Sponsored

Any Chance for Normal Door Handles and Proximity Keys?

spencerb

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The only thing keeping me from seriously considering a Rivian is the door handles/keys. Seems like there is a lot of frustration. Frankly I just want regular handles and keys. You keep the key in your pocket, grab the handle and the truck unlocks, leave the truck and touch a button and the truck locks. Easy and not complicated. I'm not sold on the handles in/out business, phone as a key, and unlocking as you approach. Sure, make it an optional setting. But give me what I'm used to.

The key for my F150 never crashes, consistently works without fail, and the battery lasts for years. Can't say that for a phone. I also don't have to touch the key or a bracelet or card to the truck to unlock it.

I don't want the handles to go in and out. I don't want to do some funky hand motion to open the door like on a Tesla.

I don't want the truck to lock/unlock when I walk past it. Too many times I have not intention of getting in the truck or locking it after leaving.

I know they use the retractable handles to increase range due to aerodynamics. But I'd gladly forego a few miles to not have to deal with their oddities.

So... I know there's about a 0% chance, but will they ever ditch the retractable handles and go with normal handles and proximity keys? I've heard that Cadillac is already going back to regular handles on the Lyric. I really doubt Rivian will do it though. Or will there be some kind of button on/near the handle to command locking so a regular proximity key can be used? I'd probably be ok with a proximity key and a button on the truck to unlock/extend the handle and lock/retract the handle.
Sponsored

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
I can only speak for my own experience, but the locking and unlocking situation with my R1T (VIN 155xx) has been rock-solid. No problems with my phone, fob, or the cards. And personally, coming from a Model 3 and Model Y, the Rivian handles are a huge improvement in usability. Your concerns, at least afa the handle design, are completely without merit imho.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
I have zero issues with my fob or phone key. I never use the cards. The addition of proximity fob feature being added will be nice too. I'm not trying to minimize issues or say they don't exist at all it feels like if one person has an issue it gets amplified to become a massive problem that is consuming all owners. My truck has been majority free of problems for almost 10,000 miles now.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The only thing keeping me from seriously considering a Rivian is the door handles/keys. Seems like there is a lot of frustration. Frankly I just want regular handles and keys. You keep the key in your pocket, grab the handle and the truck unlocks, leave the truck and touch a button and the truck locks. Easy and not complicated. I'm not sold on the handles in/out business, phone as a key, and unlocking as you approach. Sure, make it an optional setting. But give me what I'm used to.

The key for my F150 never crashes, consistently works without fail, and the battery lasts for years. Can't say that for a phone. I also don't have to touch the key or a bracelet or card to the truck to unlock it.

I don't want the handles to go in and out. I don't want to do some funky hand motion to open the door like on a Tesla.

I don't want the truck to lock/unlock when I walk past it. Too many times I have not intention of getting in the truck or locking it after leaving.

I know they use the retractable handles to increase range due to aerodynamics. But I'd gladly forego a few miles to not have to deal with their oddities.

So... I know there's about a 0% chance, but will they ever ditch the retractable handles and go with normal handles and proximity keys? I've heard that Cadillac is already going back to regular handles on the Lyric. I really doubt Rivian will do it though. Or will there be some kind of button on/near the handle to command locking so a regular proximity key can be used? I'd probably be ok with a proximity key and a button on the truck to unlock/extend the handle and lock/retract the handle.
Latest Rivian software update makes the Rivian key fob work as a proximity fob. I haven't seen anyone mention testing it out at all though. Just came out yesterday.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Are you aware the Lyriq's door has a button which pushes the door slightly out, and then you grab a handle near the window for the front door, or the door itself for the rear? It sounds like what you think is an acceptable solution, but you seem more interested in that they are changing it.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
From a practical point of view, these R1's are considered 'adventure' vehicles (whether you take them to Moab or just do the school run, bear with me). That means good chance they'll get dirty.

I've found from my Jeep that all the mud and crap whilst driving gets sprayed up in and around the door handles and I don't want to get my nice soft, clean hands dirty!!

These handles on the Riv are fantastic.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can only speak for my own experience, but the locking and unlocking situation with my R1T (VIN 155xx) has been rock-solid. No problems with my phone, fob, or the cards. And personally, coming from a Model 3 and Model Y, the Rivian handles are a huge improvement in usability. Your concerns, at least afa the handle design, are completely without merit imho.
I frequently look like a fool standing next to my drivers door waiting for my truck to finally unlock. The system isn’t perfect and “completely without merit” is a silly statement.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I frequently look like a fool standing next to my drivers door waiting for my truck to finally unlock. The system isn’t perfect and “completely without merit” is a silly statement.
Really? Seems like you have a lot of issues with your Rivian. Maybe time to get a different vehicle?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Really? Seems like you have a lot of issues with your Rivian. Maybe time to get a different vehicle?
Very constructive and helpful. A+++ post; will read again. :rolleyes:

(Read the forums... PAAK issues are rampant).

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't use PAAK, I only use the key fob. Works exactly as every other car i have ever had with the exception of when i push the unlock button the handles pop out. It really feels no different. PAAK works find for me too, i just prefer the fob.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

Ok. PAAK issues have gone way down in the last few updates.
My experience disagrees; PAAK has become increasingly less reliable for me. I frequently find myself standing next to my truck feeling like a moron while I fiddle around in the app trying to get the door to unlock.

Maybe phone type matters? Who knows. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My experience disagrees; PAAK has become increasingly less reliable for me. I frequently find myself standing next to my truck feeling like a moron while I fiddle around in the app trying to get the door to unlock.

Maybe phone type matters? Who knows. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
It’s worked great on my iPhone 11.
Sponsored