Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Several weeks ago southern Michigan lost power. For the first three days I was thinking about how my (future) Rivian could have run my house. On day 4 of no power I realized that my Rivian and my house would be dead and I’d be SOL.
My power didn't go out, but it has in previous outages. When it was out, we still had options for charging locally but I didn't end up needing to use them. If I hypermile my 40 mile commute I can get 5-6 days out of my truck without charging even in the winter. We had been keeping our Volt as just an "in case" vehicle for extended area power outages, but decided now just to trade it in for the R1S since even when we lose power, it just hasn't been necessary.

We have a gas generator at home that will be enough to keep the house warm, and in a pinch could be used to charge the R1T. If Rivian eventually adds V2H capability, since we will have multiple EVs, our house doesn't have to go dark when we leave, we can swap EVs every few days and spend an hour at a public fast charger that still has power.

I think the real risk for EVs is a Carrington Event. But if that happens, everything is going to be fucked, not just EVs.

It looks like Amazon backing away. What are they backing away from? From EV’s in general and from Rivian.

That’s not a good look. It suggests that other people’s fears may be grounded in reality. That EV’s are too expensive and too reliant on electricity, which is a live source that could be stopped in an instant, vs fuel which lasts a while.
I mean maybe everyone saying this missed this news last year?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...es-abandons-plans-for-dozens-of-us-warehouses

Amazon is downsizing their operations because they are expecting the recession to continue to worsen. It's got nothing to do with EVs.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, the teeth on that "contract"! What a joke.
It's not a contract. It's a Work Order to the Agreement - as the document states extremely clearly dozens of times. You might want to educate yourself between the differences.

1678800130610.png

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's not a contract. It's a Work Order to the Agreement - as the document states extremely clearly dozens of times. You might want to educate yourself between the differences.

1678800130610.png
They aren't worth arguing against. There's zero effort put in to try to prove their case they just want to throw out any evidence you bring.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It looks like Amazon backing away. What are they backing away from? From EV’s in general and from Rivian.

That’s not a good look. It suggests that other people’s fears may be grounded in reality. That EV’s are too expensive and too reliant on electricity, which is a live source that could be stopped in an instant, vs fuel which lasts a while.

Consider if you were in a natural disaster situation where civilization temporarily collapsed.

Several weeks ago southern Michigan lost power. For the first three days I was thinking about how my (future) Rivian could have run my house. On day 4 of no power I realized that my Rivian and my house would be dead and I’d be SOL.

Now what if the power was out for weeks? I still could have hopped in my gas vehicle and driven elsewhere. Or if I had a gas generator I would have been fine all along.

I’m not crazy in thinking that the world could go to shit in the next decade. “The end of the world is just the beginning” is a good read, and only $2.99 in audiobook.

It’s likely that the world will be fine but maybe not. But all of that makes me question whether I want a reliable gas vehicle in a world with a ubiquitous gas delivery system or if I want to bet the farm on electric.

I’m obviously hedging. A few years ago I was talking myself out of a Rivian that I wanted so badly. Now I find I’m talking myself into one that I want less so.

All of that is to say that electrics have their place and may be the future, but lots of people are wondering if the future is now or within the decade, or if it’s a future that we should walk slowly and carefully to over the next 50 years. We’ll see.
My goodness, that’s a pretty bleak stance. Avoiding an EV because of a pending apocalypse. If the electricity were out for days you wouldn’t be pumping gas to refuel your generator.

On the other hand, I can see where a highway might be littered with abandoned EVs trying to outrun a hurricane. Humans aren’t very good at being prepared.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

This article I just found this morning pretty much restates exactly what I said.

I truly hope Amazon cares more about their investment than pride. If so, there's no reason they shouldn't let Rivian out of the exclusivity agreement. It will be a huge benefit to Rivian, investors and to Amazon's bottom line as their own stock price would skyrocket.

Rivian Stock Falls on Amazon News. It Might Be an Overreaction.
www.barrons.com/articles/rivian-stock-price-amazon-electric-truck-a1ea00f6

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
1678800130610.png

[/QUOTE]

1678800130610.png
Really, that's all you got?? Going for semantics now!!?? lol whatever! Media including WSJ, CNBC blah blah blah used "contract" in their press releases.
Nice try though.

New lows today when the market is up, 500.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Really, that's all you got?? Going for semantics now!!?? lol whatever! Media including WSJ, CNBC blah blah blah used "contract" in their press releases.
Nice try though.

New lows today when the market is up, 500.
Going for sematics, lol. Ask a judge or attorney about the "semantic" difference between an agreement and a contract. Oh well, you are in good company, being wrong along with the media outlets. You are also wrong in your claim about WSJ. The latest article clearly says agreement.

1678809484526.png

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
My goodness, that’s a pretty bleak stance. Avoiding an EV because of a pending apocalypse. If the electricity were out for days you wouldn’t be pumping gas to refuel your generator.

On the other hand, I can see where a highway might be littered with abandoned EVs trying to outrun a hurricane. Humans aren’t very good at being prepared.
Preparing with gasoline is easy though. Around here many have five gallon fuel canisters to get through weather events.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hurricane prone areas tend to run out of gasoline anyway, and people in ICEs end up abandoning their vehicles too. In an EV it's easy to charge the thing up to 100% the day before you need to evacuate and you have 200-300 miles of range in the average EV to get out of the path of the storm. Most people don't keep their gas car topped off like that.

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Going for sematics, lol. Ask a judge or attorney about the "semantic" difference between an agreement and a contract. Oh well, you are in good company, being wrong along with the media outlets.
Ouch! That hurts.

Lol, yes, because the public really needs the literal meaning of the document title, as if they really care.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Yes, ICE vehicles are so much more advantage during a hurricane evacuation, lol.
1678809892031.png

1678809930237.png

1678809967739.png

1678810009629.png

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Hurricane prone areas tend to run out of gasoline anyway, and people in ICEs end up abandoning their vehicles too. In an EV it's easy to charge the thing up to 100% the day before you need to evacuate and you have 200-300 miles of range in the average EV to get out of the path of the storm. Most people don't keep their gas car topped off like that.
I've lived in Charleston through multiple evacuations and the idea of not having to run to the gas station to fill up and fight with thousands of other drivers is very appealing.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I've lived in Charleston through multiple evacuations and the idea of not having to run to the gas station to fill up and fight with thousands of other drivers is very appealing.
Plus EVs are super efficient in slow traffic, compared to ICE vehicles since there's much less "idle" waste.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
My guess is that Rivian will have to agree to reduce the total number of vans Amazon must order in exchange for Rivian to get other buyers. I assume Rivian has a lot of interest or they wouldn't risk this relationship. If Amazon were to pull out Rivian would die overnight. I don't think either company wants that.

If this goes mostly well Rivian and therefore Amazon will be rewarded. It really depends on how much more Amazon is willing to invest (in a variety of ways).

I'm in the belief that Amazon or someone similar may ultimately just purchase Rivian.
Sponsored