Sponsored

Another 3rd Row Question

greatdane1588

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Model 3, CX-9
Sorry if this was asked in another thread and I'm just not finding it... hoping to confirm something after the retraction of the price increase...

I get that they said they would honor previous configurations and prices prior to March 3rd, but with them getting rid of the 5 seat option entirely for new reservations... are we forced to get the 3rd row seats no matter if you had an existing reservation or not?
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

RDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
I believe it is 7 seater only.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Yes. All R1S will be 7 seater, pre and post price increase.

OP
OP
greatdane1588

greatdane1588

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea probs not gonna make a 5 seater for the exactly three people that don't want 3rd row here in America.
I'm one of the three I guess haha. Would prefer the extra cargo space personally. Oh well.

Sponsored

Narya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, Kia Sorento, Tesla Model 3 LR
Just FYI - with the 5 seater config, you would have gained an extra 3 inches of vertical space, and about 4.5 cubic feet of space. I also ordered a 5 seater (wonder who the third person is....), but I can live with the change.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Sorry if this was asked in another thread and I'm just not finding it... hoping to confirm something after the retraction of the price increase...

I get that they said they would honor previous configurations and prices prior to March 3rd, but with them getting rid of the 5 seat option entirely for new reservations... are we forced to get the 3rd row seats no matter if you had an existing reservation or not?
yes.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Just FYI - with the 5 seater config, you would have gained an extra 3 inches of vertical space, and about 4.5 cubic feet of space. I also ordered a 5 seater (wonder who the third person is....), but I can live with the change.
Me! Just kidding. I need a third row of real seats or I probably would have jumped ship (still might if my delivery is further delayed into 2024 or beyond).

GR

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Do we only have 2 so far? I guess that means I'm the third person! DINKs with 1 dog. No need for a 3rd row. Dog can ride in 2nd row or in the back, depending on whether we have people riding with us. Never need to haul more than 4 people, honestly. But, at the end of the day, I'm not upset about them dropping the 5-seat option, even if I would have preferred it.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Fake news. So far we got four. Our moms always told us we were special. Now we know why.

I definitely could use the extra hight for fitting stuff in and car camping without bumping my head but my understanding is that 5 seater floor was wider inside too (I think due to armrest for 3rd row).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Fake news. So far we got four. Our moms always told us we were special. Now we know why.

I definitely could use the extra hight for fitting stuff in and car camping without bumping my head but my understanding is that 5 seater floor was wider inside too (I think due to armrest for 3rd row).
I think everyone knew the three was an estimate. The vast majority of the 25k plus reservations for the R1S want to use the third row at some point. Those that don’t can just fold them down, if space was so crucial but a minivan which is much more space efficient. Or wait for the R2 in 2024, not much later than most of us will get the R1S.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I think everyone knew the three was an estimate. The vast majority of the 25k plus reservations for the R1S want to use the third row at some point. Those that don’t can just fold them down, if space was so crucial but a minivan which is much more space efficient. Or wait for the R2 in 2024, not much later than most of us will get the R1S.
Not a huge deal for me. Just not a big fan of wasted space. If I can figure out a clean way to remove the third row, I will. For now there is no minivan that can do what R1S does. Although Amazon vans do look like car camping heaven. The photo of RJ’s R1S interior looked very specious. I wonder if they had some small tweaks for a final version of 7 seater. Can’t wait for a forum member to share interior dimensions.

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

I'm one of the three I guess haha. Would prefer the extra cargo space personally. Oh well.
I'm also one of the three. No dog. No kids. But often plenty of gear.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Lack of demand for the 5 seat configuration can be blamed primarily on the lack of price difference between the 5 and 7 seat configurations. It never made sense that Rivian didn't charge extra for the third row when most manufacturers do. They even tried to downplay the amount of extra cargo space that was provided by the 5 seat configuration. Ultimately, the 5 seat configuration only made sense back when they were planning on using the third row space for the max pack, and in light of that being cancelled there was no longer a need to keep that space open.

Most people will be perfectly happy keeping the third row seats folded and unused. It's what I do currently on my Model X, and when I put them up it's usually to keep small cargo secure behind them rather than to seat anyone.

OP
OP
greatdane1588

greatdane1588

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lack of demand for the 5 seat configuration can be blamed primarily on the lack of price difference between the 5 and 7 seat configurations. It never made sense that Rivian didn't charge extra for the third row when most manufacturers do. They even tried to downplay the amount of extra cargo space that was provided by the 5 seat configuration. Ultimately, the 5 seat configuration only made sense back when they were planning on using the third row space for the max pack, and in light of that being cancelled there was no longer a need to keep that space open.

Most people will be perfectly happy keeping the third row seats folded and unused. It's what I do currently on my Model X, and when I put them up it's usually to keep small cargo secure behind them rather than to seat anyone.
Agreed, it's not a huge deal. The 3rd row in our current SUV is always folded and never gets used (even with kids) which is why we were going to opt for the 5 seater in favor a little more space.

Good call out on the max pack cancellation though, makes sense why they would go to 7 seats only now.
Sponsored