Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Found a great (and much less expensive) option to a rooftop tent. This is the Crua Culla. It's insulated and its structure is inflatable, so can be set up with no poles or stakes in about 30 seconds using the Rivian's onboard compressor. The tent fits the bed perfectly. It has tent-stake loops at the four corners that I secured to the truck with loops of velcro.

Just camped in Joshua Tree with the setup and the tent was great in 30 mph gusting winds. The only downside is the tent isn't waterproof, so I sprayed the exterior with tent sealer and also bought a tarp to go over the tent when I camp and heavy rain is expected.

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative to Rooftop Tent -- Crua Culla Insulated Air Tent in R1T bed CBBA3C0D-3417-40F7-B790-60168B538D74_1_105_c
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Nobody camps on the ground anymore?
FWIW I camp on the ground in all kinds of conditions more than most people I know (lots of backpacking), but I love a good rooftop tent. There for totally different scenarios.

Rooftop tents are great if you're multi-day car camping and not at a single fixed basecamp (e.g., a multi-day overlanding trip), especially if you're dispersed camping. Super fast to set up and break down, you don't have to worry about level/dry/smooth ground, and they're pretty damn comfy.

I have lots of motorcycle camping and pre-RTT car camping under my belt, and making/breaking camp every day over days or weeks gets exhausting. I did a 14-day offroad motorcycle trip years ago and I wanted to throw my tent in a garbage disposal by the end of it (and it was a damn easy tent). And you might get skunked out of a good campsite because there aren't enough smooth/level spots or they're super rocky. By comparison, I've already had several trips with the R1T where I can just self-level on some hellish pointy wet surface, or deep snow, or on a slope, and not care because my RTT is level, dry, and comfy. I could camp in a foot of running water if I wanted to.

They also have big disadvantages. If you're at an established campground for a few days, a ground tent is nicer because you don't have to collapse it every time you go out a day hike. My last RTT weekend was frustrating because I had to break camp mid-day to go get firewood - a ground tent could have just sat there.

Anyway. Everything has its place.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I’ve been camping in all sorts of conditions, and have never had an RTT, but have used the bed of a truck MANY times as my “tent” - usually with a shell, but several times without. One of those “without” times was under a tarp in the snow, waking up in the middle of the night to a heavily snow-covered tarp tapping me in the nose. That was hilarious.

Would love an RTT. Not breaking down a tent - especially if you’re moving around dispersed sites - would be great. And the extra comfort would be delightful.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have tried a RTT. I didn't care for it. But that was on the top of an SUV. Maybe one at the height of the bed rails would be better. Rivian did improve one of the issues of a RTT by adding the self leveling. Not sure if one can get me outta my hammock though.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@CGM55082 great tent and thanks for sharing. Which size is this one - the two or three person version?

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Completely agree with Brewbud if there are trees around I’m in my Hennessy Hammock! Best sleep I’ve ever had camping…

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Eight years in the Army beat that out of me. I enjoy camping and the outdoors, but I’ll be as comfy as I like. 🤪

Sponsored

H2Onu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Semi-retired
I picked up the Crulla. Looks like it will work great. What do you recommend in terms of a rain fly… going to be camping along the coast which gets Misty/foggy. Just a tarp or a real rain fly?
Thanks

BlueRivianR1T

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I picked up the Crulla. Looks like it will work great. What do you recommend in terms of a rain fly… going to be camping along the coast which gets Misty/foggy. Just a tarp or a real rain fly?
Thanks
Hi. I picked up the Crua as well. What adapter did you use to pump up the tent if you used the on board compressor?

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR