Any Chicagoans have an idea of what our sales tax will be?

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
Is it strictly based on residence and thus we are SCREWED at 9.5%? I thought I read something where they split the difference between residence and where you purchased it somehow.

Advertisement

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Is it strictly based on residence and thus we are SCREWED at 9.5%? I thought I read something where they split the difference between residence and where you purchased it somehow.
For dumb stuff like this, I'm a rule bender. I would temporarily move & change the address on my license, then move back after registering the truck.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer, and would never recommend someone else following my special brand of problem solving.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium, Pre-order Bollinger B1, Pre-order Rivian R1T
You could always form a Montana LLC and purchase it through the LLC and avoid sales tax altogether. Not that I’d know anything about that... I’ve heard there are more cars registered in MT than there are residents.

OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
You could always form a Montana LLC and purchase it through the LLC and avoid sales tax altogether. Not that I’d know anything about that... I’ve heard there are more cars registered in MT than there are residents.
I'm accident prone, a bad liar, and have very bad luck.

OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
For dumb stuff like this, I'm a rule bender. I would temporarily move & change the address on my license, then move back after registering the truck.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer, and would never recommend someone else following my special brand of problem solving.
If you know how to do that for like less than 2k, I'm impressed. But see my last post about why no... not a good idea.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicles
Tesla S 90D
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well if you want to save few bucks to lower your tax, register it in dupage county instead of cook.

Advertisement

Advertisement