Sponsored

Am I missing something... are people uneducated about EVs and won over by free charging?

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Personally I would take no taxes for the next decade or two.
Thats what I am working on, to see how the waters fair, to reclaim my already unused tax credits. Right now, with our government, and the state of affairs, its not a gamble I am willing to take at this moment. Next year, if I can reclaim what I think I can, might be a different story.

The other issue is, I already reclaimed those 4000ish federal taxes with my 2 kids. This year it will work, or at least thats what my tax advisor says. She tells me with me not claiming any federal tax deductions, and me taking delivery of my S, I would be able to off-set my normal burden with my EV Tax Credit next year. After that, it would depend on how they change the tax code.

For it to really work.. I mean really work... I would need my wifes business to triple in size this year. It is possible. But so far... She has had this business for 3 years. Although not operating in a negative, the positive cash flow is minimal. The only advantage for us to even keeping it open is the tax write offs.

Right now.. I just get to enjoy my S, who I finally nicknamed "Bolt".
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I could lower it by 30k if I didnt install a battery backup..

But its still a lot.
This is a Tesla Kit, for Solar Panels, where I want the Solar Shingle..
1706982942234.png

If I were to build it to meet my current needs, with no future proofing, it brings it down some, but I would rather have the future energy demand met..
1706984783923.png

Plus Power Wall
Total is....
1706983843472.png

Plus electrical panel, 3000 Square foot house that would also need wiring to bring to code (Built in 1978).

As I said, I want the shingles, which would bring the cost up a unknown amount.

There might be Federal and State tax incentives, but I dont count on those, as I didnt even qualify for the federal tax credit when I bought the Rivian. I did for the state thou.
Did you get a quote for the panel upgrade? They only replace the panel and mast unless there is an issue with how much load can come in from the street.

When I did my solar the panel upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp was $2500, for a house built in 1964.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Did you get a quote for the panel upgrade? They only replace the panel and mast unless there is an issue with how much load can come in from the street.

When I did my solar the panel upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp was $2500, for a house built in 1964.
Havent even gone down the panel upgrade, or replacement, quote route yet.... Other than to say when I installed my Jacuzzi 5 years ago, the electrician said that my panel was at, or just barely over, capacity, and the ground rail was completely wrong. Its something I know that needs to be done. He ball parked on what I told him we had inside the house, and what he saw in the breaker panel, and said 18-25k.

One breaker, controls all the lights on the upper floor, plus the OTR Microwave, and sockets in the living room. Which it should NOT be that way.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Havent even gone down the panel upgrade, or replacement, quote route yet.... Other than to say when I installed my Jacuzzi 5 years ago, the electrician said that my panel was at, or just barely over, capacity, and the ground rail was completely wrong. Its something I know that needs to be done. He ball parked on what I told him we had inside the house, and what he saw in the breaker panel, and said 18-25k.

One breaker, controls all the lights on the upper floor, plus the OTR Microwave, and sockets in the living room. Which it should NOT be that way.
I would certainly get a couple of quotes as that just sounds very high to me. Doing a quick web search average cost is under 2k and the 2500 I paid was at the top of the range.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
You get 30% off all if that if you have the federal tax burden to cover it. That would bring it down to $62k. And power walls probably won’t pay for themselves. So just solar would be $45k. And that’s for a gigantic sized system. That’s less than $2/watt.
I did add a power wall after 3 years of my solar but I think it was a waste. The only time my power went out was for three days. There was a problem, however, the same storm covered my panels with a foot of snow. The power wall lasted for a day and a half. So I had to run my generator for the rest of the time anyway.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did add a power wall after 3 years of my solar but I think it was a waste. The only time my power went out was for three days. There was a problem, however, the same storm covered my panels with a foot of snow. The power wall lasted for a day and a half. So I had to run my generator for the rest of the time anyway.
I put in a Powerwall a year and a half ago, run the house off of it everyday from 4pm to 9pm when my peak rates are between 50-60 cents a kWh. In TOU areas with high peak rates definitely worth installing one.

ev_d

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
The problem I see is that the infrastructure can't really handle all of these people getting free charging, especially with some of the slower charging EVs out there. I recently stopped at an EA charger to add some quick juice on a cold day. There were four chargers, all full of people "free charging." I glanced at the screens to see how long I would have to wait for a charger... two Kia Niros were charging, one of them in the 350 kW charger... one of the Kias had been charging for 2 hours and 12 minutes when I looked!!! He was only at 83% and was charging at 13 kW. 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The problem I see is that the infrastructure can't really handle all of these people getting free charging, especially with some of the slower charging EVs out there. I recently stopped at an EA charger to add some quick juice on a cold day. There were four chargers, all full of people "free charging." I glanced at the screens to see how long I would have to wait for a charger... two Kia Niros were charging, one of them in the 350 kW charger... one of the Kias had been charging for 2 hours and 12 minutes when I looked!!! He was only at 83% and was charging at 13 kW. 🤦‍♂️
Holy hell. These people with free charging will likely not be using the Superchargers when they open

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I put in a Powerwall a year and a half ago, run the house off of it everyday from 4pm to 9pm when my peak rates are between 50-60 cents a kWh. In TOU areas with high peak rates definitely worth installing one.
Definitely worth while , but In Nevada, I have been grandfathered into Net metering and the Kw price NVE pays me is the same I pay for NVEs Kw’s. That is: dollar for dollar. So TOU doesn’t work in this case.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
Exactly. They produce for a long time. Even if they are warranted for 20-30 years they will still produce after that.

I installed my 24 panels in 2018 and it was $15k after rebates. While panels are slightly more efficient, the way the panel companies are getting more power per panel is by making bigger panels. Mine are 325W panels but newer ones are over 400 W but bigger in surface area.
Don’t think it matters what size the panels are. I use every available square foot of roof area. So I think the smaller panels get me more total sq ft. Mine are 65” x 40’ 270W.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Have you seen the Costco gas lines? Same mentality
Well, there are some reasons, beyond the "mentality." Costco gas lines do move fairly quickly. Costco pumps usually work. Costco checks all of their pumps hourly to be sure no one has slipped a credit card skimmer on it. And Costco gas is also Top Tier gasoline, so it's probably better than you'll find at most competitively priced gas stations.
https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/
Sponsored