Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
Up and running in LA. 10,000 more by 2022:
https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/tr...elivery-vehicles-are-starting-to-hit-the-road

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicles are starting to hit the road

There's a new vehicle delivering smiles to customers, and it's electric.

Amazon customer deliveries will look a little different in parts of Los Angeles. Just one year after announcing the purchase of 100,000 custom electric delivery vehicles as part of The Climate Pledge, Amazon has begun testing the new vans on delivery routes.

More customers will see the custom electric delivery vehicles cruising neighborhoods in up to 15 additional cities in 2021, ahead of tens of thousands of vehicles hitting the road over the next few years.

"We're loving the enthusiasm from customers so far—from the photos we see online to the car fans who stop our drivers for a first-hand look at the vehicle," said Ross Rachey, Director of Amazon's Global Fleet and Products. "From what we've seen, this is one of the fastest modern commercial electrification programs, and we're incredibly proud of that."

Amazon partnered with Rivian, leveraging its customizable skateboard platform to create a first-of-its-kind all-electric delivery vehicle. "Rivian's purpose is to deliver products that the world didn't already have, to redefine expectations through the application of technology and innovation," said RJ Scaringe, Rivian Founder and CEO. "This milestone is one example of how Rivian and Amazon are working toward the world of 2040, and we hope it inspires other companies to fundamentally change the way that they operate."

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans b2b1813c89%2Felectricvehicle-hollywood-9777-edited

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle, designed and built in partnership with Rivian, hitting the road in Los Angeles.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans om%2F97%2Fce%2F5a0b960149f683211377751f43d8%2F0017

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle at an Amazon delivery station in Los Angeles, charging up for its next delivery route.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans om%2F1f%2F49%2Fa3850a084e678ca93a4986dac0ed%2F0040

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle cruising through Los Angeles.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans m%2F8b%2F1e%2F296dec7c474fbaf4d2f3f4ab8b99%2F0004a

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle delivering smiles to customers in Los Angeles.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans om%2F3b%2Fe1%2F5c118a454aaeb1d7f9c12ca435f1%2F0039

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle testing delivery routes in Los Angeles.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans om%2F07%2F4a%2Fdcb5351f463e9e0b9729ff86e435%2F0012

Amazon's custom electric delivery vehicle at an Amazon delivery station in Los Angeles, getting ready to deliver smiles to customers.

Amazon and Rivian began testing vehicles four months prior to making customer deliveries, as part of the testing and development process. Amazon is working with Rivian to conduct additional testing of the vehicle’s performance, safety durability in various climates and geographies, as engineers continue to refine the vehicles for the start of production slated for the end of this year. The current fleet of vehicles was built at Rivian's studio in Plymouth, Michigan, and can drive up to 150 miles on a single charge.

Amazon has also started getting its buildings ready to accommodate the new fleet of vehicles and has installed thousands of electric vehicle charging stations at its delivery stations across North America and Europe.

In support of The Climate Pledge, Amazon is committed to achieving net-zero carbon across its operations by 2040, a decade ahead of the Paris Agreement. To achieve this goal, Amazon is transforming its transportation network. Along with custom electric delivery vehicles, Amazon is exploring new technologies, alternative fuels, and delivery methods that deliver packages to customers in a more sustainable way. Amazon currently operates thousands of electric vehicles worldwide and is redesigning its delivery stations to service electric vehicles—ranging from the electrical design to the physical layout. Last year, Amazon delivered more than 20 million packages to customers in electric delivery vehicles across North America and Europe and will continue building on that momentum in 2021.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dr. Byrd

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
These are probably behind closed gates, but how great would it be if Rivian owners could use these? They will be everywhere!
That's actually a fascinating possibility - delivery vans and the gig economy in general might be the one use case where you need fast charging in and around cities and towns (vs. on highways). Curious to see how the charging infrastructure players respond to that need ...

Sponsored

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
If the average van only needs to be charged at night then this could open up spots all over to charge during the day. We have an Amazon delivery hub 10 mins from my house. They have about 30 vans that park/load there. It is in an industrial park and I’ve not been there in a year or so things may have changed but no fences or chargers.

If they only need to load and charge the vans once a day I could see them letting people charge there during the day(CA tax credits for public charging). But if the vans need to charge/load multiple times a day they would need a Way to prioritized Amazon vans.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I expect these will be software locked for use by Amazon only - the same way Rivian will make the RAN DCFCs exclusive to Rivian vehicles.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Since I always like to bitch and moan, that's nice for Amazon, but where's my R1T? Yea, yea, yea...they gotta test 'em.??:angry:

Joewillie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm so happy to hear that Rivian's skateboard architecture is being thoroughly tested in this manner before widespread R1T & R1S vehicles hit the road. This alleviates a lot of fears I have for the earliest production units.

I get that the body and all the other systems on the civilian models will be drastically different - but the bones - the skateboard infrastructure, the drive units, batteries, the computers and software will take a beating this way.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
“This vehicle went from sketch, to design, to on-road testing with customer deliveries in just over a year”

Amazon really wanted to rub it in? If you need me, I’ll be watching YouTube videos from the 2018 LA Auto Show.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
“This vehicle went from sketch, to design, to on-road testing with customer deliveries in just over a year”

Amazon really wanted to rub it in? If you need me, I’ll be watching YouTube videos from the 2018 LA Auto Show.
Fast, good, and affordable. Pick 2.

Amazon has deeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets, so I think we know which 2 they choose.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That's actually a fascinating possibility - delivery vans and the gig economy in general might be the one use case where you need fast charging in and around cities and towns (vs. on highways). Curious to see how the charging infrastructure players respond to that need ...
Those appear to be the newer ChargePoint 125KW DFDCs.

EA is already doing a lot of investment in urban areas, here is a snapshot of sites existing or in development in the Phoenix area, and this does not include existing ChargePoint and EVGO sites. Similar things are happening in Vegas and Denver.

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans 1612454786849

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Those appear to be the newer ChargePoint 125KW DFDCs.

EA is already doing a lot of investment in urban areas, here is a snapshot of sites existing or in development in the Phoenix area, and this does not include existing ChargePoint and EVGO sites. Similar things are happening in Vegas and Denver.

1612454786849.png
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Looks like Seattle has quite a few under construction as well, although the details don't show how many chargers they're putting in per station. Looks like roughly 3-4 based on existing stations?

Rivian R1T R1S Amazon Officially Starts Deliveries With Rivian Vans 1612458265617

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Looks like Seattle has quite a few under construction as well, although the details don't show how many chargers they're putting in per station. Looks like roughly 3-4 based on existing stations?

1612458265617.png
EA always has a minimum of 4 stations at each site. One site in Phoenix has 8, one site in Tucson has 10.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Maybe not THAT version, but I love a Rivian van to compete with the 4wd Sprinter...even though they are ICE, those custom diesel 4wd Sprinters are absolutely sweet. If Rivian came along w/ an electric version, that would be my R1S replacement :)
Sponsored