Sponsored

Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable?

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
I find myself never using the camp speaker. Neat accessory... I guess I'm glad I have it... in definitely totally unrelated news... maybe.... I really miss having a proper glovebox (I know there's a center console, I want more space). This leads to the obvious question: has anyone manufactured, or made printable files, for a "drawer" that's the same size and shape as the camp speaker, but is just an empty container that fits in that area?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
RJ said during a recent interview that a future option would be a small storage container in place of the speaker. No details though.

Scaringe did reveal two new options on the way: one being a small storage container in place of the Bluetooth speaker that lives beneath the front seats. It will use the same latch as the speaker to keep it from the danger of becoming a projectile in a moving vehicle. He also said an updated version of the camp kitchen is in development for the gear tunnel. The discontinued version of the camp kitchen took up practically the entire gear tunnel, but Scaringe promises the updated version will be a more reasonable size.

https://news.yahoo.com/rivian-ceo-ev-maker-smaller-143000818.html

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
That would be cool, with additional USB ports on it for charging, since we know the back of that spot has power for charging the speaker...

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
That would be cool, with additional USB ports on it for charging, since we know the back of that spot has power for charging the speaker...
Better yet, design the new accessory with an external-facing 12V integrated (drawing power from existing infrastructure that charges the camp speaker). That would address multiple issues with one item.

Sponsored

kryptik-r1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've been wanting something here too since I got my R1S back in Aug. So, I've been tinkering and printed this. It's still a work in progress, but I'll likely end up with 2 versions. 1 that is this shell plus a pull out drawer and a 2nd in which the front is enclosed with the access opening in the top so that to access you pull the entire bin out. I'll likely end up preferring the latter minus the potential wear on the latch.

The downside is the latch doesn't lock as I'm guessing it uses the electrical charge points with the speaker to detect there's something there. I'm not interested in messing with the electrical stuff since I don't want to accidentally trigger issues/errors with the vehicle so for now the latch just has a nice snug hold, but not a lockable grip so to speak.

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? IMG_9964

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? IMG_9967

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? IMG_9966

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

RJ said during a recent interview that a future option would be a small storage container in place of the speaker. No details though.
can't wait to see what Rivian comes up but based on all their other accessories we know its going to be pricey. hoping a 3rd party comes up with one.

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've been wanting something here too since I got my R1S back in Aug. So, I've been tinkering and printed this. It's still a work in progress, but I'll likely end up with 2 versions. 1 that is this shell plus a pull out drawer and a 2nd in which the front is enclosed with the access opening in the top so that to access you pull the entire bin out. I'll likely end up preferring the latter minus the potential wear on the latch.

The downside is the latch doesn't lock as I'm guessing it uses the electrical charge points with the speaker to detect there's something there. I'm not interested in messing with the electrical stuff since I don't want to accidentally trigger issues/errors with the vehicle so for now the latch just has a nice snug hold, but not a lockable grip so to speak.

IMG_9964.jpeg

IMG_9967.jpeg

IMG_9966.jpeg
Great work on this! Gives a reference point for future ideas! Thanks for this.

kryptik-r1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Top bin version just a mock up. I decided to fill in a bit of the gaps on the side and top so it now has kind of a bloated blimp look, but it should also allow for less wiggle. there's 2 nubs inside the slot housing that required me to notch out a bit of the rear left and right, but that should also aid in being seated proper as I don't intend to make the adjusted sides and top snug, just less gappy if you will. I also notched out some of the front bottom area to allow for an underneath finger slot to pull this bin out. I took advantage of the fact that there's that bottom section of the "blimp" as I'm calling it to help also give a slightly hidden at first glance so taht it's harder to tell from an above view how to take the bin out. The purpose of the bin for me is to be as flush looking as possible thereby making it somewhat "secretive" as to how to remove it. I won't be spending the time printing this version yet as I need to pick up some more filament. So, I'll save that for another day.

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? prototype_vers2_front

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? prototype_vers2_to

Rivian R1T R1S Alternative drawer for camp speaker slot bonus if lockable? prototype_vers2_side

Last edited:

Sponsored

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

That pull out drawer would be almost perfect for a gun safe to store your concealed carry

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
That pull out drawer would be almost perfect for a gun safe to store your concealed carry
Double that, they should totally make and market a "Gear Safe" option - something that needs a PIN entered to remove, etc. In my Hummer I had the console safe and it used those annoying rotary dials so usually kept one of the four set so only would have to move that last number to open it up, but still was a bit of a pain.

kryptik-r1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
either options would likely work fine for this purpose. My hesitation with a firearm in the drawer vers would be the lack of full locking ability by the latch. The last thing you need is to attempt to pull out the drawer only to pull the drawer and drawer chassis out accidentally. At which point the top bin would be safest and most consistent in expectation when you pull it out.

just my thoughts given i’ve been messing with my prototype of the drawer vers. I’m sure improvements to my original design can be made, but for now I plan to just stick with the 2 prototypes.