Sponsored

Any advice on using the Rivian Air Compressor to inflate an iSUP?

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
I wonder if anybody converted the air compressor to inflate an inflatable Standup Paddle-board and can share their experience, i.e. how they attached the Halkey-Roberts valve on the iSUP to the air compressor's hose?

Right now i am using a 12V electric pump, but would like to switch to using the air compressor.

Rivian R1T R1S Any advice on using the Rivian Air Compressor to inflate an iSUP? 20230112_151829
Sponsored

cashen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Giulia '15 4Runner '13 Acura MDX '72 Chevy K20
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There are a number of Halkey Roberts to Schrader adapters on Amazon with mixed reviews. I'm imagine that it will be very slow however. My 12V iSUP pump starts with high volume, low pressure and then kicks into high pressure to finish, the Rivian compressor won't have much volume capability.

The adapters are cheap enough so I'll probably try one anyway. Halkey Roberts to Schrader Adapter

Outdoorsyish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Subaru Ascent
I was wondering something similar. Red paddle co makes a Schroeder valve adapter that may work. I’ve never tried it with the air compressor, but it works well enough to adjust pressure with a bike pump for fine tuning. It could be what you’re looking for. My paddle boards are all boxed up for winter but I can test it out in a few months.

Even if it works, though, with the volume of air required for the SUP I wonder if an electric SUP pump that can switch between hi volume / low pressure and low volume / high pressure may still be preferred or at least faster?

Rivian R1T R1S Any advice on using the Rivian Air Compressor to inflate an iSUP? 1673737973500

Good luck!

EDIT: Missed the above reply while posting my response, looks like cashen and I had similar thoughts.

OP
OP

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
This guy also says that the air compressor is slow but he initally said it in 2020 (2-years ago) -- so i dont know if the Rivian Air Compressor is any better.

https://isupworld.com/top-3-electric-pumps/

So @cashen, the configuration would look like this: Rivian hose with Schrader adapter connected to another Schrader to Halkey Roberts adapter that then goes to my iSUP?
Do i need to worry about male/female on the Shradder side?

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Rivian on board compressor is made for high pressure not for volume. It will take a while to fill up any inflatable. 1 idea would be to get a cheap 12v blower to get the bulk then you can finish with the on board compressor.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
As others have said, it's more of a high pressure capable inflator seemingly intended for tires, not an "inflatable inflator" or general purpose compressor. It has no storage tank. People who have tried to use it as a compressed air blower have been very disappointed.

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy used the onboard inflator to inflate the factory spare tire on an R1S. As I recall, it took around 5-6 minutes just to inflate the spare. Taking a WAG at the volume difference between the spare and an inflatable board, it seems to me you would be looking at 20 - 40+ minutes?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have such a paddle board adapter. I haven’t used my R1T air compressor to inflate but I have used a smaller Dewalt air compressor.

As others have said it will be very slow but one option is to use the hand pump to fill the bulk of the air but when it starts to get near full and difficult with a hand pump use the Rivian compressor to get that last 5-10 psi. That has been my strategy in the past.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We used the Rivian compressor to inflate our kayak and it definitely took a while. I'm considering building an adapter to make it easier for the next time instead of having to hold things in place with a makeshift seal. Kayak only needs 1 psi so the Rivian compressor is definitely not optimal.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

It has no storage tank.
This comment gives me an idea, maybe not practical for all situations but still kinda cool. this is my nerd side coming out so bear with me.

Get an auxiliary air tank. You can fill in while doing other things. You could fill a 5 gallon air tank up to its max and then when you want to fill your inflatable it’s air ready to use.

again, maybe not practical but maybe it works for what you need. If you get a 5 gal tank and put it at 100psi then you can fill an inflatable that takes 10 times that volume and fill it to 10 psi in moments.

harbor freight has 5 gal for $33 and 11 gal for $60.

Okay, that’s all I got.

OP
OP

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T

Sponsored

Sportute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Limestone, C63S, Expedition Platinum
Use Boyle’s law to calculate.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/boyles-law

p1v1=p2v2
From the SUP site, largest one is around 350L in volume.

If you get a 100 PSI 5 gal compressor, it will fill it theoretically to 5.5 PSI, but this is assuming full transfer and not equilibrium.

You’ll need the 11 gal to get close to 11 PSI.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
How do you like the All Star? Almost got that one but ended up with the Red Paddle Elite. Something to keep in mind (assuming the All Star is similar) this type of iSUP takes a higher psi. My Red is 16-22psi

OP
OP

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
How do you like the All Star? Almost got that one but ended up with the Red Paddle Elite. Something to keep in mind (assuming the All Star is similar) this type of iSUP takes a higher psi. My Red is 16-22psi
Had it for 13 months now and love it. I'm inflating it to 18 psi with the iRocker pump and it has been a dependable setup.
https://irockersup.com/collections/sup-pumps/products/ir-epump-20#

Evaluated Red Paddle Elite but the stiffening rod was not something that these reviewers were fond of: https://supboardermag.com/
Paid subscription to see the reviews tho.

LLJJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Tahoe ltz, Bmw m3, 2 gem lsv’s
Occupation
Real estate
I tried to use it to inflate my sup with the adapter but it would have taken about the same time as a hand pump I think. I was getting concerned about running the compressor so long. It actually shut off a few times during the process. 12v purpose built inflator was much easier. Plus getting air hose to fit back in the rivian gear tunnel door is a pain.

OP
OP

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
I tried to use it to inflate my sup with the adapter but it would have taken about the same time as a hand pump I think. I was getting concerned about running the compressor so long. It actually shut off a few times during the process. 12v purpose built inflator was much easier. Plus getting air hose to fit back in the rivian gear tunnel door is a pain.
sounds like you have found an adapter for the Halkey Roberts valve fitting on the iSUP--can you share what you bought exactly?

i realize it is going to be slow to use the compressor, but it would be helpful to have it as a fallback option
Sponsored