Sponsored

Am I going to get any answers on leathers or fabrics??

Astro-Goggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
First I posted a question asking if real leathers (or fabrics) might become available. No answers.

Then I asked (in a second thread) why the leather/fabric thread had been locked. That second thread was deleted.

Explanation for #1 (I found later) said that thread had led to "off-topic ethical discussions".

For my part, I never asked for or wanted an ethical discussion (nor even saw any - if there were any), just an answer to the question I posed. Why does everything have to be about politics? All I wanted was an answer.

I guess I give up, apparently no answers will be forthcoming. If anyone has an answer, please PM me.

I don't know why thread #2 was deleted.

I have to say this is pretty frustrating for a new forum member!
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They have not announced anything other than what you have seen.
If you do not like the interior materials, I see two options:
  1. Don't order a Rivian
  2. Take it to a good upholstery shop afer delivery and get a custom interior put in that is to your exact specifications.
Most people have a different opinion on the durability than you do. Cheap leather doesn't last or wear well, nor do the cheap synthetics. I doubt anyone is going to change your mind about what you want, nor do a I see Rivian going away from their vision (whether you agree with it or not). It is possible that at some point in the future, some of their vehicles will have a fabric seat option, but nothing in the near term.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I just assumed all leather was “vegan” based on what cows eat... ?

OP
OP

Astro-Goggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
  1. Don't order a Rivian
  2. Take it to a good upholstery shop afer delivery and get a custom interior put in that is to your exact specifications.
Most people have a different opinion on the durability than you do. Cheap leather doesn't last or wear well, nor do the cheap synthetics. I doubt anyone is going to change your mind about what you want, nor do a I see Rivian going away from their vision
1) If there were a leather (or fabric) option it would not and should not be cheap leather or fabric in a vehicle that costs as much as these do. Even my much less expensive Ridgelines had leather that lasted very well, over 10 years in the case of the first one. I would point out that there is a reason that mainstream manufacturers go with leather so often.

2)IMHO if "Vegan Leather" is part of the Rivian "vision", it is going to result in a less durable product - and while you may not believe that any more than I believe that the synthetic leather will last, ultimately time will tell and I suspect there are gonna be some very unhappy Rivian owners in a few years.

I guess that I will not be one of them. Or maybe I will be once if time and experience causes them to realize that this particular part of their "vision" was folly from a practical POV.

In any case, I guess I am done here.

OP
OP

Astro-Goggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
I just assumed all leather was “vegan” based on what cows eat... ?
:)

I will avoid the ethics part of this - there are some pretty good arguments on both sides of that. I would caution folks not to simply assume that something is better because is is in fashion with one political POV or the other, sometimes these things are not at all obvious. Just one non-automotive example:

Bags Podcast

Do not mistake me for some crazy right winger - I have 2000 watts of solar on my shop, spent a ton of money on new and efficient windows and a variable speed and super efficient heat pump, I recycle everything they will let me (which is not enough) - but facts are critical and no one political point of view is always in agreement with the science.

As for me, I will probably not be back to this forum since the seats issue has removed Rivian from my short list of electrics. Too bad really, they look great in almost every other way.

Have a good evening and stay safe. BYE :(

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
:)

I will avoid the ethics part of this - there are some pretty good arguments on both sides of that. I would caution folks not to simply assume that something is better because is is in fashion with one political POV or the other, sometimes these things are not at all obvious. Just one non-automotive example:

Bags Podcast

Do not mistake me for some crazy right winger - I have 2000 watts of solar on my shop, spent a ton of money on new and efficient windows and a variable speed and super efficient heat pump, I recycle everything they will let me (which is not enough) - but facts are critical and no one political point of view is always in agreement with the science.

As for me, I will probably not be back to this forum since the seats issue has removed Rivian from my short list of electrics. Too bad really, they look great in almost every other way.

Have a good evening and stay safe. BYE :(
well, I guess you probably won't see this, but, for me, if I have to get seat covers in a few years, OK...maybe the vegan stuff will last, though.

The vegan thing is a clear marketing issue (well, maybe the designers are sincere). VW is also going vegan seating for the id4 ev. In their case, they specify that the seat materials are from sugar cane residue fiber. That gets them away from, hey, it's not from animals, but it is from oil.

correction: VW from apple waste: The Seats in the New Volkswagen EV Are Made From Apple Leather (Updated May 2019) | LIVEKINDLY

Last edited:

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: