Sponsored

Any evidence of load sharing capability with Rivian chargers?

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I'd like the capability to charge up to 48A with one connected but also only have one 60A line. I've seen there are charges that can talk to each other or other ones that have two cables to one charger. Rivian chargers at $500 each makes it a pretty appealing option.
Thoughts on best option?
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'd like the capability to charge up to 48A with one connected but also only have one 60A line. I've seen there are charges that can talk to each other or other ones that have two cables to one charger. Rivian chargers at $500 each makes it a pretty appealing option.
Thoughts on best option?
JuiceBox

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
If its not in the spec I will make a WAG that sharing will work with the next version of the charger. You have a second EV now?

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
If its not in the spec I will make a WAG that sharing will work with the next version of the charger. You have a second EV now?
Have a R1T and R1S that are scheduled to arrive in the same month.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
While the Rivian EVSE is a good deal, it doesn’t currently have load sharing, so just look for another EVSE that does.

Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
For those that have load sharing, how do they get wired in practice to share the load. Do you just have effectively a Y on the wire at some point?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
For those that have load sharing, how do they get wired in practice to share the load. Do you just have effectively a Y on the wire at some point?
The newer systems put each EVSE on a separate breaker (alll of which could, but do not have to be, in the samw subpanel) and the sharing is managed by software using WiFi to communicate with the individual units. This way one could, for example, limit the total draw from the subpanel or in a parking garage or a motel.,,... That's how the Tesla Gen3's work. The Gen2 did connect multiple EVSE in parallel to one 100A circuit. One of them was designated the master. It communicated with the slave units via a hard wired bus limiting the draw for the ensemble to 80A or less.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The Gen 2 Tesla system was designed to support older Teslas with internal chargers that could exceed the 48 amp max (72A?). So a 100A circuit was beneficial. Now sharing a 100A circuit is not beneficial, so the Gen 3 Tesla chargers have a lower capacity and is less expensive to build.

But anyways, buying Tesla chargers to use with a Rivian is unlikely to be a good choice. Rivian almost certainly plans to do a similar system to Tesla Gen 3, but that improvement seems unlikely for years.

100 amp service for EVs in a typical nice house with a 2 1/2 car garage seems like it will become standard. This will likely push house with multiple ACs to install 400 amp primary service.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Juicebox can link two together but I do not believe the Rivian one will do that.

Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

But anyways, buying Tesla chargers to use with a Rivian is unlikely to be a good choice.
I disagree, works fine for me. I already had a Tesla Gen 2 wall charger and I was able to buy a 2nd one on ebay so I could load share. Put on the TeslaTap Mini 60 adapter for the R1T and it works great. This was the cheapest route to load share for me since I already had a Tesla Gen 2 charger.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I disagree, works fine for me. I already had a Tesla Gen 2 wall charger and I was able to buy a 2nd one on ebay so I could load share. Put on the TeslaTap Mini 60 adapter for the R1T and it works great. This was the cheapest route to load share for me since I already had a Tesla Gen 2 charger.
I got lucky. I had always just used my mobile charger for our Tesla, but when I decided 1) we were probably never going to buy a Tesla again, and 2) I wanted to go full electric, I started looking into my options.

Then Tesla put their J1772 wall connector up for sale for $415, which allows for load sharing. I grabbed two of those, plus a lot of money for wire & conduit, and an extra Tesla/J1722 adapter. Now I can charge our Tesla using the J1772 adapter easily (I only lost the magic button that opens the charge door), and charge any other manufacturer's vehicle at the same time. When we finally sell the Model S, I'll pull off the adapter (but keep it for any friends who want to top off) and have dual J1772 chargers.

When I researched last year, this appeared to be one of the cheapest ways to charge 2 vehicles off one circuit, especially if you need to have the connectors located on different walls in the garage. I also don't need any of the smart functionality (the cars tell me enough about their charging state).

Plus I got back nearly the cost of one whole connector in tax rebates for the infrastructure upgrade.
Sponsored