RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Fist time towing this weekend.
There are some considerable annoyances I discovered when hooking up in the dark:
- zero light in the back to see what you are doing. Wish there was a way to toggle on demand the reverse lights on for visibility
- when backing in to trailer hitch minor adjustments- an inch or two overshoot your target
- 7 pin connector doesn't click solid in place despite the cap's notch latching into connector. Just feels too loose though it's connected and all trailer lights work
- loading into the bed- how do you listen to music? My windows were down, radio on, tried doors closed and open but volume is way down since your butt isn't in the seat. And then truck goes to sleep after few minutes shutting stuff down...don't tell me use the Bluetooth speaker ..

On to the impressive:
- Butters tows like a dream! Not only power, but the regen doesn't upset the trailer at all. Well integrated.
- only a 4500lbs open trailer on back 55mph country roads and I got very good 1.77 on average
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Why don’t you use the flashlight that is in the door for light? Or the camp speaker has a lantern on it as well.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The camp speaker stands by itself and has a lantern

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
"No rear lighting" - The vast majority of vehicles have little or no built in lighting to adequately illuminate the trailer hitch.

"Minor adjustments overshoot your target" - not sure what you expect? That's every vehicle I've ever used for trailering. Wheelbase does affect this a little - are you used to a short wheel base tow vehicle?

"7 pin connector doesn't click" - Rivian did not design the trailer plug. That's a decades old industry standard design. I've never had a trailer plug/socket provide a locking click, other than the spring loaded cap.

"Can't hear music while loading" - :rolleyes:

These are all 1st world problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
"No rear lighting" - The vast majority of vehicles have little or no built in lighting to adequately illuminate the trailer hitch.

"Minor adjustments overshoot your target" - not sure what you expect? That's every vehicle I've ever used for trailering. Wheelbase does affect this a little - are you used to a short wheel base tow vehicle?

"7 pin connector doesn't click" - Rivian did not design the trailer plug. That's a decades old industry standard design. I've never had a trailer plug/socket provide a locking click, other than the spring loaded cap.

"Can't hear music while loading" - :rolleyes:

Yep first world problems at 1st world price point. Had none of it with a regular gas truck. Rivian is great and not perfect. It is ok to admit that....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

-Hold the flashlight in your mouth.

-Hold the brake pedal down lightly to get a little finer low speed control. This will also stop the truck from entering auto-park if you open the door or lift yourself off the seat to look backwards.

-Make your own clicking noise! (I've never known the 7-pin connectors to click into place?)

-Make your own music. Hum while you work. Maybe practice your throat singing. The world is your oyster!

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Yep...I've had all of the above issues with other vehicles. My solution:

Have my wife guide me back to the trailer, hold the light, adjust the radio volume, provide any "clicking" sounds as required and generally critique the entire procedure when complete. 😏

Just kidding - my wife's the bomb and invaluable when I do stuff like this - always helps to have the extra eyes and hands...besides, somebody's gotta retrieve the tools you forgot to grab! Good luck and congrats on getting your truck!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If not doing something because "the vast majority of vehicles" was a valid excuse, we wouldn't have EVs and especially not Rivian.

The fact is that the lights are already physically present in the rear of the vehicle, and all that's missing is a little software toggle to use them. They already come on and stay on for 30-60 seconds when you lock the vehicle. It shouldn't be hard to allow them to be toggled on when working behind the vehicle. We got camp spotlights in the mirror... Why not add a button for the rear?

So? That doesn't mean they can't be discussed and shouldn't be improved upon.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
what about activating the bed lights? that's what i do when i have been in that situation
Sponsored