? 447CC163-B318-43AA-BCA2-EDF90873D60A

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure how old this is and if those tow hooks are still part of the production version.
1622318283546.jpeg
Good point. Hooks are a giveaway that this was a very early version.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

For all the back and forth regarding negative range impacts from the mass of the Off-Road Package, I can't help but think the improved aerodynamics will offset some of that at constant freeway speeds.

It would seem to be the same as the tonneau cover. More mass, yet improved aerodynamics.

I also imagine the improved airflow and extra material between the cabin and the road will likely make for a quieter ride with all wheel/tire combos. This, in turn, will allow the Meridian 360⁰ to use less energy in playing my endless loop of Bob Dylan and Tom Petty concert performances. That said, I still won't be able to understand half of what they're saying.... ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
For all the back and forth regarding negative range impacts from the mass of the Off-Road Package, I can't help but think the improved aerodynamics will offset some of that at constant freeway speeds.

It would seem to be the same as the tonneau cover. More mass, yet improved aerodynamics.

I also imagine the improved airflow and extra material between the cabin and the road will likely make for a quieter ride with all wheel/tire combos. This, in turn, will allow the Meridian 360⁰ to use less energy in playing my endless loop of Bob Dylan and Tom Petty concert performances. That said, I still won't be able to understand half of what they're saying.... ?
My guess is that the underbody is super smooth with or without the off-road package. I doubt aerodynamics is different enough one way or the other to affect range. I guess we don’t know enough to know if the mass is a meaningful effect. Tire tread and weight were probably the biggest factor and since so many opted for other wheels, my guess is this move simplifies their supply chain and assembly to not have to bother with this on every LE.

OP
OP
KenJ

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Also came across these since there was comparison to underbody protection on the Tesla.

They made a modification after some accidents, but the difference is a minor deflector bar and a couple of SMALL plates that cover a narrow gap that exposed a HV cable. The battery didn’t get more shielding and the rest of the underbody kept the same plastic aero.

Tesla added deflector #1, small titanium plate #2 and another small aluminum plate #3.

This would be all hidden under the normal plastic aero panel. You can see the front of the battery bottom towards the lower edge of the picture.

Rivian R1T R1S Any pictures of Rivian underside / undercarriage? 311ECDC1-E776-4C29-9E60-42CB44CDA270

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Would one be able to tow an R1T all 4 down WITHOUT the off road/tow hooks option? Or would you have to trailer the R1T without it?

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Would one be able to tow an R1T all 4 down WITHOUT the off road/tow hooks option? Or would you have to trailer the R1T without it?
In the configurator it does show a spot for a tow hook eye to attach behind a removable cover on the front bumper like a lot of cars do. Perfect place to put a front license plate for those states that require it without drilling holes. Not sure how strong it would be, but none the less it is there.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Regardless of tow hooks, all recent indications from Rivian CS have been that you will not be able to flat tow a Rivian except for short recharge distances in case of emergency.
Sponsored