FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

I'd like to see what everyone else's experience with this and how their R1Ts compare.
When I took delivery of my R1T back in Feb, I noticed the steering wheel isn't straight/centered. To keep the truck straight, it has to be turned ~2-3 degrees to the left. If I center the wheel, the truck drifts hard right. I few weeks later, I requested an alignment and to center the steering wheel. I got the alignment done and the Denver SC gave me the before and after results, and talk about seeing red... They were surprised it left the factory with the numbers off so bad. The wheel still wasn't centered, though tracks a hair better. It still drifts to the right constantly if not in control.

Since then, and I am not 100% certain this started since the alignment, but if I hit bumps or manhole covers at speeds from 40-70mph, the truck shakes side to side pretty violently. It almost feels like the chassis is going to come off the frame and the truck hydroplane, despite the pavement being dry. It's actually kind of scary since it feels like you're going to lose control. Same bumps in my WRX or Forester and it doesn't move besides the normal clunking sound.

I scheduled another service request to center the wheel among fixing the passenger door because it was rubbing the quarter panel and took off paint.
When I arrived and discussed that the truck still drifts to the right, they said that is normal due to the truck's weight, how big the wheels are, and how electric cars work. Also the crowing of the road, but even on flat surfaces like a parking lot, it tends to drift right. When discussing the violent shaking on bumps, they said that is normal due to the air suspension and the weight of the vehicle. After spending 6 hours there waiting for repairs to be done, they sent me on my way. The wheel is still off and everything still drifts right...

Does anyone else experience the same issues with the off center wheel, drifting right, and violent shaking on bumps?
Sponsored

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
I drive a truck that weighs just as much and it doesn't drift to the left or right. They are feeding you BS.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
The wheel still wasn't centered, though tracks a hair better. It still drifts to the right constantly if not in control.
FYI, when my truck had the original 21", it was going straight and the steering wheel was centered, but now after they replaced with 22" the truck drifts to the right and the steering wheel is slightly turning to the right when it drifts. I paid for alignment, but that did not fix it. Have service appt. in few weeks time.

It sounds like they trust the computer telling them the alignment numbers more than driving the truck to experience if it is drifting.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
post your alignment sheet if you can. the "violent shaking" sounds like a problem, perhaps something is not torqued properly. this is where words fail us because it is really difficult to fully describe symptoms like this, really need a test drive to understand the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrictionlessLube

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

FYI, when my truck had the original 21", it was going straight and the steering wheel was centered, but now after they replaced with 22" the truck drifts to the right and the steering wheel is slightly turning to the right when it drifts. I paid for alignment, but that did not fix it. Have service appt. in few weeks time.

It sounds like they trust the computer telling them the alignment numbers more than driving the truck to experience if it is drifting.
The first time I went in, a tech did a ride along with me before service and agreed it drifted.
The second time I went in, the tech drove it before service and agreed partly and even tapped into a diagnostic screen while driving and the steering wheel was -2 to -3 degrees, but still said some drift is normal and the shaking on bumps is normal.

When I got my key back, he said it took longer on the realignment since the lead tech took over and they did an alignment training day.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine doesn't do that at all.

OP
OP
FrictionlessLube

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

post your alignment sheet if you can. the "violent shaking" sounds like a problem, perhaps something is not torqued properly. this is where words fail us because it is really difficult to fully describe symptoms like this, really need a test drive to understand the problem.
Here are the results they gave me from the first alignment. I should have asked for the same thing on the second....
Rivian R1T R1S Alignment, hitting bumps, and off center steering wheel alignment

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm also in Denver, have had some of the same issues. Within 1 week of delivery, I scheduled service (very easily I will add) for the truck pulling slightly to the right as well as my front left suspension sitting lower than the other 3 in various settings. They ended up replacing the left front strut and also putting it on the alignment machine. Said everything was good to go. Brought it home, same suspension issues and truck still pulls slightly to the right. It's not bad, but it's just enough to be noticeable for me. I could probably live with it as-is, but I feel like for what I paid for the vehicle it would be perfect.

After downloading the latest update last night, I have noticed my suspension seems to have leveled out. I'm going to keep an eye on it the next few days as I've only driven it twice but it looks to be better and more calibrated. This would be good news for me if true!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Here are the results they gave me from the first alignment. I should have asked for the same thing on the second....
alignment.jpg
Hard to say based on the alignment alone without confirming there are no other mechanical issues, but with the amount of cross caster (and with the right side being less than the left), I'm not surprised the truck was pulling right but got a little better after the initial alignment. And the original toe was pretty far out of spec in a way that would not contribute to a stable steering feel (toe out, front and rear). That amount of toe would also chew through tires more quickly relative to a proper alignment. Camber is still a little high, not what I would consider problematic, but reducing it a little might make the vehicle feel a tad more stable. I still don't believe the shaking is normal or attributable to the alignment, regardless of how bad it was from the factory, and could be a sign of a bigger suspension problem.

Would be interesting to know if 1st alignment "after" was identical to 2nd alignment "before" or if alignment specs had changed in between (indicating a suspension problem).

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrictionlessLube

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

Update 4/6:
While showing off my truck to a few coworkers, one noticed my rear tires are half bald. 2,400 miles on it. 2 alignments. This could be my issue with the off center wheel, drifting, 0 traction on just a tiny amount of snow and slush, and violent shaking side to side hitting bumps... Another ticket submitted...

Rivian R1T R1S Alignment, hitting bumps, and off center steering wheel IMG_3219

Rivian R1T R1S Alignment, hitting bumps, and off center steering wheel IMG_3220 (2)

Rivian R1T R1S Alignment, hitting bumps, and off center steering wheel IMG_3222

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Your alignment is borked. I just got my truck back from the 4th, and successful, attempt at alignment, which required the intervention of a corporate expert on the topic.

There are 3+ reasons why you are having such a hard time with the alignment:
1) The tech they keep putting on your truck to align it is simply not able to do the job. Apparently, the alignment racks are a little tricky.
2) You have a borked suspension component somewhere, which will require inspection to eliminate as a cause
3) You have a borked subframe - front or rear - that needs to be addressed. This is apparently more common than we thought (still a small percentage of trucks, but non-zero).

I’d get Service on the phone, have them walk you through every possible source of alignment problems, and get it in to get it dealt with.

Like I said - it took them 4 tries to get it right, and then it was only due to having an in-house corporate tech (“roaming expert”) that they finally got it pretty much right.

OP
OP
FrictionlessLube

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

Your alignment is borked. I just got my truck back from the 4th, and successful, attempt at alignment, which required the intervention of a corporate expert on the topic.

There are 3+ reasons why you are having such a hard time with the alignment:
1) The tech they keep putting on your truck to align it is simply not able to do the job. Apparently, the alignment racks are a little tricky.
2) You have a borked suspension component somewhere, which will require inspection to eliminate as a cause
3) You have a borked subframe - front or rear - that needs to be addressed. This is apparently more common than we thought (still a small percentage of trucks, but non-zero).

I’d get Service on the phone, have them walk you through every possible source of alignment problems, and get it in to get it dealt with.

Like I said - it took them 4 tries to get it right, and then it was only due to having an in-house corporate tech (“roaming expert”) that they finally got it pretty much right.
I had a feeling it could be an even deeper issue. My 2nd alignment I was told the lead tech did the alignment and did a training day with every one. That’s worrisome if this got worse on the second try. How did you get this roaming expert in house for you?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have just recently been experiencing side to side motion when going over bumps t higher speed. I’ve had the truck for almost a year and it just started a month or so ago. I have appointment with Rivian Service scheduled.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I'd like to see what everyone else's experience with this and how their R1Ts compare.
When I took delivery of my R1T back in Feb, I noticed the steering wheel isn't straight/centered. To keep the truck straight, it has to be turned ~2-3 degrees to the left. If I center the wheel, the truck drifts hard right. I few weeks later, I requested an alignment and to center the steering wheel. I got the alignment done and the Denver SC gave me the before and after results, and talk about seeing red... They were surprised it left the factory with the numbers off so bad. The wheel still wasn't centered, though tracks a hair better. It still drifts to the right constantly if not in control.

Since then, and I am not 100% certain this started since the alignment, but if I hit bumps or manhole covers at speeds from 40-70mph, the truck shakes side to side pretty violently. It almost feels like the chassis is going to come off the frame and the truck hydroplane, despite the pavement being dry. It's actually kind of scary since it feels like you're going to lose control. Same bumps in my WRX or Forester and it doesn't move besides the normal clunking sound.

I scheduled another service request to center the wheel among fixing the passenger door because it was rubbing the quarter panel and took off paint.
When I arrived and discussed that the truck still drifts to the right, they said that is normal due to the truck's weight, how big the wheels are, and how electric cars work. Also the crowing of the road, but even on flat surfaces like a parking lot, it tends to drift right. When discussing the violent shaking on bumps, they said that is normal due to the air suspension and the weight of the vehicle. After spending 6 hours there waiting for repairs to be done, they sent me on my way. The wheel is still off and everything still drifts right...

Does anyone else experience the same issues with the off center wheel, drifting right, and violent shaking on bumps?
If SC had gaslit me about the experience of driving the truck like they are doing to you I may have rejected it. That is NOT normal. Sure, it should fall off a crowned road a bit but the bounce/shake is not ok and is a safety hazard.
Go up the chain of command, mention the lemon law in your state. They need to figure it out and make it right.
Sponsored