First Name
Cc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Interesting - give data on the owned vehicle for them to sell and make money so a monthly report can be given to the vehicle owner
More interesting if you checked the site "Data is handled securely with end-to-end encryption and your info is never shared without permission."
Sponsored

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
More interesting if you checked the site "Data is handled securely with end-to-end encryption and your info is never shared without permission."
Did you read the DPIA / DPA?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm not entirely sure enough information is exposed to us to be able to make an informed decision on a minor amount of degradation.

romeopapa

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Toyota School Bus (Sequoia)
Since some of us are going to 2nd year of ownership. Do we see any degradation yet? My tesla model 3 is not very lucky with that after 3 years and have about 15% degraded.
Have you swapped to different tires from the OEM? I have tried a few tires on my Model 3 and they make a huge difference in range. I love the way Pilot Sport 4s drive, but they really don't last, and really give range a solid hit. The original equipment, low rolling resistance tires, are the only way you are going to see full range. I also aired my original tires down by 5psi.... again, loved the handling, but you take a mpg hit.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Would 25% be better? I couldn't resist.
Have you swapped to different tires from the OEM? I have tried a few tires on my Model 3 and they make a huge difference in range. I love the way Pilot Sport 4s drive, but they really don't last, and really give range a solid hit. The original equipment, low rolling resistance tires, are the only way you are going to see full range. I also aired my original tires down by 5psi.... again, loved the handling, but you take a mpg hit.
I'm on 3 different sets of tires from the original. Doesn't make much diff to be honest. Yes. The pilot sports 4s doesn't last long at all

Sponsored

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
Since some of us are going to 2nd year of ownership. Do we see any degradation yet? My tesla model 3 is not very lucky with that after 3 years and have about 15% degraded.
ASIDE: Re: Tesla Model 3 degradation
Here is my kid's 2018 TM3 (blue) and similar TM3s averages for the TeslaFI-COM 3rd party tool for comparison which is all pretty close to 10% it seems.

Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? atEiLxt

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Here's to Rivian remaining solvent. I'm vested, both in a truck and RIVN stock. Warranty:

• Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
This thread might be mostly derailed but this seems like the crux of the issue. We've all been sold vehicles with very generous mileage/degradation warranty, but at least so far there is no obvious way (and I would argue a lot of ambiguity) to measure actual degradation.

I thought about this when a recent OTA update unlocked a bit more usable capacity. For sake of argument if my battery had not degraded at all up until that point, is my degradation now negative?

Has Rivian announced any mechanism or test for measuring degradation? My iPhone has a % SOH (State of Health) figure I can check on in the Settings. I remember Nissan Leaf showed SOH in 12 bars on the dash board.

Hopefully this issue is not anything we need to worry about for many years but I am curious how we'll be able to measure this in an easy, consistent, fair way.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
yeap. have 85k miles in 3 and a half years and currently at 15% degradation
I think there's something wrong with your model 3, that's way outside normal degradation. There's a battery health test you can do from the touchscreen service menu I think.

My 2015 Model S (still in the family) has only about 5-7% degradation after eight years. I did some routine charging to 90%, but later reduced to 78% for "daily" charging and left it there for years, unless I needed the extra range for some reason. typically I'd charge to 78%, then plug it in when it got down to less than 40%. For my driving, that meant about 2-3 times/week.

About 9-10% of total miles were on superchargers (DCFC) but I don't think I charged to 100% more than 5 times( at the most) and never let it sit at 100% for more than a few minutes.

Drained it to 6% a handful of times, and once to 3% but never let it sit completely discharged.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think there's something wrong with your model 3, that's way outside normal degradation. There's a battery health test you can do from the touchscreen service menu I think.

My 2015 Model S (still in the family) has only about 5-7% degradation after eight years. I did some routine charging to 90%, but later reduced to 78% for "daily" charging and left it there for years, unless I needed the extra range for some reason. typically I'd charge to 78%, then plug it in when it got down to less than 40%. For my driving, that meant about 2-3 times/week.

About 9-10% of total miles were on superchargers (DCFC) but I don't think I charged to 100% more than 5 times( at the most) and never let it sit at 100% for more than a few minutes.

Drained it to 6% a handful of times, and once to 3% but never let it sit completely discharged.
I told tesla that. They tested it at 15 percent degraded. They will not do anything though

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I told tesla that. They tested it at 15 percent degraded. They will not do anything though
Wow. That's still not bad enough to trigger a warranty replacement, and it seems that the degradation curves flattens out pretty quickly, but I'd be super unhappy if I were you.

If there is something wrong with your battery, hopefully it will worsen and you'll get a warranty replacement. Otherwise it might be a good candidate to trade in.

There's enough data out there now to show that your car is an outlier. I expect that the LiFePo cars will do even better, although they start out with less range from new

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I recently chatted rivian about this, on the chat they told me they didn't know, but I got a call back today and apparently they can check it remotely. They let me know my HV battery is at 100% health, my 12v are at 90% and 91%. I took delivery in July and have about 18k miles. If it is truly 100% that is pretty sweet. Tough to know how to interpret it with how little community data we have though.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Wow I have 4% degradation after only almost 7k miles I have DCFC less than 10 times and charge at home to 70%

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
let bump this thread since some of us may already have their vehicles for 2 years now. Any sign of degradation yet ?

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Wow I have 4% degradation after only almost 7k miles I have DCFC less than 10 times and charge at home to 70%
Did Rivian test it remotely and confirm?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

let bump this thread since some of us may already have their vehicles for 2 years now. Any sign of degradation yet ?
Guessometer doesn't tell you actual kWh battery capacity, so we don't know on our side without getting into the system and reading data. Only Rivian can do that right now. Right?
Sponsored