Sponsored

Any evidence of load sharing capability with Rivian chargers?

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Then Tesla put their J1772 wall connector up for sale for $415, which allows for load sharing.
Yeah this had been the route I wanted to go, but unfortunately the short lived sale of those Tesla J1772 wall connectors wont load share with a standard Tesla Gen2 unit. A buddy of mine tried and it never would work and others have reported the same. So having two Gen2 units was the best option for me.

If I was to do it over again I probably would have just sold my Gen2 unit and then bought two new Gen3 units and a TeslaTap adapter. I don't need the extra capacity that the Gen2 units are built for and it would be nice to have the lighter weight cable. I also like the look of the Tesla wall connectors better than anything else out there and I have them attached to the outside wall of my garage and can see them from the house. When I go upstairs to bed I can see the green charging lights indicating all is good.
Rivian R1T R1S Any evidence of load sharing capability with Rivian chargers? 1649350073183
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Yeah this had been the route I wanted to go, but unfortunately the short lived sale of those Tesla J1772 wall connectors wont load share with a standard Tesla Gen2 unit. A buddy of mine tried and it never would work and others have reported the same. So having two Gen2 units was the best option for me.
Yeah, I heard that, too—which is bizarre since I'm pretty sure that would have been a big selling point. I'm glad I grabbed them when I did, it was a bit of a gamble, but now I have a pretty future-proof setup. I plan on vinyl-wrapping at least the one to match my R1T (in yellow) once I get it. If we swap out the Model S for an R1S later, I'll probably wrap the other one to match it as well.

Really only complaint with them is the size, they are pretty chunky units. The mobile charger I had set up (with a wall hook) took up about half the room. Luckily the one you walk by is between the garage doors, so it doesn't stick out enough to be an issue.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
The newer systems put each EVSE on a separate breaker (alll of which could, but do not have to be, in the samw subpanel) and the sharing is managed by software using WiFi to communicate with the individual units. This way one could, for example, limit the total draw from the subpanel or in a parking garage or a motel.,,... That's how the Tesla Gen3's work. The Gen2 did connect multiple EVSE in parallel to one 100A circuit. One of them was designated the master. It communicated with the slave units via a hard wired bus limiting the draw for the ensemble to 80A or less.
Thanks, that makes total sense. You have separate breakers for the full power, you are maximizing the current draw across them. Now I get it!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
The Gen 2 Tesla system was designed to support older Teslas with internal chargers that could exceed the 48 amp max (72A?). So a 100A circuit was beneficial. Now sharing a 100A circuit is not beneficial, so the Gen 3 Tesla chargers have a lower capacity and is less expensive to build.
Some older Model S had dual onboard chargers and could combine to take up to 80A. The Model X introduced the 72A capable single onboard charger. Tesla moved away from that and went with 48A max for onboard AC chargers, as most of the EV industry has. Hence why their Gen 3 wall connector tops out for a 60A circuit, max 48A charging. The SR Model 3 initially (not sure about current one) would charge up to 32A.

The Gen 2 Tesla Wall Charger supports load sharing. This is still the model they recommend and sell for destination chargers through their commercial sales department. They also now offer it with a J1772 connector. You can have up to 4 on a single circuit of up to 100A. They're a great option to put two of them on a single 60A, 80A or 100A circuit.

But anyways, buying Tesla chargers to use with a Rivian is unlikely to be a good choice. Rivian almost certainly plans to do a similar system to Tesla Gen 3, but that improvement seems unlikely for years.
With the addition of the J1772 variant of the charger to their offerings they're a great option for a load-balanced installation. It gives current Tesla owners a way to have one for their Tesla and another for their other brand of EV on the same circuit and no adapters to mess with. The chargers are proven and reliable and just work.

Wallbox or JuiceBox also have load-balancing capable EVSEs.

* EDIT * apparently people are saying the Tesla J1772 connector models don't share with the regular Gen2 wall chargers. That's lame.

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Seriously? The J1772 version won't share with the regular Gen2? Crap. I was planning to buy one to replace one of the Gen2 chargers at a building of mine. I Just had a new tenant move in asking about the chargers for his e-tron. If that's the case in regards to compatibility I'll just get a J1772 charger and put it on his unit...

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I also have two Rivians coming, however I had the wiring done for two chargers. If you’ve got the capacity or are already putting in a subpanel like I was, it wasn’t a ton more to just have two done at the same time (I did not have a long distance to go)

I totally get that it will be rare when I actually need them both at once, but since we have time of use here and the EV charging hours are midnight to 6am, if we split that’s only 3 hours.

BTW, I had the wiring done and boxed in and then they left me with a short flexible conduit and wires to hook up the Rivian units myself when they arrive.

Last edited:

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Seriously? The J1772 version won't share with the regular Gen2? Crap. I was planning to buy one to replace one of the Gen2 chargers at a building of mine. I Just had a new tenant move in asking about the chargers for his e-tron. If that's the case in regards to compatibility I'll just get a J1772 charger and put it on his unit...
The J1772 Tesla EVSE isn’t even listed anymore at the Tesla store, so maybe they discontinued it.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

The J1772 Tesla EVSE isn’t even listed anymore at the Tesla store, so maybe they discontinued it.
When Tesla was doing the Destination Charger program with hotels, restaurants, and even some Superchargers, they were providing some of these chargers. They've never before been for sale to the regular consumer. The consensus when these popped online last fall was that Tesla had extra in stock from the program and just wanted to get rid of them, especially since they are adapted Gen2 units. Really a shame because it would be another good charger in the J1772 market. If they bring a J1772 unit back onto the market I'm sure it'll be using an adapted Gen3 unit.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Just get a TeslaTap.
Agreed, thats what I did at my house. Two Gen2 Tesla Wall Connectors, 1 for the Model 3 and one for the R1T with a TeslaTap Mini 60 on it. But I do think Tesla is missing out on an opportunity to sell more chargers to the general public that don't understand you can just get an adapter.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Agreed, thats what I did at my house. Two Gen2 Tesla Wall Connectors, 1 for the Model 3 and one for the R1T with a TeslaTap Mini 60 on it. But I do think Tesla is missing out on an opportunity to sell more chargers to the general public that don't understand you can just get an adapter.
Tesla likely dropped the J1772 because they were supply constrained.

Wall connectors really should only be a couple hundred dollars in volume. The cord is the only expensive part. So may $300 for the long cord models?

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Tesla likely dropped the J1772 because they were supply constrained.
It for sure could have been because of supply constraints, I just don't think so. The J1772 version was only on their site for a week before they pulled it. I think it just got discontinued from their destination charger program and they sold what stock was remaining. Maybe an old shipping container finally arrived. 🤷‍♂️

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
For those that have load sharing, how do they get wired in practice to share the load. Do you just have effectively a Y on the wire at some point?
Yes. The Juiceboxes, despite being wifi coordinated, specifically call out in the manual that they must be on the same circuit (I see no technical reason for this, but it's likely the configuration they used for their listing).

Mine are on a single breaker which, in my install, reduces total wire needed and conduit size requirements for about 20' to my first pedestal. In the j-box, there are insulated multi tap (Polaris) connectors splicing the feed, the first juicebox's whip, and the wire down to the 2nd pedestal. The 2nd pedestal also uses the Polaris connectors, just with 2 ports instead of 3. The skinny wires are for some general purpose receptacles I added to my pedestals since I was doing all the hard work already.

Rivian R1T R1S Any evidence of load sharing capability with Rivian chargers? C11578DA-A0A4-45B7-BE20-6C77A0156C60

Rivian R1T R1S Any evidence of load sharing capability with Rivian chargers? B60B8B1E-A517-4B99-8A5A-60904E3FB4B9
Sponsored