Ambidexterity and Rivian: Amazon & VIA Motors - EV Tech for Commercial Trucking

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I just came across Via Motors, and it opened up a whole new world (for me) of what the electrification of trucking means and how Rivian may or may not fit into the picture. (There's a lot of discussion on Via's website about BEV and PHEV systems and sub-systems.) Via's customers have driven 5 million miles using its technologies.
https://www.viamotors.com/

May or may not because Via Motors' mission is commercial trucking and, so far, Rivian's focus has been on moving people, not packages, except for Amazon's investment and order of 100,000 BEV vans by decade's end. But we know Rivian is making major adjustments to its Normal plant's operational layout and production plans to accommodate the Amazon investment and order.

It's a good thing for Rivian to be an ambidextrous company making vehicles for carrying passengers and packages. Some Rivian's strategy and branding will have to be adapted, but that's normal, especially for a startup. In general, what startups wind up doing is not what they set out to do.

The important point is the more BEV vehicles, the better, and serving both passenger and package transportation markets would be a great good thing for Rivian. The transportation world, and not just N. American "adventurers", becomes the market. At least, that's how I see it. How about other forum folks?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Electrifying commercial vehicles is probably more impactful to the environment than consumer vehicles, so it's good from that stand point. The Amazon order allows Rivian to make major battery commitments early on. That will increase their scale and thus lower their battery costs. So, it's all good.