Sponsored

Another Solar Question

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
If I wanted to put a solar panel over the bed, I’d there a way to connect the inverter to charge the battery without using the charge port? Basically curious if you could make that system work without having to manually plug / unplug every time you go for a drive.
Sponsored

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

The amount of solar power you'll receive from a bed mounted panel would be negligible for charging the truck. You would need a huge array of panels to charge the truck any significant amount. To learn more check out Will Prowse's solar power channel on YouTube. He has multiple episodes on how he charges his Tesla from a large panel array.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'd be shocked if you could do that without throwing all kinds of errors in the car, and equally shocked if the car will let you drive while receiving current to the inverter. And there's no scenario in which the gains would practically offset the added weight, cost, and complexity of panels.

There just isn't a realistic scenario for solar charging an EV today beyond extremely far-flung hypotheticals. Save your money ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If I wanted to put a solar panel over the bed, I’d there a way to connect the inverter to charge the battery without using the charge port?
Yes there is but it isn't available to you. Your inverter would require an interface to the BMI. If the BMI says the battery can accept charge it commands the inverter to pump current into the battery. This is what happens in Powerwalls and similar systems.

Basically curious if you could make that system work without having to manually plug / unplug every time you go for a drive.
Practically speaking, no.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Totally not worth it.
If you have a solar array however, you can get a Zappi v2 charger that has an option to only charge from a solar array.
Sponsored