Sponsored

Amazon makes a deal with Stellantis to buy electric Ram ProMaster delivery vans in 2023

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/5/2...-ram-promaster-electric-van-software-delivery

“Amazon announced that it will buy an undisclosed number of electric delivery vans from Stellantis in 2023. The automaker has said that it will roll out an all-electric version of its Ram ProMaster commercial van that year.

Stellantis, which is the company that formed last year from the merger of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group, has not officially revealed the electric vans. But Amazon says it will be the first commercial customer when they eventually enter production, with the two companies working together to put “thousands” of electric vans on the road.

Amazon has been working with Rivian, the buzzy electric vehicle company that went public last year in one of the biggest IPOs ever, on a fleet of electric delivery vehicles. Amazon, which owns about 20 percent of the company, has said it plans on ordering 100,000 vans from Rivian, in what is seen as one of the largest EV purchases in history.

“Thousands” of electric delivery vans coming to Amazon’s fleet
(Stellantis is also working with Waymo, the self-driving unit of Google’s parent company Alphabet, on a fleet of autonomous Ram ProMaster vans.)

In addition to the deal for the Ram EVs, Amazon and Stellantis also announced that they would be working together to develop in-car software for Stellantis’ lineup of cars, trucks, and vans. The deal will allow Amazon to integrate its software into “millions” of vehicles, the companies said.

The two companies will collaborate on software for the “digital cockpit” infotainment systems of Stellantis vehicles that will launch in 2024. Stellantis said it will use Amazon’s Alexa technology for voice-controlled features, “navigation, vehicle maintenance, ecommerce marketplaces, and payment services.”

“We’re excited to collaborate with Stellantis to transform the automotive industry and re-invent the in-vehicle experience,” said Andy Jassy, CEO of Amazon, in a statement.

While this isn’t the same as Volvo completely turning over its vehicle operating system to Google’s Android, it does give Amazon a stronger toehold in the auto industry and could help Stellantis compete with other software-leading car companies like Tesla.

This isn’t the first time that Amazon and Stellantis have collaborated. The two companies announced early last year that the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer would be the first vehicles to feature in-car Amazon FireTV. Amazon’s software is accessible from both the main display and rear seat screens, but privacy filters prevent the driver from watching shows while the vehicle is in motion.

Correction January 5th, 9:41AM: The electric vehicles purchased by Amazon will be Ram ProMaster vans, not Dodge. Ram is a separate brand from Dodge. A previous version of this story misstated that fact.”
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ouch. Amazon wants vans and they want them now. But is Stellantis really that close to producing an EV? Amazon certainly needs a lot of vans.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As much as I would like for Amazon to be Rivian exclusive, it simply wouldn't be good business for Amazon to have all their eggs in one basket so this really shouldn't surprise anyone. It will be interesting to see the specs on the RAM and also see just exactly how many vans Amazon ends up ordering.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

As much as I would like for Amazon to be Rivian exclusive, it simply wouldn't be good business for Amazon to have all their eggs in one basket so this really shouldn't surprise anyone. It will be interesting to see the specs on the RAM and also see just exactly how many vans Amazon ends up ordering.
Exactly they want to diversify. Sounds like Rivian will still be the biggest provider of vehicles to Amazon.
Amazon may have also wanted to sweeten the pot to get the deal to write the software - long term that is good for them.

Sponsored

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
The demand for these products will be massive. There is more than enough market space for both Rivian and Amazon to have other relationships.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Yeah, I don’t think there’s anyway to spin this. It’s not good news, but it may not be necessarily bad news either. Whether or not Amazon is going to buy more than 100,000 vans is the question: https://stocks.apple.com/AERJ4VNk6TSuxMnpzwWKK6Q

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Similarly it's a risk for Rivian to exclusively integrate Alexa

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I don’t see how this truly impacts Rivian other than short term stock twitches. Amazon is going to buy EV vans from anyone and everyone. Just as they do now with their ICE vans. All the EV makers combined can’t satisfy Amazon for the foreseeable future.

Sponsored

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
f*ck! should have sold the stock when it doubled...... thanks amazon..... guess you got what you wanted out of your investment, ford too... take the tech and run.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don’t see how this truly impacts Rivian other than short term stock twitches. Amazon is going to buy EV vans from anyone and everyone. Just as they do now with their ICE vans. All the EV makers combined can’t satisfy Amazon for the foreseeable future.
Agreed.

It's smart to diversify and not rely on one vendor. Amazon needs a LOT of vans.

I see this as a big nothing-burger. It amuses me to see people get riled up over this sort of thing.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Don't go replying with your logic and reasoning! Look at the pieces of sky all around us on the ground!
/s

Everyone I know is saying how bad this is but I don't see any impacts in the future, just as you stated.
Sponsored