Sponsored

Any “F150 Lightning-equivalent” SUVs on the horizon?

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I’ve been a preorder holder for 2.25 years now, and am totally sold on the R1S. But the F150 Lightning announcement got me thinking: if Ford made a 3-row SUV priced/equipped comparably to the electric F-150, could I justify the price premium of an R1S? It’d be hard decision.

Not aware of any decent 3-row all electric SUVs coming out in the next year (I do not like the Model X and will not buy one) but are there any on the horizon that give my fellow R1S reservation holders pause about completing their purchase?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
absolutely nothing

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

I’ve been a preorder holder for 2.25 years now, and am totally sold on the R1S. But the F150 Lightning announcement got me thinking: if Ford made a 3-row SUV priced/equipped comparably to the electric F-150, could I justify the price premium of an R1S? It’d be hard decision.

Not aware of any decent 3-row all electric SUVs coming out in the next year (I do not like the Model X and will not buy one) but are there any on the horizon that give my fellow R1S reservation holders pause about completing their purchase?
I was wondering the same thing about the F-150 in a forum a few days back. Back when they released the original lightning, the considered releasing an expedition equivalent called Expedition Thunder. Never produced, but it would seem to be a wise move on the part of Ford to make an EV Expedition offering.

I have researched extensively for upcoming 3 row “true” SUVs, and there is nothing I have found on the horizon. Canoo seems to be moving towards a more SUV like set up in their lifestyle vehicle, as it will have a higher ground clearance and awd available, but with the current interior arrangement, it’s not going to be workable for families with younger kids and I still wouldn’t take it off-roading or consider it a SUV.

This seems to be a niche that Rivian can take advantage of, despite all the attention going to the R1T. I wish that weren’t the case though, I think that a few options/price points would be a good thing in the true 3 row SUV market.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Solidly R1S, but I'd love to see a Lightning equivalent in an Expedition EV.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Anybody swayed to go with the Ford Lighting based on their price?

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
Work truck F150 is on order. But an expidition would be more expensive than a R1S and therefore not a good option. We ordered the R1S because it's different and cool, not because it's electric. So an electric expidition would still be an expidition, and not at all appealing especially in the $80,000 range. My family is exactly the type of people that electric cars need to appeal to, and Rivian has done that.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I assume Ford will eventually build an electric three row SUV but by the time they do, I am not sure you would actually be paying a price premium for the Rivian R1S. A loaded dual motor F150 lightning with 300 mile range comes to $90k; essentially identical to a loaded quad motor R1T with 400 mile range.
This is somewhat misleading statement. That $90k price is not well substantiated from Ford rather it's blogger speculation. Just like there's speculation the 'Platinum' trim will start in the $70k range putting it equivalent with R1S pricing (without extra-large pak). One can debate what features or options on a Platty needed to equal the glitz of a R1S. But that misses the point that F-150 Lightning provides lower priced trims were Rivian does not. If Ford did an EV Expedition 'Thunder' there would be similar trim levels. Therefore most certainly trims available in the $50-60k range making them meaningfully less expensive. Yes with a trade-off of plushness and lots of great R1S design tech.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Yes with a trade-off of plushness and lots of great R1S design tech.
In addition to plushness and design there are the 4 motors and height-adjustable suspension standard in the Rivian and currently unavailable in the Ford platform. I could live without the 4 motors, but the fixed-height suspension on the Ford is a deal-breaker for me.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Again, not and never saying that Ford product "equates" to Rivian in terms of design, tech, features, capabilities etc. The whole point was about pricing. There is NO ARGUMENT that if Ford produces an BEV version of Explorer or Expedition with entry/mid trim-levels in the $50k-$60k range then it will undercut the lowest PRICING available on a Rivian.

For what its worth, I think many unfamiliar with latest F-150 tech may be under-valuing things it offers that Rivian does not - or at least hasn't bother telling anyone about yet. Things like ProTrailer Backup Assist, ProTrailer Hitch Assist, built-in load sensing on hitch using LED taillights as incremental load indicator, BlueCruise (full hands-off). In no way am I trying to claim that Ford "out-techs" Rivian. Only that current F-150 trucks are more than rugged haulers of trailers and sand bags.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

$90,474 is listed on the Ford F150 Lighting site so yes 90k is very well substantiated.
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/?gnav=header-electrified-vhp
You are correct on the $90k price claim. I was in error.

Have noticed lately that some Riviots are starting to sound like Tesla-maniacs and refuse to believe anything could challenge the awesomeness of a Rivian product. I personally hope that is absolutely true! But all of this enthusiasm is like 75% based on a kind of faith that a Rivian will be what we all want a Rivian to be.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Frankly, this discussion like 99% of all threads in this forum is just fodder or fill-in-the-blank time while we all wait for "Wizard behind the curtain" RJ to authorize another drip-drip of news about most anything Rivian related.

Almost seems like Rivian is oblivious to the harm happening in the hardcore enthusiasts community due to the news blackout of the past couple of weeks. Doubly damaging to go radio-silent throughout the very month of May that Rivian teed-up as "the month of communications" ahead of initial deliveries next month.

This leaves us talking about everything else EV related outside of Tesla, Audi, Hyundai etc.

Ford has wiped the floor with Rivian publicity-wise this week of that there can be no doubt. That's a real shame given how Rivian is (was?) ideally situated to turn the month of May into a hay-day of publicity. They should have been ready with a wave of professional announcements at least weekly in May. I'm not talking about posting a new website page with bios on personnel or how they intend to save the planet. I'm talking about the meat-n-potatoes data that Ford poured out this week a GOD-DAMN YEAR AHEAD of planned initial deliveries. Just imagine how much more info will be forthcoming on the Lightning in the coming months. ..... Rivian really screwed the pooch! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

No argument that the F150 Lightning and Rivian R1T seem to be pretty clearly targeted to different customer bases (with some inevitable overlap). I should also state that I think it is very difficult to overstate how important a step making the best selling vehicle in the US for the last several decades available as an EV is.

At the same time, I am not really sure why there is so much discussion about the Lightning in the R1S section of this forum. Is there anyone here that is really torn between either the Lightning or the R1S? It seems to me that if you are in the market for an SUV, you are in the market for an SUV and if you are in the market for a pickup you are in the market for a pickup.
OP isn’t asking for or providing a comparison between R1S and the Lightning, he is asking if Ford will produce an SUV version of the Lightning or if there are other 3 row equivalents to the R1S.
Sponsored