First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
I saw this evening what is going to be the charger for the new Rivian Delivery vans at an Amazon delivery station. I am no expert when it comes to the different options to charge an EV, nor I own or have owned an EV. My LG R1T will be my first EV. So having said all that, what do you expert fellow Rivian future owners think about this charger? Is is better, worse, more or less powerful than the Rivian charger? After a quick Google search I think this it's a Siemens VersiCharge commercial unit.
Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Rivian Delivery Van Charger IMG_5137.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Rivian Delivery Van Charger IMG_5139.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Rivian Delivery Van Charger IMG_5140.JPG
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
According to your 3rd picture, that charger maxes out at 40 amp.

That is faster than the charger that comes with the R1T/R1S (32A), but slower than the optional $500 hardwired charger that Rivian sells (48A).

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
I saw this evening what is going to be the charger for the new Rivian Delivery vans at an Amazon delivery station. I am no expert when it comes to the different options to charge an EV, nor I own or have owned an EV. My LG R1T will be my first EV. So having said all that, what do you expert fellow Rivian future owners think about this charger? Is is better, worse, more or less powerful than the Rivian charger? After a quick Google search I think this it's a Siemens VersiCharge commercial unit.
IMG_5137.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG
Nothing terribly special, they're most likely planning to have a charger for each truck and leave them plugged in overnight. Siemens also sells a home version

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hey! My two cents: combine youtube reviews (search Tom Mulvaney (sp)? and charger) with what your utility gives an incentive on.

I think my utitlity will sell a chargepoint L2 for like 250, and then if I charge between 11 and 7 they will give me a very good rate. They only way they do that is if you use a charger they are aligned with. YMMV.

Adelange has good info on this stuff.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That's a J1772 plug good for up to 80A if installed on a 100A circuit. You would only be able to charge your R1T or Tesla up to 48A with it but if the van has an 80A charger this EVSE will feed it.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That's a J1772 plug good for up to 80A if installed on a 100A circuit. You would only be able to charge your R1T or Tesla up to 48A with it but if the van has an 80A charger this EVSE will feed it.
This particular plug is only rated for 40A
Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Rivian Delivery Van Charger 1633727338565

The J1772 standard allows for up to 80A, but this unit maxes at 40A

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Indeed it is! Should have checked the fine print.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Of course this makes us wonder why they would change their working vans at 40A when they could just as easily install the 48 A unit being offered to R1T buyers. It certainly does look more industrial.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Of course this makes us wonder why they would change their working vans at 40A when they could just as easily install the 48 A unit being offered to R1T buyers. It certainly does look more industrial.
Any loss of efficiency at the higher amps? Lose more to heating perhaps? If 40A can do the job and saves you 1% then why go to 48? 1% may not be a lot for a single vehicle, but with a fleet it could add up.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Possibly. I was thinking mostly about time. I assume that they want these vans out on the street - not sitting in the warehouse charging. 40/48 is only 20% faster but I thought it might be significant in Amazon's ops. Guess it isn't.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Any loss of efficiency at the higher amps? Lose more to heating perhaps? If 40A can do the job and saves you 1% then why go to 48? 1% may not be a lot for a single vehicle, but with a fleet it could add up.
Any difference between 40 and 48 efficiency will be insignificant.
Only study I've seen comparing efficiency shows L2 is very slightly more efficient than L1.

The Amazon Vans have smaller battery packs than the R1 vehicles and virtually will be parked overnight. As long as they have a full charge in the AM, charging speed is a non-issue. Reduced cost of the chargers and the EVSEs might be a driving factor, as well as being able to charge 20% more vehicles from a given service size. Demand charges could also be lower at slower charge rates. I'm sure they modeled all of this before arriving at the 40A (or maybe less) charge rate.

Edit: We don't actually know what the Vans are capable of, only that the EVSE shown for this use case is a 40A max unit. The Vans could be fitted with 80A chargers.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

So if these vans have V2V charging enabled....any chance we see Amazon spin up a side gig with some of these vans going roadside assistance type recharging when they aren't on delivery runs?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So if these vans have V2V charging enabled....any chance we see Amazon spin up a side gig with some of these vans going roadside assistance type recharging when they aren't on delivery runs?
hugely unlikely

OP
OP
AleCS

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
Any difference between 40 and 48 efficiency will be insignificant.
Only study I've seen comparing efficiency shows L2 is very slightly more efficient than L1.

The Amazon Vans have smaller battery packs than the R1 vehicles and virtually will be parked overnight. As long as they have a full charge in the AM, charging speed is a non-issue. Reduced cost of the chargers and the EVSEs might be a driving factor, as well as being able to charge 20% more vehicles from a given service size. Demand charges could also be lower at slower charge rates. I'm sure they modeled all of this before arriving at the 40A (or maybe less) charge rate.

Edit: We don't actually know what the Vans are capable of, only that the EVSE shown for this use case is a 40A max unit. The Vans could be fitted with 80A chargers.
We should get those vans in the next month or so. So I will share some details and photos when they arrive. At this point they are being very secretive, but for sure I will get a couple of them this year. Stay tuned!
Sponsored