domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

The only Alexa commands I use is for a feature that the truck doesn't support natively.
"Alexa, play Butthole Surfers Radio from Pandora"
Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
No, because I shouldnā€™t have to let a 3rd-party company listen to and track my activity just to do something as simple as enter a destination. I donā€™t have to do this in any other vehicleā€”my 2015 Tesla handles audio prompts fine, because they use an in-house solution.

Alexa was always something that concerned me before I bought the truck. The fact that I could disable the wake word is the only reason I could overlook it.

I donā€™t have any of that spyware-in-a-box garbage in my house, either. Technically itā€™s on my phone (Apple), but I donā€™t use it much and the wake word is disabled there, too.

Iā€™m not paranoid, Iā€™ve just been around and in this industry long enough to know better than to give up privacy that I can never get back.
They probably won't drop Alexa since Amazon is a major player.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The most useful Alexa command is one you have to do a bit of setup for.

"Alexa open/close garage door"

Sponsored

bearcats513

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford Maverick, Chevrolet Bolt
Clubs

Wow, I find Alexa very helpful! I don't know how many times me and the family have a question that we just ask Alexa to answer for us. She's been pretty flawless for us.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
How about--"Alexa, open power tonneau cover without crinkling it"

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I had Alexa disabled when I took delivery of the truck. After about a month I decided to turn it on. Since I had cancelled my Prime subscription, the use of Amazon music was not an option, and I just never found any compelling reason to use voice commands for anything at all. But most of the time I'm in the truck, I'm with my family, so it's so noisy, voice commands really just aren't possible. After two weeks, I turned it back off and really haven't missed it at all.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
One of the more useful prompts (for me) was to ask her to skip "15 seconds" or "1 minute" on podcasts on Spotify to get past adverts.

It's at best a 50/50 shot it will work. She says 'something went wrong' or just beeps back at me a lot of the time.

Last edited:

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
No, because I shouldnā€™t have to let a 3rd-party company listen to and track my activity just to do something as simple as enter a destination. I donā€™t have to do this in any other vehicleā€”my 2015 Tesla handles audio prompts fine, because they use an in-house solution.

Alexa was always something that concerned me before I bought the truck. The fact that I could disable the wake word is the only reason I could overlook it.

I donā€™t have any of that spyware-in-a-box garbage in my house, either. Technically itā€™s on my phone (Apple), but I donā€™t use it much and the wake word is disabled there, too.

Iā€™m not paranoid, Iā€™ve just been around and in this industry long enough to know better than to give up privacy that I can never get back.
If you've been in the industry long enough, you know that privacy is a myth. Having a crappy voice command system doesn't make it any worse because you have things like the internet, credit cards, a cell phone that despite you not wanting it to listen IS LISTENING (and this has been proven time immemorial), oh AND a $100k truck that sends your every tiniest data back to their company, kinda like Tesla did. Yes, it probably even knows that your right side butt cheek weighs more than your left because you're right handed and your wallet weighs 6oz, from all those credit cards that track you.

THAT being said (privacy people *eye roll*) - That $100k truck SHOULD understand you and have a command for just about everything including some things it doesn't. Like you should be able to switch to sports mode by saying "Alex - enable sport mode" at the freeway onramp light, so when you look over at the idiot in the ICE sports car, you don't have to push anything, you just floor it and go. But that feature isn't listed either. It doesn't even support using a wake word OTHER than Alexa.... You know like "computer" like the home version.

Or the fact that that "voice assistant" should save the dash cam view (oh wait, Rivian doesn't have that feature) every time you shout "asshole", even if you don't use the wake word.

First generation software people... Remember, Tesla did almost none of this when it first came out. Hopefully Rivian gets some major upgrades pushed soon, you know, by June, when you've promised to have all of us in our R1S.

#mondaymorningrant

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

If you've been in the industry long enough, you know that privacy is a myth.
I read recently about tax preparers sending data about their clients to Facebook. We may no longer expect privacy, but we can still be shocked when our privacy is violated.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I read recently about tax preparers sending data about their clients to Facebook. We may no longer expect privacy, but we can still be shocked when our privacy is violated.
Only shocked if you think privacy is a thing. That being said, I'd totally fire a tax person for sending me stuff through Facebook (if I was to use such a horrible social platform).

If you want privacy, I've heard of a listing in a newspaper that gave a physical address to come see a 1964 ford for cash only offers, pretty sure that's about as private as you get, until you have to register it... and someone realizes you just made a steal on a 64 mustang - thus you end up in every news media out there.

Otisbrick

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Physician
If you use audible you can say Alexa, resume audiobook. It will then pick up where you left off.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I disabled the wake word and wake Alexa with the left steering wheel button. Works great for making calls. Havenā€™t used it much other than that.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

If you use audible you can say Alexa, resume audiobook. It will then pick up where you left off.
How? Through your phone? Audible isn't integrated in the vehicle, so how does Alexa control it?
Sponsored