Sponsored

Another Ford Electric Pickup Truck

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I was just watching the F-150 Lightning Launch video and something caught my attention. Jim Farley mentioned they are going to starting building another electric pickup truck (different than the Lightning) at their Tennessee factory.

Maybe a Ranger/Maverick equivalent?

35:55 in the video below

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Based on how popular the Maverick has been, they would be crazy NOT to do it. I bet it's an EV Ranger. Mostly because the Ranger is due for an update and also they can just leave the Maverick as their value truck. People might pay $60k for an EV Ranger, but probably not for a Maverick.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Not to hijack but...speaking of new EVs...I'm in one of those corporate consumer panels for Land Rover. Today the question posed to the panel ...

Today we are kicking off a new project, where our aim is to develop an information source which will help to communicate with customers around electric vehicles. This tool, details of which will become available in the coming weeks, will be integral to Jaguar Land Rover’s push towards a more electrified future – and we want to give you the opportunity to have your say on how it should evolve.

As a first step, in this activity we want to understand what your thoughts are around electric vehicles at present, to understand the challenges our brands may face in moving towards electrification.

Yes, please...

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

"We don't take your trust lightly."

That's something we didn't hear out of RJ until after March 1st (Never Forget 🎗)

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Based on how popular the Maverick has been, they would be crazy NOT to do it. I bet it's an EV Ranger. Mostly because the Ranger is due for an update and also they can just leave the Maverick as their value truck. People might pay $60k for an EV Ranger, but probably not for a Maverick.
Maverick is my guess as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they designed it to be easily transitioned to an EV. Ranger isn't as big of a seller as Maverick and F150 I believe, but that will probably come eventually too.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Ford teased another EV truck not long after the original Lightning reveal including a silhouette that certainly looked to be Maverick-esque. That direction certainly makes sense. However the Ranger is an old global platform so I won’t be shocked by a next-gen Ranger EV.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Ford could "EV" just about any of its most popular products and GM/RAM would be in real trouble. I'd have no problem buying a "Mach-E crate motor" shoehorned into an Explorer … 500hp+ AWD, 300+ range … some want the "purity" of an EV built from the ground up, but having owned Teslas for 7+ years, pfft, the performance, range, operating costs and cost of energy are what's important now …

The imperative today is getting away from burning oil. The "pure" EVs can arrive in 2025 thru 2030 …

Selling a Maverick EV and a Ranger EV today replaces 40 mpg and 20 mpg pickups – and working pickups cover huge miles per year, so that's a lot of tailpipe emissions – with 100 mpge pickups that fill up for $20 instead of $60 … that's what's important today.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I would guess that whatever Ford is up to, it would include pickup and SUV variants, similar to Rivian. Might be Ranger/Explorer, or Maverick/Escape.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The Explorer EV version of the MME platform is already in the development pipeline but delayed due to all the supply constraints.

Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
They should electrify the bronco. The new one is really popular and before I got rid of mine it was an awesome rig that would be even better being electric

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They should electrify the bronco. The new one is really popular and before I got rid of mine it was an awesome rig that would be even better being electric
It's a shame they didn't launch with at least a PHEV option. Had that been offered, I'd have been a 0-day reservation holder, for sure.

I saw one over the weekend (Cactus Grey, top off) and my first thought was "gosh, I wish it wasn't ICE-only".

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
It's a shame they didn't launch with at least a PHEV option. Had that been offered, I'd have been a 0-day reservation holder, for sure.

I saw one over the weekend (Cactus Grey, top off) and my first thought was "gosh, I wish it wasn't ICE-only".
It seems PHEV trucks are really needed over the next decade until battery technology and charging advances and allows for true long distance towing with an EV. A PHEV truck with 40 miles of range would be prefect for around town electric driving, but having the ICE for long distance towing. People who don't tow long distances can buy the pure EV variants.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Have thought this on a handful of vehicles, hopefully this sentiment becomes ubiquitous.
Honestly, I think it's insane that auto manufacturers are releasing NEW designs that aren't at least PHEV. There should not be ANY *new* models or major designs released, at this point, that aren't at least hybrid.

Kia also screwed up with the Telluride, imo. Nice vehicle for what it is.... But no hybrid? WTF.
Sponsored