First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
I've been driving (legally) for about 57 years. It has never bothered me to carry cans of gasoline in the bed of a pickup truck (some of which were pretty sketchy and in danger of imminent immolation all by themselves).

As mowing season approaches, I'm gonna need to haul 10 gallon jugs of gas to my shop to mow the 2+ acres surrounding it.
I just bought a new JD ZTR last summer. If I'd realized I could get an electric mower that would mow 2 acres for 1/2 the money I spent on it, I would have done that.

I'm just suddenly feeling uncomfortable about hauling around gasoline in the bed of the R1T. I have a small, lightweight trailer but it seems ridiculous to hook it up for 20 gallons of gas on a 7 mile trip. I also have a "back porch" that plugs into the hitch receiver, but I actually think that would be more dangerous if I'm rear-ended with gas cans strapped onto it.

Am I being a wuss here? Any thoughts? These are "good" gas cans (not the leaky kind).
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Man up :cool: and toss the cans in the bed of the T. She's an adventure vehicle, which includes adventures to go fill up cans with Dinosaur Juice!

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I've started using these No-Spill gas cans and MUCH prefer them over the old regular plastic ones. They're true to word and don't leak, splash or have any issues. So much so that I carry them inside my SUV after filling up, something I would've never considered doing with regular cans. Is it smart to carry inside a vehicle? Probably not.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

You must not live on the east coast. A few years ago we had a regional shortage caused by a ransomware attack on a pipline operator's billing software, that turned into a shortage caused by people panic-buying. People were filling everything they could find with gasoline. Unfortunately, most of them survived. 😆

Rivian R1T R1S Am I turning into a Wuss? Uncomfortable with transporting gasoline in R1T bed 1679515486100

Rivian R1T R1S Am I turning into a Wuss? Uncomfortable with transporting gasoline in R1T bed 1679515557762

Rivian R1T R1S Am I turning into a Wuss? Uncomfortable with transporting gasoline in R1T bed 1679515601305

Sponsored

ebellinder2

First Name
ED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
Retired electrician
Your very best and safest way to transport flammables is using a class 1 steel safety can. An approved safety class 1 can has spring loaded fill and vent caps that will vent pressure if needed and have a screen flame arrestor in the spouts. Also a good practice to leave some room for fuel expansion is in warmer climates. Also remember a fuel container riding in a truck bed expecially a plastic truck bed generates a significant static potential

Never fill the can while the can is in the bed or on the tailgate. You need to remove the can and place on the ground, then touch the fuel nozzle to the side of the can to neutralize any static potential. Then place the nozzle in the can fill spout and while maintaining metal to metal contact with the can and nozzle at all times begin filling. I also like to add a strap around the can handle to prevent tip over. Be safe!!

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

If there was ever going to be a thermal event associated with the traction battery, that can of gasoline would be the least of your worries.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Unless you happen to drive through a fire you’ll be fine….probably.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Sounds like your best option is to get a push mower, push it 7 miles to the gas station, fill it, and push it back home, repeat as needed. People may call you things, Wuss won't be one of them.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I don't understand, what is your concern about transporting gas in your truck bed?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I've been driving (legally) for about 57 years. It has never bothered me to carry cans of gasoline in the bed of a pickup truck (some of which were pretty sketchy and in danger of imminent immolation all by themselves).

As mowing season approaches, I'm gonna need to haul 10 gallon jugs of gas to my shop to mow the 2+ acres surrounding it.
I just bought a new JD ZTR last summer. If I'd realized I could get an electric mower that would mow 2 acres for 1/2 the money I spent on it, I would have done that.

I'm just suddenly feeling uncomfortable about hauling around gasoline in the bed of the R1T. I have a small, lightweight trailer but it seems ridiculous to hook it up for 20 gallons of gas on a 7 mile trip. I also have a "back porch" that plugs into the hitch receiver, but I actually think that would be more dangerous if I'm rear-ended with gas cans strapped onto it.

Am I being a wuss here? Any thoughts? These are "good" gas cans (not the leaky kind).
Yes, but if you’re uncomfortable then short of installing a fuel cell, the answer would be to trade the JD ZTR for a Greenworks 60V Pro or something equivalent.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Would an Automower work?

It wouldn't replace your riding lawn mower, but could supplement it.
Sponsored